PC Headsets for VOIP

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi Guys,

Does any one use a headset for Skype or similar VOIP setup?

My 6yr old son will be starting languages classes via distance education (I think French or Latin this upcoming term) and we need to purchase a headset w/mic for him.

About the only requirements is that it's Win7x64 compatible, either 3.5mm jack or USB2 and works with Skype and other general VOIP software. The local market has a few gamer orientated headsets, but these are all targeted at adult size heads and not younger children, so was looking more at VOIP orientated headsets which tend to come in a larger range of sizes or adjustments.

I've always liked Plantronics headsets, but there are very mixed reviews on current models (especially USB ones), with some current models even lacking Win7 x64 or Win8 support! That really leaves Microsoft, Logitech and Sennheiser, eg: Sennheiser PC330 USB Headset, Sennheiser SC260 Headset, or Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000. Max budget is AU$200 if it's really worth it, especially since this is for language classes where mic/headphone quality can be important for all the correct tones, inflictions, etc. But really targeting the AU$150 price range. Prefer corded over wireless as well...

So any suggestions?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The Microsoft LifeChat is an inexpensive device geared toward VOIP rather than gaming performance. There are a few of them floating around my office. I was using a Logitech H600 for recording stuff to put on Youtube, but I switched to my Jaybird Bluetooth set since I got it and passed the Logitechs on to a friend.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Newer laptops have a single combo jack for both mic & headphone. If yours has one such, make sure to get a compatible headset.