Opinions wanted: Keep or return?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I just received a "gift" from the catholic church attached to a private grade school on the same street I live on (aprox. 2 blocks away). As far as I know they gave the same gift to everyone in the apt. complex I live in. They just knocked on my door and handed me a box. I do not attend their church, nor am I even a christian. Accepting a Christmas gift is is fine and none of this bothers me it is just back story.

My issue is that I feel that it is far too much. By my calculation it is roughly $150 worth of stuff (Gift certificates and the like). These are total strangers to me and I am not in need. So should I return it; Give it to someone that is in need; Keep it; or something else?

Just curious, What would you do?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's probably more of a hassle to find a responsible party to return it, and it has already been given to you. I'd say you're in the clear for passing that stuff on to someone who needs it more than you do.

ddrueding

Fixture
Seconded. Their cost is probably pennies as the goods (particularly gift certificates) was donated. Even the vendors are happy with the arrangement; they get a deduction of the full amount while likely 50% of the certificates will go unused and another 30%+ will generate additional revenue.

If my analysis is correct, finding someone who would appreciate it is likely the best option.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
... likely 50% of the certificates will go unused and another 30%+ will generate additional revenue.

Only 50%? There will be some certificates that are well-subscribed but others that no-one wants at all. Because these are gifts, overall I can't see much more than 20% utilized (this is an anecdotally-influenced guess). And frankly I think 30% additional revenue is wildly optimistic - if you achieved 5-10% I think you would be over the moon.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree with much that has been shared. If you're not in need, donate it to a local shelter or someone else you may know. You'll likely make someone very happy with very minimal effort.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Give it to someone that is in need...
That is what I would do. I did this more than a decade ago when I was at ease financially. I received something nice (from work), but decided to give it to some homeless guy in the Montréal's metro.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I gave the gift certificates to someone else that is homeless. I kept the coffee cup filled with candy (which seems to me more appropriate for the situation).

This was not my immediate reaction which was to return it. Giving it away does not tell the people giving the gift my reservations in accepting it so they can not correct future behavior. It also feels hypocritical in approaching them without returning the gift. Can't have it all, I guess.

Last edited: