No thanks Google Fiber, we're good.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
haha, I have the lowest level cable Internet offered. Not anytime soon.

FWIW, this started out as a way for the electric utility to communicate with it's residential meters.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I'm not sure how they plan to offer 1Gbps to multiple premises when the fastest Internet connection speeds most Tier1 providers offer is an OC48 (2.5Gbps) or GigE. Recently 10GigE has become an option, but I don't know how widely deployed it is.

I also don't see why they'd have a problem pricing it, when they can simply look at their own costs for the upstream bandwidth and price accordingly. Admittedly, Tier1 bandwidth providers networks are often not oversubscribed. Residential ISP networks often reach 50:1 or worse over-subscription rates. You do have to pay a premium to get guaranteed bandwidth with an SLA.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have little use for such fiber speeds. I don't play video games online or download illegal movies. Will SF load any faster? :lol:

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I'm not sure how they plan to offer 1Gbps to multiple premises when the fastest Internet connection speeds most Tier1 providers offer is an OC48 (2.5Gbps) or GigE. Recently 10GigE has become an option, but I don't know how widely deployed it is.
So Optera Metro is the current standard and Pegasus is only arriving? Shit, I worked on Pegasus' development line TEN YEARS ago (nine and half, to be precise). Broadband hasn't moved on that fast if it took ten years to finally see OC192 penetrate the market.