No sound on ADI SoundMAX AC'97

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Drivers are installed correctly. No jumpers are set that would prevent it from working. Nothing is shorted out, to the best of my knowledge. It just quit working out of the blue one day. Stuff's plugged into the right port. Volume levels are fine. It's set as the default playback device. Yet, when it plays a sound, I hear nothing.

I would really like to get this working so I can set up the front panel audio on this. The Audigy needs a breakout box that I don't want to buy to do that.

Can sound controllers really just fail out of the blue like that without any warning without taking anything else with them?

Last edited:

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
This one in particular dates from at earliest mid-2003.

It's no big deal, my USB sound card works well enough. It's based on a C-Media chipset. I have to wonder if it's impacting my USB performance in any significant way. If not, it stays. I don't feel like buying a breakout box for the Audigy that might not work. Maybe I could, however, MacGyver together a front panel audio connector from spare headers I have around and just connect the appropriate pins to the appropriate pins. That should work, but it'd take a lot of work and a fair few USB headers that I snipped off for making front panel connectors with.

For the record, the chipset's Wavetable synth still works. Even passes the sound along to the default sound playback device.

EDIT: No, it won't work. To get front panel audio on the Audigy I'll have to buy the breakout box. Might see if I can find any other PCI sound cards in my collection, perhaps with a front panel audio connection.

Last edited: