[NEWS] - Opteron 248 vs. Xeon 3.2A

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Gamepc has a comparison of the two processors mentioned.
While both processors have their advantages, most people simply want to know which chips perform better. Thus, we put together test systems based on AMD's brand new Opteron 248 processors to compete against Intel's also-very-new Xeon 3.2 GHz processors with 1MB of L3 cache. These are the fastest dual processor CPU's from both AMD and Intel, and each are being sold for over a thousand dollars per processor. These chips are the top of the line, cream of the crop, and the best of the best that these companies have to offer.
Aaaahhh, some SMP lovin'....

News source

Submitted by The_JoJo

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Yes, I read that comparison, and there certainly are some differences between those two chips, some good, some bad. The comments at the end of the article are pretty good, especially in addressing how the current generation Xeon has ramped, and the limited life it has left.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
ddrueding said:
Yep, considering the performance is close, the added benefits of the Opteron make it a clear winner IMHO.

What if your customer needed a 3D-rending workstation that primarily used such tools as Photoshop and 3D Studio Max?

ddrueding

Fixture
Buck said:
What if your customer needed a 3D-rending workstation that primarily used such tools as Photoshop and 3D Studio Max?

That depends on whether they ever intended to upgrade their system. While the Opteron might add another 50% to it's speed though it's lifetime, I doubt Xoens will get much past 3.4GHz.