Mouse 4 notebook

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Hi peeps, I need a recommendation for a mouse (or other pointing device) to use with a laptop. I've been using the notebook a lot lately browsing or reading e-books in bed (using a book as a tray to keep the vents clear).

Let me just state that trackpads are a medieval torture device. I cannot configure any of them to respond the same way a mouse does. Move a mouse a cm or two, and I can scroll across (mostly) a 1366 screen. To do the same on any trackpad I've used requires three or four finger swipes. And don't get me started on the thrice damned edge region for vertical scrolling. :hurl:

I used a wired laser mouse the other night and it worked fine on the sheets :) so rather than out up with sticking needles in my fingertips, I mean using trackpads, can anybody recommend a pointing device for mobile use?

I would prefer it if there wasn't a large USB/bluetooth dongle that stuck out the side/back/front as well.

Yours in adversity

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You didn't say how much you wanted to spend, or what size and weight you preferred.

Here's a selection from the Logitech range - there are more expensive options.

The 5xx series add extra buttons. My advice is to avoid the slightly cheaper 305/505 models - they're a little too small. The 310/510 suits most people, but some people like extra long mice. Personally, I'd favor the 515 because of the Hyper-Fast Scroll wheel - I wish they all had that feature.

If you want a cheapie option, I picked up a Cherry Azuro for $17 (I think Harris Technology has them for that), but it doesn't have the teeny dongle of the Logitechs I linked.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Just in case I misunderstood, if you want a corded mouse, I don't believe you can go past a SteelSeries Kinzu for $30 or so. Excellent quality and feel.

I'm a lot less enthusiastic about cheaper Logitechs.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Thanks Time. Wireless is fine, and probably desirable. As for size and weight, I prefer lighter mouses, but larger. The first optical Intellimouse was perhaps the most comfortable I've ever used. I've been using a Logitech MK320 and it's OK, but a mouse similar to the wired M90 is too short to be comfortable. I've also used some Acer OEM that are similar in size and shape to the M90 that are not that great.

I'd probably trade some comfort for compactness in a mobile mouse for portability; anything has to be better than a trackpad.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I will as usual put in a vote for a Logitech Trackman Marble+. The only thing I ever move is my thumb.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Just a point of clarification: the Logitech MK320 desktop set comes with the little M305 mouse (AFAIK), whereas the MK520 desktop includes the larger (and IMO far superior) M310 mouse. Still not a big mouse, but not teeny either.

Small downside is the M305 takes a single AAA battery but the M310 uses a single AA, so slightly heavier, but nowhere near as bad as their stupid 'Marathon' mouse with 2x AA.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Ah..., the mouse I have takes 2 x AA. Keyboard looks the same though. Had it a couple of years

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I will as usual put in a vote for a Logitech Trackman Marble+. The only thing I ever move is my thumb.

Ermm... How do you use it? Fingers on the trackball and thumb for button? How long did it take you to get used to it? Is it as accurate as a mouse?

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Ermm... How do you use it? Fingers on the trackball and thumb for button? How long did it take you to get used to it? Is it as accurate as a mouse?

Thumb on the trackball and fingers on the buttons.
I have one and it took me no time at all to get used to it. Far superior to a touchpad or using a mouse on your sheets IMO.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Ah..., the mouse I have takes 2 x AA. Keyboard looks the same though. Had it a couple of years

Sorry, I'm mistaken, the M305 takes a single AA as well.

If you've had yours a couple of years, I'd suspect the desktop set might be the MK300 rather than the MK320. The mouse included with that took 2x AA.

Mercutio

Thumb goes on trackball. Fingers go on buttons. I can use any input device put in front of me. I've been using trackballs for 15 years or so. I dimly recall a four hour period where I struggled a little bit to get used to my first one.

Sol

Storage is cool
Another vote for the trackman, although mine is a Trackman Wheel, which is what it sounds like you guys are using too. The Trackman Marble does seem to have the button under the thumb and the ball under the index finger, which I can't imagine feeling as natural.

Mercutio

Another vote for the trackman, although mine is a Trackman Wheel, which is what it sounds like you guys are using too. The Trackman Marble does seem to have the button under the thumb and the ball under the index finger, which I can't imagine feeling as natural.

OK, yeah, technically the one I really like is the Trackman Marble Wheel.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Tried a Logitech trackball - a guy at work uses one, and it has a similar issue as the trackpads - I can't get from edge to edge on the screen without taking my finger of the ball and repeating the scroll movement.

On the other hand, I picked up the A4 Tech G7-600NX-1 V-Track Padless Wireless Mouse suggested by Time, and it's everything he said it was. It's portable, with the smallest receiver I've yet seen, and it scrolls on surfaces that have confused every other mouse I've used, even a crumpled doona/duvet. I suppose the only thing against A4 is the longevity, but for $25, who cares? Thanks Time.

Mercutio

Tried a Logitech trackball - a guy at work uses one, and it has a similar issue as the trackpads - I can't get from edge to edge on the screen without taking my finger of the ball and repeating the scroll movement.

Trackballs work best with the pointer speed setting turned all the way up. I can give the ball a spin and go from corner to corner on a screen pretty easily.