Major rebate Processor Goes Bankrupt

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
A major rebate processor has gone bankrupt. If you think that you may be affected, you may wish to click the link supplied for further instructions.

The instructions specificy how to determine if your rebate is at risk [P.O. Box 52900 (or P.O. Box 52911), Phoenix, AZ 85072-2900] and potentially who to contact further (Typically your retailer). Another important point to make is that if you have a relevent uncashed check - Do not try to cash it because it will bounce causing a bounced check fee.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a rebate which was about to have the check cut when they went foo foo. Now it's in limbo. May have to do a charge back on my credit card to make sure I get the money.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm sure many people have gotten good deals with MIRs, but I've never bothered, and simply calculate the cost without factoring it in. If they want to sell it to me for less, they can sell it for less.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
As a business, I rarely use the MIR's (It's not worth the time). Personally, I use them all the time. For example my last two video cards were bought with rebates, bringing two $100 cards down to $40 each. I also use them to buy disposable inkjets (I throw them away when I need new cartridges) because I can consistantly get them between $-50. and $20. which is considerably cheaper than buying cartridges (even if the the new cartridges are only partially filled).

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
As a business, I rarely use the MIR's (It's not worth the time). Personally, I use them all the time. For example my last two video cards were bought with rebates, bringing two $100 cards down to $40 each. I also use them to buy disposable inkjets (I throw them away when I need new cartridges) because I can consistantly get them between $-50. and $20. which is considerably cheaper than buying cartridges (even if the the new cartridges are only partially filled).
I do the disposable inkjet routine as well. Hell, I even do that with Dell color laser printers; 51xxCN series - Buy refurb., replace black toner as needed, when color gets low start monitoring Dell outlet for replacement. Last unit used for spot color & 1"x1" photos lasted 3 years.

ddrueding

Fixture
I know it makes fiscal sense, but I can't bring myself to do it. Too eco-unfriendly. I don't even recycle my cans, but something about tossing a printer when it is designed to be reusable is just too much.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I know it makes fiscal sense, but I can't bring myself to do it. Too eco-unfriendly. I don't even recycle my cans, but something about tossing a printer when it is designed to be reusable is just too much.
Yup. Somebody, somewhere, sometime, will pay the eco cost for the throw aways.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It's not my fault that Epson, HP, and Canon have chosen to use an ass-backward business model that encourages disposable HW over quality, and cost effectiveness.

If we last, I really expect that future mining operations will be in todays landfills.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I generally distrust MIR's too, total ripoff method that prays on lazy or stupid customers. Years ago when I worked in BBY you would be sick to see how many items came back for repair with all the paperwork, including sometimes multiple hundreds of dollars in rebates past their expiration. Actually Newegg just screwed me recently on a memory key, it was out of the date range but listed as a MIR piece on Neweggs site at the time of purchase was an email promotion actually. I just say fine you fooled me out of my $9 but I'm not trusting your MIR's ever again. A couple years ago I almost got screwed out of $50 MIR on a SLR lens because they say there was no bar code, so I called bitched and said they couldn't possibly have missed it as it was stapled to the form with my info that they used to send a denial letter, won the argument luckily. Mini rant off but man rebates are a source of irritation for me, avoid unless it doesn't matter folks.

I'm actually curious to see whats going on with this story here, someone scammed the scammers and ran off with the money looks to me. Does anyone know of followups to this?

Oh and on the printer thing, many years ago I bought a used HP Color Laserjet 5 manufactured in 1998 for about $100. I think I'm into about $50 for toner and a drum along the way. I can't recommend it enough but a used business class laser with a little know how and a service manual can go a long way for personal use.