Looking for a uATX case

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
A friend has posed an interesting question. They have downsized their accommodation and want to use a laptop and 1 PC. They think that a standard ATX case is too large. They like to PC form factor for some limited upgrade capability. They like the Mac mini.

Is their a "standard" case out their that is (much) smaller than the ATX mid-tower, takes a uATX mobo (doesn't have to take a full ATX), and uses standard components (important). It would probably only need one 5.25" drive bay (though two might be a bonus) and one or two 3.5" bays.

Recommendations?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
In Canberra, you'd probably get way with it. It is possible to live with such a PC, but only if everything co-operates in terms of heat and space.

Having said that, I've personally had enough of them. I'm perfectly happy to use a standard micro-ATX case if the cooling and PS is up to snuff, but life's too short to mess with a slimline, even the 100mm wide ones that take standard cards. You're talking a 60mm PS fan vs a 120mm, for starters. A non-standard, noisy, under-powered, hard-to-replace, unreliable PS vs a standard one. A vertically-mounted DVD drive. Hotter than usual hard drive and CPU, and it's really inadvisable to use an external graphics card. The case fan(s) are a noisy joke.

Experiment yourself, but I'd advise you to reconsider inflicting this on someone else.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Thanks for the advice Time. I do prefer something that is standard myself. It's not my idea to go small, it's my friends. I have warned him. That's why I asked here, I have no idea of whats out there, and the traps they entail.

You mentioned standard uATX cases. Do you have some brands that you think are worthwhile?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Antec NSK3300. They're lovely and silent.

AOpen makes a clone of a Mac Mini. That is pretty damned small even if it's not a standard design.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd go with an NSK3300 as well, if you can get them to OK the size. It's essentially the smallest normal tower I've ever seen. Below that are too many compromises to be comfortable with.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
NSK3300: Does it take a standard power supply?
How easy is it to change the power supply?

Thanks,
Bozo :joker:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I was sure the NSK3300 uses an SFX power supply. If it ever breaks, Seasonic makes an excellent 300W PSU in that form factor too. It is easy to service (SFX power supplies are normally retained by only two screws).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It IS an SFX power supply :

NSK3300_b.jpg

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
That case does look good, and more along the lines of what I was thinking.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
SFX form factor is a PITA. For starters, there are at least three different physical sizes. Secondly, efficiency is below equivalent ATX power supplies (AFAIR). Thirdly, 300W versions are rare - most are around 200W or so.

I have absolutely no idea what posessed Antec to use an SFX PS in the 3300 case: they were cheap because no-one wanted them? Outside the US, Antec has been selling the 3400, which uses a standard 380W ATX power supply. Perhaps that's the version that Merc has used?

The separate chamber makes no sense in the 3300, unless you're assuming that the airflow through the PS is too low to cool anything other than itself, and you're going to fit a far stronger fan to cool everything else. That's a shitty design.

There's a shitty review to match on SPCR. It's the worst review I've read in ages (but then, I try to avoid reading them) and has really made me question their value as a review site. I was going to post a full critique, but shook myself out of it (got a life).

Anyway, the 3400 should be acceptable if the price is right. Alternatively, there's equivalent solutions from lots of manufacturers, including the ECE3275 from Ever Case (includes near-silent 300W PS with 12cm fan from FSP), the TJ08 from Silverstone, Coolermaster, HEC, etc.

I wouldn't recommend a high-powered graphics setup in a mATX case unless it's truly well designed like the TJ08 (pity the front ports are so low).

Oh yeah, here's a tip. Modern ATX power supplies are explicitly designed to extract hot air directly above the CPU and graphics card. This isn't going to work so well if you leave the rear case fan unblocked, so seal it off if you're not using it.

Secondly, don't use the rear fan unless you're going to push a decent amount of air through the front as well.

Thirdly, don't push a decent amount of air through the front unless you have a bad-ass graphics setup - a trickle to create some air movement in the vicinity of the hard drive and hopefully the graphics/motherboard chipsets is enough. For most systems, don't use a front fan at all - the CPU ducting present on most cases flows more than enough already.

You have to avoid wildly mismatched flows or you'll start to go backwards (and even shorten the life of components such as the power supply). View all the vents and fans as a system rather than discrete components. Remember that air only moves near a region of high or low pressure, and that blowing is not the same as sucking when it comes to localization of that pressure differential.

Oh yeah, and airflow doesn't go around corners.

Anyway, that's the results of more than a decade of experiments attempting to manage heat and noise in PCs. Hope it helps someone.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been wondering what it would take to mod a 3300 into taking an ATX PS. It looks like the compartment is wide and tall enough provided the airflow is purely front-to-back, like the Antec NeoHE series.