IT guys, my experience, vs. working with the people in this forum

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I've been working in Public schools since 1999. In that time I have worked closely with the tech guys, IT, pretty much all the time. My requests seem to be a bit different then the normal teacher.

They fall into a few categories:
Excellent-VERY good, with no budget, and reporting to people that have no clue about what they are doing.
Total frigging idiots that have very little clue of what they are doing, and try to hide it with bluster or intimidation.
None of them really had much SCSI experience, since the schools couldn't afford the stuff.

On top of that, I had Peter Bennett in my house. This guy scams that he is an IT guy, and manages to fool a top AIDES research company into thinking he can write a program that syncs data on laptops from Africa, when
he doesn't even know what an i7 is. He then manages to fool PG and E into giving him a job writing software that is supposed to sync their data on pipeline information. His trick: for each pipeline he writes a program that links
the coordinates of the pipeline to google map, and gives a sat picture of where the location is. This somehow gets them to pay him two grand a week for being a liar and a moron.

I stated all this to differentiate my IT experience vs. what happens here, where we have a great group of people that know their stuff.

One of the things I love about this place is the top guys are not afraid to ask for help when they don't know something.
Tech is a situation where a certain person may have special knowledge in a particular area, vs. someone having general knowledge, but no actual experience. Some of my requests, information on SAS in particular was in the special knowledge
actual experience category. I ask questions on certain topics because I want to know the ins and outs of actually working with it, not the general information on it.
SCSI bios for instance can be a particular pain in the ass. Therefore I would like to know if a certain SAS bios is easy to work with, very hard, etc.

My most important point here is to say thank you for your input. My second is also to understand that sometimes first hand experience is valued over book research, though both are valuable.

My final point is to say thank you for your input. My responses sometimes may not appear that I value the information that you post, but I do.

GS

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I suppose that the only thing that should be said is that you're welcome to whatever help that we can offer.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"My final point is to say thank you for your input. My responses sometimes may not appear that I value the information that you post, but I do."

I guess that's not clear enough for S.

You're welcome for whatever help you have, and can offer.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It was fine. I've just think that "You're welcome" is the proper response to being sincerely thanked.
This thread has been read nearly 50 times now and no one else said it.