I want it!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
PDP-8/M

The first computer that I ever worked with (In high school) was a PDP-8L with 8K RAM on a teletype with paper tape reader and this is close enough. I have fond memories of being a fanatic about it, spending virtually all my unoccupied time in the computer lab. Before people called others nerds I was classified as a "Computer Freak".

This is the first time, in years that I've seen one up for sale that claims it runs.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It is not a Fortran compiler: it is a running DEC PDP-8/m computer (Circa 1974). I don't believe that FORTRAN even existed for it. Were did you get FORTRAN out of it, in that it isn't even mentioned in the add?

Handruin

Administrator
That's really neat. If you get it, take pics and post them. :)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
If you have the means I say do it, the memories and nostalgia would be really gratifying. I have spent many thousands on baubles to make myself happy and I only every really gave a considering eye to the financial knowing I could get out of it for roughly the same amount which sounds like it is the case here too being rather rare.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My college had a PDP-11 but I never really used it. I was on the VAX 780 (IIRC) before they shifted compiler work for most languages to PCs (mid 80s). My first professional job was on IBM Series/1 minis running a Unix variant called CPIX. That company was transitioning to MicroVAX machines. My next employer ran Geac 8000 minicomputers (quad CPUs with one each dedicated to programs, comm, disk I/O, and tape I/O). Programmed in ZOPL, an 8MHz clock was good to support over 200 concurrent library users. After that was when I got started on AS/400s.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't believe that FORTRAN even existed for it. Were did you get FORTRAN out of it, in that it isn't even mentioned in the add?
From Wikipedia :
Early PDP-8 systems did not have an operating system, just a front panel and run and halt switches. Software development systems for the PDP-8 series began with the most basic front panel entry of raw binary machine code (booting entry).
In the middle era, various paper tape "operating systems" were developed. Many utility programs became available on paper tape. PAL-8 assembly language source code was often stored on paper tape, read into memory, and saved to paper tape. PAL assembled from paper tape into memory. Paper tape versions of a number of programming languages were available, including DEC's FOCAL interpreter and a 4K FORTRAN compiler and runtime.
I figure yours is of the first kind, so it doesn't have an operating system. My bad. I still don't see the value, but that's your memories, not mine. Or maybe you're a lot richer than I expected.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
No other parts remain but I do still have an IBM XT motherboard with socketed CPU & RAM in my basement. It's right next to my copy of Microsoft OS/2.