I need a mouse

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Not the furry kind, the computing kind.

What I have been using, a Microsoft USB optical wheel mouse. I need to change this because the skates on the bottom have worn out need cleaning every day or it won't track properly. Also, it is a bit small—I have narrow/long palm/fingers.

Don't like wireless mices as they tend to chew batteries, and are hence heavy. Don't want 7 custom configurable buttons. Its a mouse O.K. ;) Besides which, I don't want to have to relearn my mouse clicks when I use the computer in the garage, the laptop or the work PC. Don't want to pay the equivalent of a 500+ GB HDD for a mouse either...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm rather fond of the Logitech Trackman Optical myself. Actually Logitech generally seems like a winner; my labs with basic, $6 Logitech opticals haven't needed any replaced over the last four years.

SYROB

What is this storage?
Not the furry kind, the computing kind.

What I have been using, a Microsoft USB optical wheel mouse. I need to change this because the skates on the bottom have worn out need cleaning every day or it won't track properly. Also, it is a bit small—I have narrow/long palm/fingers.

Don't like wireless mices as they tend to chew batteries, and are hence heavy. Don't want 7 custom configurable buttons. Its a mouse O.K. ;) Besides which, I don't want to have to relearn my mouse clicks when I use the computer in the garage, the laptop or the work PC. Don't want to pay the equivalent of a 500+ GB HDD for a mouse either...

I like the Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 by MS

Borys

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Sounds like you wouldn't care for my preferred rodent, then. The Logitech MX Revolution is wireless but not really heavy. It does have extra functionality that you say you wouldn't care for, like a side scroll wheel which I use for scrolling between tabs in Firefox (click it for new tab), Forward/Back buttons, etc. It's a laser mouse so it goes for weeks on a charge but it also uses internal rechargeables so you don't have to worry about buying batteries. It lists for $100 but can be easily found for around $50 after rebate.

I use the VX Revolution with my notebook; it does use an AA battery but it lasts 3-4 months so it still doesn't consume that much juice.

Since you want a more basic feature set, maybe the MX 400 would be closer to your ideal.

I've been using Logitech mice since 1985 and won't consider any other brand.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I used MS Intellimice for years. A year or so ago I switched to a Logitech G5 and it's pretty nice. I really like its ability to change resolution on the fly so if you have to do something accurate you can crank the speed way down quick and get back to normal at the touch of a button.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm really liking my Razer Copperhead. Not a cheap mouse, but not too many bells and whistles, either. It just does the things a mouse is supposed to do really, really well. 1000Hz and 2000dpi just makes everything more smooth.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
How odd, I posted here yesterday about midday and now the post has disappeared. Anyway, thanks all, I'll check out some of the options, and thanks Fushigi for the info on batteries and Logitech

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I'm still using my MS Intellimouse Explorer 1.0A. I have no idea how old this thing is, but I suppose it could be from 1998. It will need replacing soon I imagine, so I've also been looking for my next mouse. My wife recently got a Logitech MX 400 and she's happy with it. It seems to light for me actually, as with my meaty palm I put a lot of pressure on the backside and the front end sometimes pops a wheelie, so to speak. </dirty language>

ddrueding

Fixture
David:
Have you tried the other recent Razor offerings???

G

The Razer Copperhead that I use now is less than a year old and is still part of their product line. The Habu is the same for all the stuff that matters and the BoomSlang is actually worse. It's not cheap, but I stopped skimping on the interface a long time ago. Even if what I'm doing isn't computationally intensive (ie 90% of the time) a good monitor, keyboard and mouse will always be appreciated.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I really like the Logitech MX510. Wired, optical, not too pricey and has a nice feel. Mine is dark blue rather than red. The two thumb buttons are really convenient because they can act as back-forward in Firefox/IE/Windows Explorer (I'm sure most other mice do that too though).
931179-0215-BULK-R-2.jpg

Piyono

Storage is cool
I like my IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A so much I hunted down replacement micro switches when the left right buttons started to misfire. Believe me when I say they weren't easy to find. Soldering them in, however, was quite simple.

OK, the truth is I don't *love* this mouse; it's more a complacency thing, but I have yet to find a mouse that really roars for me, if you'll pardon the reference. I've never found a mouse that fit my hand the way I think a mouse should so I always feel like I'm compromising comfort and ergonomics.

I've long been considering fashioning myself a form-fitting mouse out of some malleable or carve-able material and bringing it to life by harnessing it with the innards (and possibly the feet) of a sacrificial rodent. How sweet would it be if I carved a mouse out of walnut or rosewood or maple; nice stain, light varnish? Let's be honest for a moment - who *wouldn't* want a wooden mouse?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I use my mouse left and right handed, so asymmetrical mices (like most of the fancy Logitechs) are out. I bought a corded optical Logitech and it tracks nicely, but is a bit small. My wife and kids like it though. Funnily enough, I changed mouse pads and the Microsoft Wheel mouse optical (which started this thread) works much better.

Oh yeah, I haven't found a mouse that does it for me either, so far.

ddrueding

Fixture
My only complaint about my current mouse is that it could be about 10% larger. Although wood would be a nice look and feel, it would be too heavy for me. The less inertia the better.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I use my mouse left and right handed, so asymmetrical mices (like most of the fancy Logitechs) are out. I bought a corded optical Logitech and it tracks nicely, but is a bit small. My wife and kids like it though. Funnily enough, I changed mouse pads and the Microsoft Wheel mouse optical (which started this thread) works much better.

Oh yeah, I haven't found a mouse that does it for me either, so far.

I'm the same way, so I have to have a symmetrical mouse as well. I've been using the Microsoft Standard Wireless Optical for the last few years. I have been through 2 or 3 of them, because the build quality is terrible.

Mercutio

The smegma-eating unclefucking dildobreaths at Logitech have stopped manufacturing the most perfect pointing device in the history of the universe, the Trackman Wheel. I can buy the shitty RF wireless version for only about twice as much or I can find another decent trackball. Needless to say, I am pronouncing fatwah and my zealous followers will one day use their wretched pelts to gird their loins and other such parts as require girding. In the meantime, I need new trackballs and all the ones that I can see are suck.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The smegma-eating unclefucking dildobreaths at Logitech have stopped manufacturing the most perfect pointing device in the history of the universe, the Trackman Wheel. I can buy the shitty RF wireless version for only about twice as much or I can find another decent trackball. Needless to say, I am pronouncing fatwah and my zealous followers will one day use their wretched pelts to gird their loins and other such parts as require girding. In the meantime, I need new trackballs and all the ones that I can see are suck.

Can't you find some leftover stock somewhere on the interwebs? I had to use one of the Logotech ball-mouse things many years ago and it practically ruined my thumb. The ergonomics were just awful for me, but I guess somebody liked them enough.

Mercutio

I had a closet full of them, but I've deployed them all. I should probably buy five or ten more but I don't want to pay $80 apiece for them and I've not has good experiences with the wireless version. I spend ~15 hours a day on computers and these things are the best and most comfortable pointer I've found. It doesn't look like anyone else is making a thumb-ball right now though.