Home Theater Receiver with per-input programmable volume adjustment?

ddrueding

Fixture
Putting together a simple system for a client. The two inputs are AppleTV and Comcast. Comcast is 20dB louder than the AppleTV. I need a receiver that I can program this into, such that the two sources sound to be the same level when switching between them. I'd like the receiver to be <$500, but this is worth several thousand to the customer.

Thanks!

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for the quick response. There are no buttons on the unit, and the volume rocker on the remote just brings up a dialog that wants to set up to control the TV volume.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
I'd do a google search for the exact box/remote combo. IIRC, sometimes you need to enter a special code to unlock volume adjustment. It's been forever since I dealt with Comcast though...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'd do a google search for the exact box/remote combo. IIRC, sometimes you need to enter a special code to unlock volume adjustment. It's been forever since I dealt with Comcast though...

Mine have an option in the on-screen menu.

Handruin

Administrator
I saw in some searching that others have reported their Apple TV having lower volume than other input devices. One interesting data point is that the change in volume was not consistent with the app being used under Apple TV. Did you happen to notice if it was one or more apps that all have lower volume than the Comcast set-top box? My point being that even if we find you a receiver that offers a per-input volume adjustment, your customer may still experience oddities when switching apps within the Apple TV device.

Otherwise there are some Denon receivers that offer this feature in their menus. Some may only do -12/+12dB source gain that may not be enough for what you're trying to achieve. Just as an example of a Denon AVR-S730H which offers this feature in the price range ($479) you requested (*MSRP, may be cheaper at other merchants). For example, on page 157 of the user manual for the Denon AVR-S730H there is an option listed for adjusting the input source level with a -12 / +12 dB source gain.

I've not tried this receiver or even done much research on if it's any good. You may be able to find better receivers for the money so I'm just listing it as an example. I don't even know if it covers the feature sets, power, and input requirements you need.

Stereodude

Not really a
How are they connected? HDMI? Bitstreamed digital audio over HDMI should be a pretty consistent volume.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for all the information. Handruin, really appreciate the research. The feedback I received from the customer is that the AppleTV volume is consistently lower by quite a ways. This may be purely based on the apps that they use, but this means it is good enough.

Stereodude, it is in fact all HDMI. If there were an analog piece I know I could get tools to modify it before the receiver.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Is it possible to use an app on the Apple TV to access the Comcast content? I know it can be done for Spectrum/Time Warner.

Stereodude

Not really a
Otherwise there are some Denon receivers that offer this feature in their menus. Some may only do -12/+12dB source gain that may not be enough for what you're trying to achieve.
Unless he needs more than 24dB of adjustment it should be fine. He can always dial back the other sources in addition to dialing up the AppleTV.

Stereodude, it is in fact all HDMI. If there were an analog piece I know I could get tools to modify it before the receiver.
Then the audio must not be bitstreamed. Which content is quiet? AC3/E-AC3/DTS/etc. can't be played back quietly if they're being bitstreamed as the source can't make any volume adjustments. Does the AppleTV decode everything to LPCM audio? If not making a big volume adjustment will fix the quiet PCM content, but scare the crap out of the person when they get bitstreamed audio.

ddrueding

Fixture
Then the audio must not be bitstreamed. Which content is quiet? AC3/E-AC3/DTS/etc. can't be played back quietly if they're being bitstreamed as the source can't make any volume adjustments. Does the AppleTV decode everything to LPCM audio? If not making a big volume adjustment will fix the quiet PCM content, but scare the crap out of the person when they get bitstreamed audio.

That is interesting. I'll see if I can change the audio output of both to a bitstreamed format. That seems like it would do the job.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Onkyo receivers offer a feature called IntelliVolume which, similar to Denon, offers a +/- 12dB correction per input.

IntelliVolume
With IntelliVolume, you can set the input level for each
input selector individually. This is useful if one of your
source components is louder or quieter than the others.
Use the Left and Right buttons to set the level.
If a component is noticeably louder than the others, use
the Left button to reduce its input level. If it’s noticeably
quieter, use the Right button to increase its
input level. The input level can be adjusted from −12 dB
to +12 dB in 1 dB steps.