HD capacity to double by 2016

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
If the unrecoverable error rates are not improved, every disk will have some bad data. :(

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Higher STR will only make Santilli happy when he'll run benchmarks to entertain himself. Otherwise, it will have very little impact on the perceived speed of the drive from a user experience.

LunarMist

Higher STR will only make Santilli happy when he'll run benchmarks to entertain himself.

:rofl:

Of course compared to the total capacity the STR will be even slower than on current drives. It will take practically forever to completely write or test a drive.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Higher STR will only make Santilli happy when he'll run benchmarks to entertain himself. Otherwise, it will have very little impact on the perceived speed of the drive from a user experience.

I move large files between disks quite a bit, so higher STR would help me. I'll also need to upgrade to a 10gbps network.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The math in that article doesn't make any sense. If the highest density is around 625gb/inch^2 right now and it's expected to increase to 1800 that is a 2.88x increase. If you can get 5TB with 5 platters and 625 you should be able to get 14.4TB with 1800. Where they get 60TB from is beyond me.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I move large files between disks quite a bit, so higher STR would help me. I'll also need to upgrade to a 10gbps network.

NICs aren't that bad if you just want to run a crossover between two machines. I've seen 10GbE PCI-e cards go for $75 on ebay.

LunarMist

The math in that article doesn't make any sense. If the highest density is around 625gb/inch^2 right now and it's expected to increase to 1800 that is a 2.88x increase. If you can get 5TB with 5 platters and 625 you should be able to get 14.4TB with 1800. Where they get 60TB from is beyond me.

Several different numbers are being bandied about, including the theoretical. I doubt there will be 60TB drives in my lifetime. A few years ago SSDs were all the rage with claims they would be replacing hard drives even in the high capacities.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
See the bottom paragraphs:
HAMR technology is likely to lead the way in creating next-generation HDDs, even though satisfactory costs via HAMR comparable to those of PMR have yet to be seen. In theory, however, advanced technologies like HAMR could extend HDD areal density to a range spanning 5Tb/inch[SUP]2[/SUP] to 10Tb/inch[SUP]2[/SUP].
The highest capacity for 3.5" HDDs could then reach 30TB to 60TB

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
NICs aren't that bad if you just want to run a crossover between two machines. I've seen 10GbE PCI-e cards go for $75 on ebay.

That would be ideal, but my computers are close to 100ft apart and my wife doesn't like wires running down the hallway.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
How slow will these platters have to spin in order to get a reasonable error-free read rate?

I imagine that even pokey high-density drives will continue to have a place in data centers, where there is redundancy and back-up.

LunarMist

Somehow I expect the basic specs to remain the same. They have not changed much in a decade or more.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Somehow I expect the basic specs to remain the same. They have not changed much in a decade or more.
I expect that they will be twice as powerful, ten thousand times larger, and so expensive that only the five richest kings of Europe will own them.