Gadgets in Windows?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey guys,
A while ago I was using Google Desktop and their gadget platform, and found a few things slightly helpful (calendar, weather) and some things interesting (CPU meter, network monitor). I have a second monitor, and it was nice to put these things someplace out of the way yet easy to see. I used Google Desktop with their gadgets over Windows (7) gadget platform which always seemed so much less useful. It looks like Google has dropped their Google Desktop (Google Desktop - http://googledesktop.blogspot.com/2011/09/google-desktop-update.html). Does anybody else use a gadget platform? Does anybody use something that provides similar functionality?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've seen people do some pretty slick looking stuff with a Windows customization tool called Rainmeter, but to me all that stuff just looks like extra cruft.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Ah, yes, Rainmeter. Annoying to set up, I can't figure out how to load multiple Google calendars, but it only uses 19 MB of RAM. Not bad.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'd say half of the widgets that I've tried worked. Weatherbug, and about 5 others weren't working right.

Right now have a clock, Intel cpu meter for turboboost, google, amazon, and another memory and cpu reporter.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Why are you responding to a simple spammer? I think, that you believe that if you respond, they will simply go away.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Been using Rainmeter for a while now. I really like it. Once you get used to it, it's not bad to edit/configure. Light on system resources (14 MB to display current weather, future forecast, two radar maps, system utilization, Gmail app, and a Winamp controller).

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"Looking for gadgets?

The Windows Live Gallery has been retired. In order to focus support on the much richer set of opportunities available for the newest version of Windows, Microsoft is no longer supporting development or uploading of new Gadgets. However, some of the most popular and highest-rated gadgets are still available on the Gadgets page of the Windows Personalization Gallery. "

Microspeak?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Widget for earthquakes works, and it's kind of scary. Lots of Earthquakes, all the time. Luzon just had a 6.0. Anywhere with a volcano seems to rumble daily. California has minor quakes, all the time.