Fastest , most useless RMA ever, for me, OCZ

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I sent my drive out Wednesday last week. Met a UPS driver outside a store in Pleasant Hill at about 8 PM. He took, and scanned the package. It was delivered to OCZ's RMA location in Silicon Valley the NEXT day, that would be Thursday, by order confirmation.

This morning, Tuesday, two business days, I have a brand new OCZ Vertex Turbo on my desk, at 10 AM.

That is the fastest RMA ever for me.

This is the first OCZ I've ever had to return, out of three drives total. It was running in a Raid 0 with two other drives, and, after a few power issues, no longer functioned, or appeared on the Raid array, regardless of which port, or cable was used.

I setup a Raid 0 array with the remaining two drives, and, though there is a slightly slower reading in bench marks, it seems just as fast, if not faster, then the three drive array.

The initial RMA request was super easy, and, the second request for details, not much worse.

Now I just need a laptop to put it in...

Good job, OCZ.

The paper work to get the RMA took two emails. The first for a request, then they sent a request for specifics, mainly purchase date and retailer, and the
RMA was sent the next day. So, about 3.5 days from the time of request I had the RMA number.

ddrueding

Fixture
That is pretty quick. The only times I've gotten stuff faster was when we had a massive support contract and the replacement computer was but on a commercial airliner. Arrived from across the country 6 hours later ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I flatly don't believe you. I can't even get those fuckers to return an email in any given three day time frame.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
WTF are the OCZ drives made of that need to be RMAd so much, spit and Chinese newspapers? :)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I was lucky the whole way around UPS was closed, and the guy just happened to be at the back of the store, and was nice enough to take it.
I've NEVER had anything get to the destination in less then one day. It
was on the truck at 8PM, and arrived the next afternoon.

It might be that the only shipping box I had was 15x12x10 with eggs, and I then bubble wrapped the drive, along with putting their email in the box.

Don't know. It was for sure a freak.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I just checked the packing slip and box. OCZ got the drive the 18th, and shipped an RMA the next day, via FEDIPD, whatever that is.
It took Fedex till the 22nd to deliver.

So the drive arrived the 18th, replacement shipped the 19th, and Fedex took Monday, one business day, to get it to me this morning at 9-10 AM

Stereodude

Not really a
Wait until you find out they sent you back a drive with half as many NAND chips that are twice the density each and the performance of the drive sucks compared to the one you sent in. :tdown:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I opened the box and noticed the serial number is similar to the one I sent in, and, this ones serial number has been written over on both box and drive.

It appears the drive has been 'recertified', and is not new.
OCZRMA.jpg

The model number is the same as the one I sent in.

Guess I better plug it in and check it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The plastic around this SATA connector is so old or worn that it would not hold a Sata cable in place, and broke off.

I've created ANOTHER RMA, SENT IN THIS MORNING.
So, we'll see if Merc's right about the slow email reply.
I also asked them to pay for shipping.

GS

PS
The drive worked fine in the toaster. It formatted quickly. The toaster is not USB 3, even though the port is, and, the diskmark numbers are around 35 mb/sec, USB 2
limited.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
3 PM, no response. Going to work. Looks like the first day of waiting.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Moderator around? I think we should change the title;-)

No response so far today.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Today's message:
"Trouble Ticket ID: 176120
Description: OCZSSD2-1VTXT30G

-------------------------------------------------------

Please be advised that the status on your trouble ticket
has been changed from Submitted to Acknowledged.
"

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Second day email:
"Hi
EU147402.
Trouble Ticket ID: 174509

has been changed from Waiting on Customer to In Progress
with the following comment:
Comment: *** Please read the following information carefully. Follow all instructions to ensure your RMA is properly received and processed. ***
Old ticket number:
Trouble Ticket ID: 174509

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM, <ocztechnology@exdesk.com> wrote:
>
> Trouble Ticket ID: 176120
> Description: OCZSSD2-1VTXT30G
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
> Please be advised that the status on your trouble ticket
> has been changed from Acknowledged to Waiting on Customer
> with the following comment:
> Comment: I'm sorry for the continued issues. What was your previous RMA number?
> Status changed by: Eric Von Stwolinski
>
> Regards,
> ocztechnology@exdesk.com
> ---
>
> Please DO NOT REPLY to this email notification. Please click on the following link below to correspond:
>
>
>
> Thank you.
>
>
>"

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

ocztechnology@exdesk.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 Mailbox <ocztechnology@exdesk.com> does not exist (state 14).

----- Original message -----

MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by 10.220.178.65 with SMTP id bl1mr102206vcb.26.1301030362082; Thu,
24 Mar 2011 22:19:22 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.220.170.82 with HTTP; Thu, 24 Mar 2011 22:19:22 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 22:19:22 -0700
Message-ID: <AANLkTinovDxG9QL+uKirnH6QFxSXuc7GtX=S2BB0ygBv@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: EU147402
To: ocztechnology <ocztechnology@exdesk.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

- Show quoted text -

Turns out I can't just email the guy back. I have to go to their website, enter the number, and then send it through their system, or I think that's what it takes....

Last edited by a moderator:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
RMA today, no shipping label

Trouble Ticket ID: 176120

has been changed from Waiting on Customer to In Progress
with the following comment:
Comment: *** Please read the following e-mail carefully and follow all instructions. ***
Your RMA number is EU148808 . I have put in a request to have a prepaid shipping label emailed to you.
Please ship the faulty product to:

OCZ Technology
RMA Dept.
6373 San Ignacio Ave
San Jose, CA
USA
800-459-1816

*** Once you ship your defective product(s) to us, please feel free to check your RMA status at the link below. RMA status is updated when your product is checked in and again when the replacement product is ordered and shipped. ***
*** http://rma.ocztechnology.com/rmalookup.aspx ***
*** Please verify the accuracy of your RMA using this URL. If you notice any errors in your RMA please alert us and we will correct these errors for you.

The original OCZ product has to arrive at our warehouse within 30 days after the RMA number is issued.

If you are returning a memory kit, you must send in all memory modules in that kit. We cannot replace the memory kit until we have received all of the memory modules for that kit.
Be sure to package returned memory in antistatic material, with no tape or other sticky material applied to the memory.
If you are returning a PSU please keep the AC adapter. Return all other cables, but keep the AC adapter.

Write your RMA number on the exterior of the package using a black marker. Any packages received without an RMA number visible will be returned to sender.

Package the product you are returning well by using at least two inches of bubble wrap or foam. Do not directly attach or tape bubble wrap or foam to the product itself.

OCZ recommends shipping using a trackable courier, such as Federal Express or UPS. If you ship by USPS, it is highly recommended that you use certified mail. OCZ will not be responsible for lost RMA packages.

Do not lose your RMA number we will not be able to track your RMA status without it. Please include a copy of your receipt or invoice. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Please print this RMA information sheet and put it in your box so that we can process your RMA more quickly.

Your ticket will be closed automatically after 7 days from the last response. The reason we do this is to maintain our database in order to assist our customers in a timely, efficient manner. Your RMA will not be effected by the ticket being closed and will be processed as usual. Your RMA number is different than your ticket number and your RMA will remain active even if your ticket is closed. If you need assistance after your RMA number has been issued please feel free to contact us.

If you want a status update on your RMA after your RMA has been received you can contact the RMA department by phone and they will be happy to help you.

Status changed by: Eric Von Stwolinski

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
You expect them to be working on Sunday? I would throw away the drive and move on with life.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The RMA posted 4 days ago. STILL haven't got the shipping label emailed.

What's the cheapest way to ship a drive that size, with delivery confirmation?
Post office fixed rate box, 5 bucks?
Throw it in an envelope, and send it?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I called this morning, and, they emailed me the prepaid shipping label.
It's on the package, and, going out today.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
4-4 arrived at 9:03 am.
Formatted through the toaster. This drive appears unused, no crossed out serial number on the box, doesn't appear to be worn around the connectors at all.

SN is 0140411-3000067

PN OCZSSD2-1VTXT30G
OCZSSD2-1VTXT30G
However, the connectors aren't bright copper, but appear a bit corroded.

I was thinking of using this as a page file, and scratch file for photoshop.

Any other suggestions?

Handruin

Administrator
I was thinking of using this as a page file, and scratch file for photoshop.

Any other suggestions?

Photoshop makes sense if you work with huge files. Use it for a software build repository or you can use it for VMs or games, or encoding video. I wouldn't bother with the windows page file if you have plenty of RAM free, but if it makes you feel better, try it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Final testing use

Here is a test of the twin boot Turbos:
twinturbos452011copy.jpg

Here is the blank, replacement Turbo:
singleturboblank452011copy.jpg

The drives are running on a PCI-X AMCC 3 Ware 9550SX/9590SE SATA Raid Controller.

ReadyBoost for this drive?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
So far, running 8 gigs of ReadyBoost, and making that drive the scratch drive for Photoshop. For some reason, apps seem to open very quickly, Photoshop in particular.
Photoshop 7 in 9 seconds.
MSFT Word 2000, under 2 seconds.
Internet Explorer 32 bit 3 seconds.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Why are you fucking around with Readyboost on a machine that already has 12GB RAM?

Also: Why are you using Internet Explorer?