Even better audio from a laptop v. Audio-gd NFB-15.1 + Emotiva Pro Airmotiv 4

Stereodude

Not really a
Previously, I wanted better audio from my laptop at work for headphone since I was not happy with the headphone output from my Lenovo T410. There is a thread about it.

More recently I decided I wanted some speakers to put on my desk at work for music listening without headphones when staying late plus the ability to have decent volume and clarity for those times you've got a few people crowded around the PC checking something out instead of using crappy laptop speakers. Not being someone who does things halfheartedly or on the cheap I set out on a quest to find a very good quality small pair of passive speakers that are optimized for nearfield listening without a subwoofer. I hoped to use a small amplifier I already had that was collecting dust with the Aune Mini USB DAC / Headphone Amp I bought last go around (since it has a line-out). Unfortunately, I had forgotten that the amplifier was collecting dust because it is a piece of crap. That minor detail was brought back to light during my speaker search.

Based on recommendations and reviews, and in contrast to some of my original criteria, I decided to get the Emotiva Pro Airmotiv 4 speakers.

As you can see from the picture they've active speakers rather than passive speakers. Unlike typical 2.0 PC speakers where there is an amplifier module in one speaker and a connected passive 2nd speaker each Airmotiv 4 has a 2 channel amplifier in it (powering the midwoofer and tweeter separately) and an active crossover. Unfortunately, this means that each speaker has its own volume/gain knob and there's no way to link them. Since the Aune Mini USB DAC / Headphone Amp has a fixed level line output this leaves me without a unified way to control the volume. The Windows mixer wasn't an option because it mangles the audio plus relying on the PC to control volume is risky if an application spikes the volume on you. I wasn't going to plug the speakers into the headphone output so that meant I needed another piece of equipment. I could have gotten a pre-amp of some sort, but nothing jumped out at me in my brief search, and it didn't really tickle my fancy to further clutter my desk with another piece of audio gear.

Instead, I decided to get a USB DAC / Heaphone Amp with a variable line-out. That makes it a USB DAC + Pre-amp / Headphone Amp. I took a look at the newer Aune X1 Mini DAC which had the right features, but I had concerns it would hiss like the previous one and need modification(s). Since I was very happy with the Audio-gd NFB-10SE I got for home listening (there's a thread for that), I decided to check out what Audio-gd had that might fit the bill in a smaller package and at a lower cost than the NFB-10SE. I found the NFB-15.1 and liked what I saw.

It had all the features I wanted and even uses Asynchronous USB audio transfer mode instead of the more common synchronous mode. Basically it means the USB device doesn't rely on any clocks from the PC, but rather uses only the clock in the DAC to control how quickly data is sent from the PC to the USB chip. This is supposed to mean lower jitter and better sound.

Over the last two days I received the NFB-15.1 and the Airmotiv 4 speakers. Friday I brought them both to work and set them up on my desk. My coworkers were very impressed with the sound of the Airmotiv 4 speakers. One of them wanted to know where the subwoofer was. :scratch: I must say that sitting nearfield the Airmotiv speakers sound very very good. Even I was a little surprised by the sound quality. The folded ribbon tweeter is fantastic. The Audio-gd NFB-15.1 is also very slick. There's no background hiss even with very sensitive IEMs. It sounds very good. The leftmost switch changes whether the headphones get audio via the internal amp or whether the speakers get sound via the RCA jacks on the back so you can switch on the fly (only one output is active at the time). Everything I wanted in a small fairly simple with box with great sound quality.

Overall, I'd call this "project" a success. :mrgrn:

Cliffs:
  • Spent $619 on audio gear for my desk at work because I'm nuts
  • Enjoying it

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If it makes you feel even slightly better, I have a $1000 Onkyo receiver sitting on my desk at work and I blew about $500 on acoustic treatment stuff so I can listen to music at anything above a whisper without everyone in my office complaining they can hear it.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have an office, and am considering moving the Onkyo NR-808 in there, and have already put in a bunch of acoustic treatment. I just don't know what speakers to put in to replace the Klipsch 2.1 system I've had for over a decade. Looking for something good in the near-field with a strong low-end that won't require a sub.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have an office, and am considering moving the Onkyo NR-808 in there, and have already put in a bunch of acoustic treatment. I just don't know what speakers to put in to replace the Klipsch 2.1 system I've had for over a decade. Looking for something good in the near-field with a strong low-end that won't require a sub.
How large of speakers can you accommodate and what's your budget?

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like a nice setup, ut I agree, that seems crazy for a cube farm location. How far away from your head do these sit when you're at your desk working and are they propped up on anything or sitting on the actual desk?

ddrueding

Fixture
Budget would be about the same as yours. They would sit on either side of my main monitor (42" LED-LCD TV) so they could be fairly large. Distance from them to my ears would be about 2'. My main interest in having them so close is that it will seem much louder to me than anyone walking past my office (I like to keep the door open). Another note is that they should sound awesome at very low volume settings for any mid-day gaming/youtube sessions that may occur ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
Meh, if the performance benefit is substantial I can go to $500. These will never be at a loud level, but fidelity at low volumes across the frequency range is important.

Mercutio

Do you have an office? I'm in spread out cube farm which makes the purchases even more insane.

I'm frequently reminded that, not only do I have an office, I have the largest office. Which would probably be substantially more appealing were it not for the bare steel shelving units that hold my parts collection and all the loud server crap that's running full time, which is a big part of why I have so much wrapped up in audio equipment in my office in the first place. Basically I work in a storeroom/data closet.

At least I have windows now. And a view of a water park, for times when I want to see the People of WalMart in their bathing suits.

dd: I got a pair of M-Audio studio monitors from a woot-off a couple years ago. They're not hard to find on Ebay and they sound great for their size.

Mercutio

Mostly it's 40-year-old, 250lb. grandmothers in NASCAR-related apparel who light their next cigarette with the butt of the current one.
Around here, a 40 year old with a six year old grandchild is not unusual.

Handruin

Administrator
Meh, if the performance benefit is substantial I can go to $500. These will never be at a loud level, but fidelity at low volumes across the frequency range is important.

I'd give serious consideration to the Emotiva Pro Airmotiv speakers. Given that you're sitting nearfield that makes most passive speakers questionable for that application.

In case you decide to go Emotiva, I just got this in my email today:

We’re sharing the love! Save 10% with code LOVE2012.

We are still buzzing from Emofest. Over 500 people traveled from near and far places (even Stockholm, Sweden)!

Every year we make it “worth the trek” for our friends. We think some people make the journey just for the amazing deals we have at Emofest. We realize, though, that there are many people that participate in Emofest weekend, despite not actually being physically present at our facility. The activity on the Emotiva Lounge was at an all-time high over Labor Day weekend. So, for those of you who were unable to make it (or for those of you who were, but still have your Emobucks to cash in) we are extending the love... From now until 9/30 we are offering 10% off any non-clearance product* at both emotiva.com and emotivapro.com. Just enter code: LOVE2012 at checkout.

We also have some extra t-shirts left over from Emofest. If you would like one to accompany your order, please email customerservice@emotiva.com or call 615-790-6754.

We would not be where we are today without our customers and Emotiva Lounge members who share our passion for music, cinema, and the mindset that you shouldn't need to take out a loan to own and enjoy high-end audio components. We sincerely thank you.

Your friends at Emotiva

*10% off sale does not apply to clearance products: the UMC-1 and X-Ref speakers

Stereodude

Not really a
Grrr... I expected them to run a discount after "Emofest", but when they didn't I decided to order anyhow. Now they run it.

What did you buy from them to get on their mailing list?

Handruin

Administrator
Grrr... I expected them to run a discount after "Emofest", but when they didn't I decided to order anyhow. Now they run it.

What did you buy from them to get on their mailing list?

That's a bummer. Maybe call them and see if it's within the 30-days of your trial or you could return them and reorder. I'm guessing they'll give you the 10%.

I bought the Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier a while back. I've always wondered about their speakers. It's nice to hear they make a good product, at least in this specific case. My impression was that their sub woofers were decent at a reasonable value also.

ddrueding

Fixture
If it makes you feel any better I procrastinated too long and didn't get the deal either. Just ordered the "4"s. Not sure what I'm going to do about the rest of the audio path, at the moment my motherboard has the following:

Audio
  1. 1 x Creative CA20K2 chip
  2. High Definition Audio
  3. 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
  4. Support for Dolby[SUP]®[/SUP] Digital Live/DTS Neo:pC/DTS Interactive
  5. Support for S/PDIF Out

Not sure how much more a USB soundcard would get me?

Handruin

Administrator
If it makes you feel any better I procrastinated too long and didn't get the deal either. Just ordered the "4"s. Not sure what I'm going to do about the rest of the audio path, at the moment my motherboard has the following:

Not sure how much more a USB soundcard would get me?

I wouldn't be surprised if Emotiva has a thanksgiving sale or a holiday sale coupon in the next month or so, but it looks like you already ordered them.

I think the idea from a more-purist perspective with having a usb-based sound card is getting it outside of the noisy computer environment. I can't say either way if your current sound card would have any issue with noise. You'll probably be fine with it. If this is going in your office, you'll have other noises to deal with anyway.

ddrueding

Fixture
If this is going in your office, you'll have other noises to deal with anyway.

Actually, my office is pretty much silent. I've already taken the major steps:

Acoustic paneling, more on the way
NZXT external fan controller, the computer is silent when not gaming
Replaced the ballasts in the overhead lights with silent ones

If I have a laptop on my desk, I can hear the fan idling and the HDD. The thing that really bugs me is the hiss from the desk phone after a PA announcement; the only way to make it stop is to engage the speakerphone and hang up. If I knew what electronic modification would fix that I'd be all over it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Got the Emotiva Airmotiv-4s this morning. Hooked them up to a Creative USB Sound Blaster HD I had kicking around and put them on some Auralex monitor stands that elevate them a bit and air them more towards my head. I don't know if near field are always this directionally sensitive, but it really does matter with these speakers. The sound is amazing, my only complaint being that the low-end is particularly weak when the volume level is very low. I don't have a meter to tell you how low, but I can hear it if I scratch a fingernail over a plastic key.

ddrueding

Fixture
I currently have both at 0. From what I can see it looks like the LF goes to -2 or -4 only. I suppose I could set the HF to -2? I've upped the volume a bit, and since there is no sub, my neighbors still can't hear it. The speakers sound fantastic once the volume is a little higher.

Stereodude

Not really a
That's not likely to help. I have mine on my desk, not on stands, so I'm getting more bass reinforcement than you are. Then again, I'm not sure how loudly your listening.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't know how to reference the volume level. The Windows volume level is at 20% and the knob on the speakers is turned up ~15 degrees from off; at about the 8:30 position. Turning it to 40% and the 9-o'clock makes all the difference.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know how to reference the volume level. The Windows volume level is at 20% and the knob on the speakers is turned up ~15 degrees from off; at about the 8:30 position. Turning it to 40% and the 9-o'clock makes all the difference.

It's tough to describe without some kind of SPL meter. Your source line level from your sound card is going to be different from whatever SD is using, so your position on the volume knob is only relative to the level of the line signal being fed to the amplifier in the speaker.

ddrueding

Fixture
Everyone finally went home and I got to crank it. I now understand why people were looking for a subwoofer; even on the deepest of dubstep mixes it never hits bottom. Each lower note is distinctly...lower. Songs like "Cupid & Orlando" by Aromabar sound fantastic; it sounds like the high-frequency notes have no impact at all on the lower notes.

Handruin

Administrator
Everyone finally went home and I got to crank it. I now understand why people were looking for a subwoofer; even on the deepest of dubstep mixes it never hits bottom. Each lower note is distinctly...lower. Songs like "Cupid & Orlando" by Aromabar sound fantastic; it sounds like the high-frequency notes have no impact at all on the lower notes.

I'd like something like this for my home desktop setup, but I can't justify it right now. Glad to hear two positive reviews on them.

Stereodude

Not really a
You could have gotten the 6's. :p Or, better yet the forthcoming Stealth 8's.

ddrueding

Fixture
Looking for a sub to go with the Emotiva 4s. I don't need more power, just lower frequencies than they can hit. The example that highlighted this most so far is "Natural Self - In the Morning". Baseline has a nice progression, and some of the notes are just...gone.

Something that matches the character and quality of the Emotivas would be great. Emotiva makes one, but it looks to be more overkill than I am interested in.

Stereodude

Not really a
Looking for a sub to go with the Emotiva 4s. I don't need more power, just lower frequencies than they can hit. The example that highlighted this most so far is "Natural Self - In the Morning". Baseline has a nice progression, and some of the notes are just...gone.

Something that matches the character and quality of the Emotivas would be great. Emotiva makes one, but it looks to be more overkill than I am interested in.
Are you using a receiver or just plugging the speakers into your PC?

If you want to use a subwoofer correctly you really need something that will do proper bass management (ie: remove the content from the mains and router it to the subwoofer).

ddrueding

Fixture
The Stealth 8s look awesome. Shame that I already bought the 4s (which look to be discontinued). But 30hz isn't low enough anyway.

ddrueding

Fixture

Interesting. I was on the Emotiva website and the 5 and 6 are listed, but not the 4. That is only on the EmotivaPro website. Strange marketing.

The 8's are only ~425% more than the 4's. I'd consider them to be pretty much interchangeable also.

Yeah, I was kidding, it doesn't transfer correctly when I'm sick. It would be interesting to somehow analyze the music I'm listening to and find what frequency range would be required to fully support it.