DriveImage XML

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm confused...you restore the image from inside Windows?? What if you have a bare drive?

Bozo :joker:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Anyone tried clonezilla ?

I've been using a custom ghost (6? 7?) network boot CD that I made off of barts network boot disk to create backups over the network to a samba share.

It has worked extremely well. But unfortunately, networking in DOS is a bit slow on some PCs. And I have to make sure the NICs have DOS drivers (one of the reasons I love intel NICs).

I was looking to use clonezilla (OSS linux based imager) to fill the same niche. Looks like the live CD version should fill the exact space of my current ghost boot disk, plus provides more options for storage... nfs, ssh, smb, etc. It probably has better hardware and file system support as well.

There's a server based option as well that supports many of the features that Ghost corporate did... multicast, pxe boot, etc. Though that might be overkill for my uses.

Last edited:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'll have to look into Clonezilla.
DOS-based Ghost is problematic at this point, since its support for SATA drives and controllers is iffy to nonexistent. TrueImage works, and works well, but it's missing scripted restore and multicast support that I would really like to have.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
True Image also sees motherboard RAID 1 as two separate hard drives when running from the boot CD. This is on an Intel MB.

Blakerwry: why don't you install True Image on the computers and just schedule it to make back ups?

Bozo :joker:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
DOS-based Ghost is problematic at this point, since its support for SATA drives and controllers is iffy to nonexistent.
I've switched exclusively to using Ghost32 in WinPE. Generally solves those problems.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
why don't you install True Image on the computers and just schedule it to make back ups?

This is for my place of work. And an imaging system for 50-100 desktops is not really something that would pay off if we had to spend $50+ per workstation + ~ $1000 for the server software...

Besides, we are a big supporter of OSS, have contributed to a few projects, and I would like to continue to use OSS solutions where they make sense.