Downloads not working in IE7

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I've noticed this problem about two weeks ago. Whenever I try to do a download in IE7, no matter from where, I get the message "Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

Any ideas of what can be causing this and how to fix it? Downloads work fine in Opera but sometimes I have to use IE for sites to display properly. I don't want to have to open Opera every time I need to do downloads from those sites.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Here's the add-ons currently loaded:

IE7_Addons.gif

Here's all the add-on used at one time or another (I had to scroll down and make 3 screen captures):

IE7_Addons_Used_1.gif

IE7_Addons_Used_2.gif

IE7_Addons_Used_3.gif

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well crap. Everything on your list is legit. The only unsigned controls are MSNIM and the stupid CTadjust thing which has something to do with fonts IIRC.

You don't by any chance have your security and/or privacy setting turned way up, do you?

There's a button in Internet Options that resets all IE settings to their defaults and disables add-ons. That would be a thing to try too.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Privacy and security settings are at medium. I tried turning everything way down with no effect. I just tried the restore defaults with no effect, either. This is a weird problem in that maybe two weeks ago things were fine, and now they're not for no apparent reason.

I tried doing a Google search for this problem before starting this thread. It seems it's happened to others, but I didn't come across any solutions.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Correct, the LAN settings are all blank. Anyway, downloads do work OK in Opera so I would imagine this is an IE specific problem rather than something having to do with my LAN setup.

I should note that a while back I had to set my LAN TCP/IP properties to access specific DNS addresses in order to view Candlepowerforums due to a problem they were having. However, the problem was fixed and I restored the properties to obtain DNS addresses automatically. This was over a month ago. Downloads were working fine before, during, and after I made these changes.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Today I noticed that my temporary internet files folder was well over 1GB. Also, when I went to disk cleanup it told me I would only gain 1700KB by deleting my temporary internet files. Figuring that something was wrong, I went to my file manager and deleted all the folders and files in my temporary internet files folder then emptied the recycle bin. The system wouldn't let me delete the index.dat file so I booted into DOS and deleted that manually (yes, the system is XP but I left my C: and D: partitions FAT32 expressly in case I needed to do something in pure DOS). Anyway, upon rebooting and using IE the download problem appears to be fixed. At least I know what to do next time this happens. My guess is either the index.dat got too large and somehow corrupted, or the temporary internet files folder got too large. In any case the problem is fixed but thanks all for the help anyway!

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
One of the things I do to any browser is make sure that encrypted pages are not saved, and the temp files are deleted when the browser closes.
In IE7 Tools>Internet Options>Advanced.

Bozo :joker:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You may also want to limit the size of temporary internet files. Tools --> Options --> Temporary Internet files section --> Settings button. The default is some ungodly #.