CPU prices - stagnant?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I just saw that the Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0 GHz CPU I bought almost 1 year ago for $99 is still $99. I would think that a lower-end CPU would fall in price, and perhaps even no longer be available in favor or newer models. Was the Bulldozer fiasco that crippling for AMD? On the Intel side, the 2600K has dropped in price by a measly $10. What gives?

Meanwhile, hard drive prices have shot up. Are SSD prices set to rise next? Is this the computer apocalypse?

Stereodude

Not really a
AMD has no game right now, so why would Intel drop their prices? Plus, it's right before the holidays when people are buying. They would hold off price cuts until after the holidays.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
According to supply figures, flash prices will go up a bit. Some SSDs are replacing hard drives due to the shortage.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
To further elaborate, rather than lowering prices on existing CPUs, Intel has added a new product line to better compete with low end AMD offerings. Rather than lower the price on the i3, we now have Pentium-branded CPUs that seem to occupy the same position as the older Celeron line.

Though apparently Intel still makes Celerons. Hm. I had no idea until I looked just now.

Anyway, two cores of what's currently being called a Pentium compares well to four cores of Athlon/Phenom/whatever and in fact I can build an Intel rig cheaper than a low-end AMD machine at this point. AMD still has the big advantage in terms of integrated GPU and that's very compelling in a consumer setting, but right now there's a case of having to grasp at straws for reasons to choose AMD hardware.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Yes, Thailand flooding. But what natural disaster do we have to explain the lack of price drops in CPUs (mid- or midlle-high range, at least)? Oh yeah, the Bulldozer disaster. Thanks AMD.