(Australia) iiNET services, mainly QLD

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi Guys,

This is mainly for time, LiamC and others who reside in Oz...

My wife and I are heavily consider changing from Helstra to iiNet for our Landline, ADSL and 2x mobiles. Does anyone have any issues or stories they would like to share about their experiences with iiNet?

We are looking at the $99 bundle plan (phone, ADSL, mobile, BoB2) plus an additional mobile plan**, so am interested in experience with BoB2 as a router/modem and if you know what Optus*** coverage is like in the Gold Coast/Brisbane corridor (mainly along the Pacific Motorway) and also around Brisbane... (reports seem overall positive in the coverage aspect).

Thanks in advance.

PS. One of the reasons for moving from Helstra - they seem to think it's acceptable to have a 3 week repair time frame on a landline service on what appears to be a minor fault at the local exchange. (Their SLA for land line fault repairs in our area is 2 working days). Plus they have upped the call rates on the landline plans, mobile plans and moved to 60sec billing on mobiles in the last 3 months which saw a $20 increase in our monthly bill...

** This should make our current $170+ monthly bill to be $129 each month, for a higher download limit, more services, etc... The bundle pack seems really good, just want to make sure it's not too good to be true.

*** iiNet uses the Optus network...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I just switched the office over from Neighborhood Cable/Transact (HFC Internet) and the local Community Telco (rebranded Telstra copper phone line) to ADSL2 and a bundled phone line with Internode, Chewy.

I was paying $100 for 25GB and $30 for the line rental. (I need a real phone line for the EFTPOS machine.) That's $130 total, plus calls - which are less than $5, usually.

Now I pay $60 for 30GB and the line rental with calls around the same price and unmetered ABC iView. The connection is faster and Internode were brilliant to deal with. Highly recommended. (By the way, Iinet now own Transact and Internode, but Internode is run by the old, pre-takeover management.)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Internode here as well, Chewy. They don't have any DSLAMs in my exchange, so the host has been first Telstra, and now Optus. I'm not happy with this aspect - whenever there's a fault, I have no problem talking to Internode (highest customer satisfaction among Australian ISPs), but the hosting telco invariably jerks them (and therefore me) around. On Tuesday, we lost internet access. Optus told Internode that we would have to wait nearly 3 weeks for a technician to come onsite to test the line from our end, i.e. NO PHONE OR INTERNET FOR 3 WEEKS!. Fortunately, the service came back after several hours - I'm 90% certain it was an exchange problem rather than a line problem, because our DSL modem reported a link and I could clearly hear a busy signal on the phone. So far this week, we have had three outages and a couple of dropouts. This is extraordinary and I can only hope it is due to the sustained severe weather conditions.

I have been highly tempted to switch to iiNet (who do have DSLAM ports in my exchange), but their plans didn't work as well for us in the past. Internode charges $80 for phone plus 200GB of data (with no time of day restrictions). 300GB costs $90. Dropping the phone component doesn't save you any money. Downstream connection is about 7Mb/s - which is why I'm stressed out by politicians threatening the upcoming fiber-to-the-premises rollout. Traffic is shaped once you exceed the quota, but you can buy extra 'data blocks' online. That's unique to Internode and means that if we have a blowout, we don't have to limp along at dial-up speeds until the end of the month like everyone else.

My neighbor has iiNet. The service has been fine but the iiNet-supplied Belkin VOIP modem has been a dog. Hopefully a Bob modem is better, but I prefer to use my own equipment anyway.

Incidentally, I was horrified to learn that the absolute maximum 3G data quota that I can buy in Oz - regardless of cost - is 20GB in one month.

For cell phones, we use Vodafone and Optus. In Brisbane, we've had more success with 3G coverage with Vodafone than Optus, despite what some loudmouths on Whirlpool say. That's probably because Vodafone is expanding their coverage to a shrinking customer base, and all their upgraded 3G towers are 850MHz (same as Telstra) rather than 2100MHz. For voice, I don't know if there's much difference, i.e. I've had few problems outside of shopping centers, although I noticed up in the hills near Beenleigh that Telstra has the only usable service.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Just what is it with you guys there?? Even my ISPs here are night & day better; normal response is half a day, extended response is one day (even if I call Saturday night). This is with the private phone/DSL ISP.

The govt. telco is a bit worse - a couple of days to respond.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Thanks time... All our infrastructure is Telstra, but iiNET must now have access to the ADSL2+ DSLAMs at the exchange, as they are one 1 of 4 providers who offer ADSL2+ on our exchange (according to whirlpool and ads2lexchange).

Actually one of the reasons for migrating all our services away from Telstra has been the extremely poor service. Example:
1. Monday loss of phone, but ADSL still working (but very slow - sync at 300-500Kpbs). Call Telstra, do the isolation tests, etc, and their internal testing shows a line fault somewhere near the exchange. (We're 3.7km from the exchange by wire length). Organise a free diverse from the home number to my wife's mobile. Advised should be fixed within the standard CSG (customer service guarantee) time period since we are classed as minor-rural. (48-72 hours).
2. Thursday, still no service. Contact Telstra via phone. and take up the offer for a call back (so we don't have to pay for being on hold of 30+mins on our mobiles). No call back.
3. Friday, still no service. Contact Telstra vis LiveChat, and am advised that I got the wrong department, but will have the technical dept call us back with more information, however was advised that the expected earliest repair is the 13th Mar. So what for call back from Telstra, nothing at 4pm, so call back, and lodge for a callback. Called back after 45 min.
The CSR we spoke to, confirmed the expected repair would be around the 13th Mar, due to "severe storms, flash flooding and heavy damage in QLD". They also said we should have had a case manager call us on Wednesday to advise what was going on, but apparently we were never assigned one, as we were "minor-rural" and had a phone diversion in place. Reminded the CSR what Telstra's CSG is, and that over 3 weeks without a phone service is certainly not acceptable. The CSR said there was nothing he could do, and we would have to wait, and any form of compensation for no service would not be offered, since Telstra "kindly" diverted our home number to one of the mobiles for no charge. (Yep, that's in the fine print).
Now this is where things get interesting: As my wife has certain medical conditions, our account has been flagged for priority fault repair due to "life threatening conditions", and under ACMA rules, any account flagged as such must be repaired within 24-48 hours (depending on location)! (Laws surrounding the carrier license have this as a terms of condition to be a carrier). Advised the CSR that our account is flagged as such, and reminded them that currently Telstra is in breach of their carrier license as the reported fault has not been fixed with the specified time period. Well, guess what, we all of a sudden get a call on our other mobile from another Telstra CSR (apparently located in Sydney) advising that a technician will be onsite at our home to initiate the repair process 8am today! So I guess that call was being listened to be another operator, realised that they had f**ked up majorly, and organised a repair immediately...
5. The technician gets to our place this morning a few minutes early, does the isolation test from our MDF, and finds the fault in the wiring pit at the edge of our estate (about 400m away). Alludes that another Telstra tech must have damaged our wiring doing other work in the pit! (There was no sign of water damage or illegal access to the pit). I also asked what his work backlog was... he said all he has was half a day on Monday, with nothing booked for Monday afternoon! Mentioned the 3 week repair time, and he just laughed, and said some jobs aren't being filtered to the repair crews due to something at the head office end, so most crews are only working half days, unless there is a priority call out (like ours had been escalated to).
6. Oh, and yes we have lodged a complaint with Telstra over the handling of the repair, with a copy sent to the TCO and ACMA for their information.

So with service like that, no wonder people hate Telstra!

@Mubs, unfortunately most of the lines in Australia is owned by Telstra (due to Telstra formally being 100% government, but became a privatised company a number of years ago), so all other phone companies have to lease their lines through Telstra... Telstra despite being a private company now, is still run as if it were a government department, and treat their customers and other telco's like crap because they know they are the ones who have the lines...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
@Mubs, unfortunately most of the lines in Australia is owned by Telstra (due to Telstra formally being 100% government, but became a privatised company a number of years ago), so all other phone companies have to lease their lines through Telstra... Telstra despite being a private company now, is still run as if it were a government department, and treat their customers and other telco's like crap because they know they are the ones who have the lines...

This is not actually true. When Telstra (then called Telecom, and before that known as the PMG) was a government department, they had their issues and their service could be pretty bad, but they were world technology leaders who pioneered things like long-distance microwave trunks and, most important of all, they were answerable to a minister who was answerable to you, as a voter. It could take ages to get stuff done, but they did actually have to answer to someone who was interested in quality of service.

Once Telstra (as it was renamed) was privatised, that stopped dead. From that moment on, Telstra was answerable only to its shareholders, and service standards became completely irrelevant. Only profit mattered. Telstra also stopped investing in network renewal. They spent as little as possible on the existing network, and diverted all available funds to (a) very high dividends, and (b) building a series of new mobile networks because they faced actual competition in the mobile space, and (c) defending and extending the fixed-line monopoly by all available methods. For example, when Optus started building a modern high-speed HFC cable network, Telstra built one too, but not all over - only in the places which they figured would make the Optus cable network commercially unworkable. After a while, Optus realised that whatever they did with cable, Telstra would do something to make it lose money, and they eventually gave up and stopped trying.

This is why Australia has such expensive and backward telecommunications - the dead hand of monopoly has crippled investment for too many years.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Tannin, thanks for the update... it just feels like they are still being run like a government department.

So what are your thoughts on the oppositions anti-fibre stance as part of the NBN? (Malcolm Turnbull was on The Project tonight).

Anyway, placed my order with iiNet to switch over all services this afternoon. Could not have been any easier. (We have already got emails from the landline and ADSL provisioning team for expected switch over times).

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cheers Chewy.

Forgive me while I cross-post something I wrote elsewhere a year or so ago. It's still pretty relevant.

1: What does the NBN entail?

Essentially, there are two main aspects to the NBN.

(1) Replacement of the ancient copper wires running down our streets with modern fibre optic cable.

(2) Replacement of the Telstra monopoly by a wholesale service which is open to all.

Because of the longstanding Telstra monopoly on wires in the ground, Australia's communications infrastructure has progressively deteriorated.

Telstra spent as little as possible on maintenance and upgrades and concentrated on defending its monopoly. It's not entirely fair to blame Telstra's management for this, it is what monopolies always do. (If they don't defend the monopoly, competitors get established and the monopoly is no more.)

(Don't be tricked by the apparent "competition" provided by companies like Optus, Vodafone, TPG, Iinet, Primus and so on. In general, these "competitors" do not own any wires in the ground, they simply resell the Telstra product.)

(Note also that we are talking about landlines here. In the mobile space, Vodafone/Hutchinson have their own network - albeit a small one with poor coverage and major technical problems - and Optus/Virgin have a pretty decent network which is smaller than the Telstra one but still respectable. Optus also has a useful medium-sized HFC cable network in some capital cities, but they never made any money on this and stopped the rollout because Telstra duplicated it in order to make sure that this potentially monopoly-breaking development was strangled at birth.)

The long and the short of it is that we wound up with an ancient, low-quality, high-cost copper network and little hope of any genuine renewal. Telstra refused to spend any serious money upgrading it to a modern standard because there was no point - when you have a monopoly you already have all the business, so there is no point in investing money to upgrade your equipment and attract the customers you already have. (Telstra didn't really care if you switched to Optus or not - Telstra still got the line rental no matter whether you paid it to them via AAPT or Dodo or Optus, or paid it direct to them.)

(Telstra did spend money, serious money, but it went on (a) a massively inefficient company structure which wasted vast amounts on everything from multi-million dollar bonuses for Sol through to byzantine bureaucratic bungles; (b) building up the mobile network where there were competitors; and (c) paying enormous dividends every six months to keep the share price up. The in-ground network got whatever spare change was left over, which is why it is so poor by modern world standards.)

Meanwhile, Australia's consumers and businesses got shafted. We paid sky-high prices for poor quality service with very slow data rates. It didn't really matter whether we paid Optus or Dodo or Telstra direct because, in the end, the data traveled over Telstra's wire and whenever it went wrong, Telstra was responsible for fixing it. If you were a Telstra customer, they generally gave you fairly poor service. If you were an Optus customer (or with any other non-Telstra provider), Telstra shuffled the paperwork and lost the forms and generally made excuses for a few weeks while you quietly went insane or broke or both, and then provided you with the same poor service they gave their own customers. Of course, they pretended to comply with the laws that required them to service all phone lines equally regardless of who your provider was, but the reality was very different.

Enter the NBN.

Eventually, something had to give. The government asked all the telcos to tender for Australia's long overdue network reconstruction. Telstra (under Sol) simply told them to get stuffed. Telstra would do what Telstra liked. The government spat the dummy and decided to set up a complete new network, using modern technology. After some consideration, they decided not to go half-way modern with a fibre-to-the-node system, but do the thing properly and have an all-fibre system. The cost is higher to start with but the long-term cost is lower and the performance is much better.

The NBN is owned by the government for the present but will be sold off when it is finished to recover costs. Whoever buys it will be required to operate it at an agreed cost and agreed service levels (just like gas and electricity companies) and NOT allowed to sell retail connections. The NBN is wholesale only. There can be no favouritism, the NBN serves all customers equally. No consumer deals directly with the NBN Company, you deal with a service provider of your own choice - Iinet, Optus, Transact, Telstra, Dodo, whoever you want.

The technology

Around 90% of Australians will have a fibre connection. The other 10% live too far away from population centres to allow cost-effective fibre installation, so they get a wireless system. (Not the wireless you have now, a significantly better one, but still much inferior to fibre. Them's the breaks. If you want to live in a very small town or out in 20-acre block country, you can't really expect the rest of Australia to spend tens of thousands of dollars running a cable just for you.)

The NBN fibre connection replaces your old copper connection. It carries Internet, cable TV (if desired) and landline telephone (if desired).

Because it is fibre, it is vastly faster than copper, and enormously faster than any wireless technology. Exactly how much faster? Essentially, the sky is the limit. Once you have the cable in the ground, the speed is determined by the devices you plug into each end. You can upgrade it any time new technology becomes available - simply get a new modem (at your end) and (if needed) an equivalent upgrade at the exchange end.

But what about mobile? Simply, mobile doesn't cut it. Mobile is convenient, but it is very limited, and very expensive. There are now more mobile Internet connections in Australia than fixed line connections, and the number of mobile connections just keeps climbing. But fixed lines do all the heavy lifting. The (roughly) 50% of Internet connections that are mobile carry 7% of the traffic. 93% of the traffic is on fixed lines and the proportion is still going up. Why? Because fixed lines are faster and cheaper. Much faster and much cheaper. And that is just considering our current low-tech copper lines. The modern all-fibre systems, over time, will dramatically lower the cost and at the same time vastly increase speed. We are already starting to see the speed dividend in places lucky enough to have the NBN already. The cost reductions will take longer. Once the new network gets to a reasonable size economies of scale (which work against it at the moment) will work in its favour and costs will drop.

For now, though, expect to pay about what you are paying already (a bit less with luck, a lot less later on) but get vastly higher speed.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
So what are your thoughts on the oppositions anti-fibre stance as part of the NBN?

Cross-posted again, I'm afraid, but this should cover it.

The Liberals' "plan" is not just vastly slower, it is also not any cheaper, certainly not cheaper over even the medium term.
  • The Liberals "plan" to retain the ancient copper network as well as modern fibre, and they need both because they don't have fibre to the home. Maintaining two networks to do the job of one won't be cheap.
  • The Liberals' "plan" is unfunded and un-costed. In particular, it requires building vast numbers of fibre-copper interface cabinets, one in every street, and these cabinets not only cost most of the money they saved by not running fibre all the way, they also require a supply of AC power from the mains, and this means negotiating a contract with the power companies and finding a way to connect into the mains. Remember, communication cables and power cables don't generally run together, so you have to mess about erecting an extra power pole and installing an extra meter, and connecting everything up. Why not just run the fibre all the way and have done with it?
  • The Liberals' "plain" fails to state how it is going to unbake the huge eleven billion dollar Telstra contract cake. That is going to cost them multiple billions of dollars.
  • The Liberals' "plan" hands a vital part of the system over to a monopoly private company which will then be free to price-gouge and provide dreadful service. This back to the future "plan" is madness!
  • Finally, the Liberals' "plan" is non-upgradable. The copper part of it is already at its limit and will have to be replaced by fibre soon enough anyway. It is idiotic to spend all that money building street cabinets and connecting power up to them and filling them up with electronics to translate from fibre to old-style copper and then spend even more money replacing them 'cause you need fibre to carry the data.
In short, the Liberals don't have a plan, it's more of an impractical joke.

(Sorry for the cross-post, but it seems to say what we need to say here.)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Finally, Telstra service standards.

You know, ever since they got rid of the appallingly bad Sol Trujillo and put the soft-spoken, effective David Thodey in charge instead, Telstra has improved. Improved out of sight. I'm not saying they are perfect, 'cause they certainly ain't, but David Thodey takes service quality very, very seriously and, little by little, he is transforming the company. They won't have a monopoly for very much longer, and by the time the monopoly ends, Thodey says, Telstra will need to have people actually wanting to deal with them 'cause they offer better service. That's a huge ask from an organisation which has won multiple awards for the worst customer service in an entire industry, and regularly wins the medal as Australia's Worst ISP, but I reckon they have made massive progress already. Hell, I have a Telstra mobile now. Yes, me. Tannin, the same bloke who was ripped off so badly by the lying scum they used to have working for them that I took them to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman and won the case and was awarded compensation not just once but two different times. Yes me, Tannin, the same bloke who swore that I would never, ever, ever deal with Telstra again.

What changed? Well Telstra getting a lot better was one factor, needing Telstra's mobile coverage 'cause I spend so much time in outback Queensland was another, and (sadly) the final kicker was a sustained and very noticeable decline in Optus' service, which over the last decade has gone from the best in the industry to almost as bad as Telstra used to be. (One thing I'll say for Optus, they have always been honest; even during their long series of farrrkups and delays which eventually saw me go to Virgin (worse!) and then (in desperation!) Telstra, they were at least honestly incompetent. In the old days (not now) Telstra just used to lie. Deliberately.)

/rant

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
^ They'll probably think we made it all up. It must be just fiction. :eek: You wouldn't really get a whole first-world country with a telecommunications network as throughly borked as the one we just described.

Would you? :)

Oh no, wait. I just remembered the US health-care system. Perhaps they would believe it after all.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
^ They'll probably think we made it all up. It must be just fiction. :eek: You wouldn't really get a whole first-world country with a telecommunications network as throughly borked as the one we just described.
Would you? :)

You probably have it better than I do. My options are sluggish DSL or unreliable cable. They have been talking about fiber opticals for five years, but at this rate I will be dead before it comes to the neighborhood. :(

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cheers, Lunar. There is a weird sort of symmetry here:

USA: have DSL, talking about upgrading fibre optic cable

Australia: have fibre optic cable (part installed), talking about "upgrading" to DSL.

Sigh. Do you want some backward-looking, monumentally ignorant loudmouth politicians with not the slightest clue about technology (or indeed anything much else that's happened since 1750)? We have got plenty. Have as many as you want, on the house. (Damn shame Ratsack doesn't work on 'em.)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Oh, please. You people don't know from deliberately ignorance in politicians until you've seen the breathtaking stupidity of men who believe that the Earth is no more than 6,000 years old and/or are willing to argue about things like Germ theory being made responsible for Congressional science policy.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
We have them too Merc. Hell, the Leader of the Opposition - virtually certain to win the election in September - is one. He cleverly cloaks it and pretends to be taking his medication, but every now and then his real beliefs slip out. And some of his sidekicks are downright loopy. Not as spectacular as your lot, I grant you, but pretty weird, and very, very dangerous.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
It's the same all over the world. How these dumbos are elected to power would make a fascinating doctoral thesis. It's probably because the good ones don't want to get into the filthy waters.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Thanks for sharing... I've heard similar from a friend who works at an ISP... but what they don't mention, is that some services are going from 5-10Mbps (on ADSL2+ due to distance from the exchange) to 100Mbps at a very similar price with the same/similar download limit.

I just don't get the whole issue between using the existing copper network and laying new fibre? considering we are reaching limits on what can be offered over copper (based on POTS technology and ADSL), vs what fibre can offer with minimal upgrades (1-10Gbps), and not to mention that the fibre can be used to carry voice, IP traffic and TV (be it free to air or pay tv), could save companies a lot of money of having to deploy their own specific equipment, (eg satellite services).

A side note from the interview that Malcolm Turnbull did on The Project, he mentioned that he had 100Mbps HFC (Cable) at his residence and he said it was nothing special, and we could all just use that instead! (Quick guess on much of the population 100Mbps HFC installation actually covers)? So the choice would be to install HFC everywhere to make up the difference (so everyone could have access to 100Mbps connectivity), or to lay fibre? I'll take fibre any day...

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Sorry for the necro thread rebirth...

For the Australian members, are you still using the ISP you may have mentioned above? Or any recommendations?

For the long story,

When we first joined iiNet, things were much, much better than Bigpond, support was responsive and issued corrected quickly, pricing was reasonable, etc... Admittedly we did have a few teething issues with our account setup (our account setup wasn't done correctly), but on the actual connectivity side things were ok. Things were quite good for the first 12 mths being with them...

As for the Bob2 modem... while it works, it does it poorly... We went through 3 different Bob2's in 18mths before shelving it and replacing with a modem we purchased. (We get the Bob2 as part of our bundle included, so we effectively rent it, and need to keep it, in order to maintain our bundle package. But hey, we're treating it as a spare modem).

Fast forward to today:
*. Support response and general knowledge is worse than when we left Telstra/Bigpond. While the staff you speak to are friendly, it appears they either don't have the knoweldge to actually fix your issue, or lack the resources to do so. They typically take over a week to respond to email support enquiries, they don't read what you wrote in the email, and they close the support ticket without confirming the issues have in fact been solved. Their CSR staff have often been found to not even recording that you called back in regards to support tickets when following up enquiries. (Yes, this happened to me just 2 days ago!)
*. Continued issues with their infrastructure (their DNS servers seem to sh*t themselves once a week, their file mirrors seem to be feed by 1Mb pipes or are severely overloaded, their steam server mirror is shockingly slow, etc),
*. Pricing is no longer cost competitive regarding ADSL connections (unless you are connected to a phone exchange with their DSLAMs installed).
*. And to top it all off, they are having issues with correct accounting of traffic, whether it be counted towards your monthly quota or is free traffic, so if you see what your monthly usage is, it's reading incorrectly... This has been going on for at least 3 months... No fix in sight... (This is happening with my account, I've provided traceroute information, packet captures proving I've downloaded from sources that are to accounted as free traffic, but all I get is silence when asking for answers).

So, since our contract with iiNet is about to come up, we are starting to look around...

We did see the new Foxtel Bundles (AU$105 gets you landline with all calls free, ADSL2+ w/200GB quota, 43 channels on Foxtel Pay TV), but early reports are that it's to be avoided due to inept support/accounts staff at Foxtel.

I still get a lot of good feedback about Internode, but since being bought out by iiNet, I fear that they too will be on a downward slide sometime soon...

Optus don't service my area at all... That leaves TPG and going back to Telstra/Bigpoo...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Not much help here I'm afraid. :(

Still with Internode / Optus and now only 6 Mb/s with about 0.7 Mb/s upstream. I haven't had contact with the ISP for a while, which I guess is a good sign.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
@time, thanks. I've looked at Internodes offerings, but my wife is pushing for us to switch back to Telstra... Mainly for a number of reasons:

1. Telstra appears to be the only provider to offer Priority Assistance on landline repairs. (iiNet stopped offering this 12mths ago). She's undergoing cancer treatment, so this is something I would like to have...
2. Her mobile reception in most hospitals she visits is very problematic. (No reception in PA Hosp, Mater Private, Logan Hosp, but Telstra users all have good reception in these places). (Note: iiNet use Optus for mobile access).
3. We're on Telstra infrastructure for our landline and ADSL connection...
4. Telstra/Bigpond are tending to get decent reviews on whirlpool in the last 6-12 mths...
5. And we're looking at increasing our monthly quota, from 100GB to 200GB, and this would be an extra $20 per month with iiNet**. At this pricing Bigpond offer similar products for the same money.

** At the moment we get 100GB as part of our quota, and that applies anytime. The next plan up (+$10 per mth) ups to 300GB but 150GB is onpeak (8am - 2am), and 150GB is offpeak (2am - 8am). 99% of our usage is 9am-8pm, so for our own usage pattern, that only equates to an extra 50GB, not 200GB... So to get something we can use, we need to go 1 level up again...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
iiNet (and others) are being squeezed by Telstra and now Optus. AFAIK they abandoned reselling Telstra DSLAMs some years ago after anti-competitive wholesale price increases. More recently, Optus has been squeezing out its 3G/4G network resellers, such as Woolworths. I was amazed when I checked the latest pricing for iiNet and Internode where they have to use Optus DSLAMs. It looks like the "offpeak" limitation is tied to that somehow - there's no such limitation on their own network.

Despite all that, I don't know how you get their pricing up to the $130pm that Telstra wants for 200GB?

I suspect the lack of priority service can be attributed to their reselling of Optus phone services, rather than Telstra native. Presumably the CSG (2-3 day Customer Service Guarantee) somehow doesn't apply.

The Foxtel package sounds good until you realise that base Foxtel is now only $25pm. Of course, you don't get many interesting channels for that ...

Personally, I try to avoid bundles these days. Got burned many years ago and now prefer to have a spread of vendors supplying my key services.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Despite all that, I don't know how you get their pricing up to the $130pm that Telstra wants for 200GB?
Using all available bundle options and discounts:
iiNet: OffNet Home - 3 Turbo w/300GB (150GB peak/150GB offpeak) ($59.95) + landline ($29.95) + call pack ($20) = $109.90 pm. No further discounts available, unless current sale offer (there is an offer to double quota for new customers).
Telstra: Home Bundle L w/200GB ($130) - $20pm (current sale discount) = $110.00 pm. Further discounts available if bundling mobile plans on the same account.

I suspect the lack of priority service can be attributed to their reselling of Optus phone services, rather than Telstra native. Presumably the CSG (2-3 day Customer Service Guarantee) somehow doesn't apply.
About 2 yrs ago, when the NBN was started to be rolled out, the ACMA redid a lot of the carrier requirements, and only Telstra has a hard requirement to offer Priority Assistance... Therefore most of the other providers dropped offering the service (which admittedly was painful to action via Telstra Wholesale). The 2-3 day CSG still applies as a best effort only for urban customers. Rural customer can be up to 14 days now.

Personally, I try to avoid bundles these days. Got burned many years ago and now prefer to have a spread of vendors supplying my key services.
I'm not that much of fan of the bundles, but it does allow you to keep track of when contracts are up for renewal easier...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That's the death of the remaining competition in the Australian ISP market. #4 eats #3 (or possibly #2 - I don't trust Optus figures).

So you're left with a choice of the phone and exchange monopolist (Arstel/Telstra), the Singapore company that bought into a duopoly when the government wanted to flog their satellite network (Optus), and a dodgy, cut-price provider infamous for over-subscribing and deceptive advertising.

Optus makes a good living off the back of their cable duopoly and isn't remotely interested in building a business and the requisite infrastructure.
Arstel is successfully moving back to being a monopoly.
I expect my already weak DSL service to degrade significantly in 12-18 months time, when the 'tried and true' technique of over-subscription is rolled out to the purchased companies. I can also look forward to reasonably trained Australian support staff being replaced by call centers in China, or whichever ESL (English as a Second Language) country they can get the cheapest service from.

Worthy of Friday 13th, I'm afraid. :(

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
That's the death of the remaining competition in the Australian ISP market.
Exactly... I've got a friend who works at a regional ISP on the Gold Coast (OnTheNet), and even he admits both Telstra and Optus are putting a lot of financial strain on their wholesale users, where Telstra and Optus are not just quite undercutting their own wholesale pricing plans, making profit margins for those ISPs using Telstra (and Optus) wholesale, very very slim... On the low end plans with low quotas, Telstra is still expensive, but if you look at the higher end plans (500GB+ quota), Telstra is very, very competive on pricing.

IIRC, TPG use call centres in the Philipines, with some higher level support services still located in Australia.... As part of the deal, I feel sorry for all the local iiNet staff...

Anyway, we've switched all services back to Telstra and swap over has been fairly painless so far, the only issue being return of rental equipment back to iiNet. (As part of our bundle with iiNet, we had a Bob2 as a rental option). I lodge for the return on the 20-Mar, and they advise I'm liable to rental payments until they receive the unit back, which is fine. However, they send you a pre-paid return satchel in which you are to return the unit in, and then they don't bother sending it to you for over a week after requesting the return... Nice way to collect some extra money for nothing...

A few items we've noticed after switching back... Mobile reception is vastly improved, but we were expecting this... Browsing the web at peak times is better than iiNet, so there was some congestion on iiNet's network, but only noticable in a direct comparison. (eg If I download something from mirror.aarnet.edu.au on iiNet, I would normally get 700KBps, but on Telstra, it's 900KBps). And with Telstra, we've received 3mths free access to Presto. We've watched a few TV shows, and it works quite well even during peak times.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Looks like you Aussies would be a bit better if iiNet would be purchased by M2 :
http://www.zdnet.com/article/m2-launches-au2-25-billion-counter-bid-for-iinet/

At least they fight for their customers' right a little. That should tell something.
But the problem is the M2 Group own "Dodo" which IIRC is about the 4th largest ISP in Oz, but it also run like an extreme cut-price-no-frills, and forget any customer service or support type ISP. There is a lot of fear that if iiNet is purchased by M2, that the support quality (which IMO is quite poor already) will nose dive even further...