AT&T's new Privacy Policy

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
AT&T privacy policy overreaches, lawyers say from the Register

The revised language, appearing under the heading "Legal Obligations/Fraud" and only accessible to AT&T customers, states:
While your account information may be personal to you, these records constitute business records that are owned by AT&T. As such, AT&T may disclose such records to protect its legitimate business interests, safeguard others, or respond to legal process. Specifically, AT&T provides account information to collection agencies and/or credit bureaus. We may disclose your information in response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims. We may also use your information in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of Service Terms or the Acceptable Use Policy, or as otherwise required or permitted by law.

While this does not apply to telephone usage (only broadband and video customers), I as a AT&T telephone customer switched my long distance provider because of this. I can't imagine rewarding a company with my continued business that declares all personal information to simply be a corporate asset to be used as they see fit. Corporations don't care about individuals, their sole purpose in this world is to make a profit for their shareholders.

I believe that if AT&T can get away with this, then so will every other corporation follow suit. What is needed is a massive customer revolt and then appropiate laws protecting privacy would be good too.

Please join me, in removing your business from AT&T and be sure and call their customer service lines, to tell them why you are leaving...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Tannin said:
How does that differ from ordinary business practice of many years standing?

The phrase "While your account information may be personal to you, these records constitute business records that are owned by AT&T" Virtually all other privacy policies state that the data is yours, not theirs. This as severe consequences with a persons rights as well as recompensation if they are harmed by the release of the data. Further, if owned by AT&T, then they have the right to do whatever they want with the data -- Policy be dammed, just like I have the right to give out my social security number to anyone I want.

Further, the policy gives them the right to do whatever they want by including the phrase "AT&T may disclose such records to protect its legitimate business interests". Anything that either protects an asset or supplies them with some money is a legitimate business interest. I can just feel the oncoming wave of marketting. It will legitimatize all those companies that sell personal data to anyone that pays -- All they would have to say is that they bought the data from AT&T...

Then there is the issue that when your data gets out, and you are victimized, then who can you sue? Not AT&T, they own the data... They are removing themselves from all responsibility and consequences from their actions.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It's all a question of ownership vs. custody. AT&T claim ownership, while everyone else simply have custody of your data...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
P5-133XL said:
The revised language, appearing under the heading "Legal Obligations/Fraud" and only accessible to AT&T customers, states:
While your account information may be personal to you, these records constitute business records that are owned by AT&T. As such, AT&T may disclose such records to protect its legitimate business interests,

imagine if AT&T decided to get into direct marketing...

You made the only logical and proper choice Mark. I hope other AT&T customers are as intelligent.

ddrueding

Fixture
Unfortunatly, with AT&T's recent merger with PacBell*, it really cuts down on the options available.

Really, PacBell bought AT&T, then assumed the name.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
AT&T's CEO is the pretty much the principle backer of eliminating Net Neutrality, too. He started making noise about it around 18 months ago.