Anyone have a suggestion on a new washing machine?

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
My 15+ year old washing machine died. I took it apart and it appears to be the clutch assembly failed. I doubt that it is worth repairing, so I'm going shopping to see what exists, how much they cost, etc. Hopefully I can find a good black Friday sale on one.

Anyone, want to give me their experiences and recommendations: My primary goal is price and trouble-free longevity for appliances and could not care any less about the gimmicks?

ddrueding

Fixture
If price is a priority and gimicks aren't then this probably won't help you, but I've had my top-of-the-line Samsung units for two years now and they are awesome.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have a couple of whirlpools from mid 80' and if a clutch went on my washer I would seriously consider replacing the part if I could get it for say less than $100.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
We purchased our last washing machine about 3yr ago, and went with a Whirlpool 7.5kg commercial grade**. (We have 2 young kids and that means a lot of washing).

My only recommendation is to avoid ones that use an extensive amount of electronics (our has none, it's all mechanical baby), as a lot of our friends with those new fancy electronic ones with the push buttons have all had problems within 2-4 yrs with the electronics going bad.

Otherwise look for a steel bowl (a lot of smaller ones have a plastic bowl) and has a central agitator. The ones without a central agitator (unless you are going extreme top model) don't wash as well and leave all your clothes looking like they have been trampled by a herd of elephants (and this is from experience of 4 different models from 3 different brands).

If you can afford it Maytag has some excellent ones as well.

** Funny enough ours in made in the US and not China or elsewhere in Asia. Something to consider as well?

PS. This is our one: http://www.whirlpool.com.au/app.cnt/whr/au_AU/pageid/pgproddtl001/catid/3/subcatid/11/prodid/27763

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I have a couple of whirlpools from mid 80' and if a clutch went on my washer I would seriously consider replacing the part if I could get it for say less than $100.

I looked up the price for the clutch assembly it is $189 + shipping. The question becomes $200 + labor for a used 15Y old washing machine vs. a new machine. Lifespans are inherently unknowable, and I really can't complain about a 15Y lifespan for my washing machine.

So how long can I expect a new one to last? Have the appliance manufacturers universally created planned obsolescence with a built-in maximum lifespans so as to sell more units or are there still a few good long lasting brands/machines still competing in the marketplace?

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't think you can expect appliances to last 30 years like they used to. Further complicating matters the higher end appliances may be less reliable due to touch screens, fancier electronics, and the like.

All that said, three years ago when we bought our house we ended up buying fairly high end GE Profile appliances that have 5.7" monochrome LCD touchscreens in them. I wanted a top loading high efficiency washer and there weren't many of them at the time. The washer was a half off after someone canceled their special order. The matching dryer at the store was electric (and half off) so I had to pay a little more to get the gas one.

I'd definitely check out the local Sears Outlet (assuming you have one by you). There are often some pretty darn good deals there.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
They seem to last 8-15 years and who knows what the future reliability of new models will be. I don't prefer the front loading washers. There is also no law that the washer/dryer need to match unless they are in a display portion of your house. :) My washing needs are modest since there are no kids at home and I don't get dirty. ;)

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
There is a retail sears store, but no outlet.

I started researching by visiting Sears, Lowes, and Best Buy. Best Buy had by far the best salesman. Sears had a horrible salesman that didn't listen at all and just seared towards a top-end machine. Lowe's salesman was too busy to give me any attention but by listening to others questions I found that they will price match any internet price (must include shipping cost) or even anyones black Friday price with free delivery and take away.

All of them said to avoid GE with one vote against Frigidare and one vote against Maytag as unreliable brands. Best buy said LG, Bosch, and Samsung are better than average reliability. Sears salesman said Kenmore, LG, and Whirlpool as most reliable. Lowes didn't specify a most reliable.

I'm tempted by the Best buy Whirlpool wtw57esvw List $579, currently $349 and am told that on black Friday it will be advertised at $199 (limited to stock on hand) with a 39.99 delivery and take away charge. Then I go to Lowe's and price match the ad with their free delivery and take away. In addition there is a energy star 25% state tax credit and a $60 rebate from my Electricity provider for that model. So effectively it will cost $199 - 50 - 60 = $89 delivered. Hard to ignore the price unless there is something wrong with the model.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
As long as I can get the BB black Friday advertisement then I don't need to because I'm actually buying at Lowe's via price-matching where it is not on sale and it is not limited to stock on hand...

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
As long as I can get the BB black Friday advertisement then I don't need to because I'm actually buying at Lowe's via price-matching where it is not on sale and it is not limited to stock on hand...
Verify the official price match policy - sometimes price-matching retailers are sticklers for the item being in stock at the advertising store.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I've now read a lot of consumer reviews of the model from various sources.

Most people like it but there is a very vocal anti group. The negatives are based on the following:

The water level sensor - The lid has to be continuously shut or it doesn't work and fills to machine to its max or just shuts everything down!

It doesn't like it if the load size setting does not match the actual load - again the water sensor goes crazy by either filling the entire tub or refusing to add enough water.

It is louder than most.

I can live with the noise, but the water sensor problems may be a deal breaker - poor design. Probably why the price is so inexpensive.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
All of them said to avoid GE with one vote against Frigidare and one vote against Maytag as unreliable brands. Best buy said LG, Bosch, and Samsung are better than average reliability. Sears salesman said Kenmore, LG, and Whirlpool as most reliable.
I find this to be pretty entertaining.

Whirlpool owns Maytag. When I was getting a new washer a few years ago, I found several Whirlpool/Maytag model pairs where the only difference was the style of controls. How can Whirlpool reliable and Maytag unreliable when the machines come off the same manufacturing lines?

Furthurmore, all Kenmores are OEMs. Some of them are Whirlpool and others GE. I'm sure they're rebadging other brands, as well.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I just asked the question of all the salesmen I dealt with and tallied the responses. you can only blame me for reporting the small sample survey.

Whirlpool and Maytag using the same manufacturing lines - I have no idea. Perhaps there is a difference in their design, or the subcontracting of individual parts rather than their manufacturing. I personally didn't take it very seriously because there was only one vote. With everyone agreeing that GE was a problem, I did avoid it.

With Sears, the salesman said that for washing machines, Kenmore were manufactured by whirlpool for their top loaders and LG for their front loaders so at least he was consistent with promoting Kenmore along with Whirlpool and LG as the most reliable.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I find this to be pretty entertaining.

Whirlpool owns Maytag. When I was getting a new washer a few years ago, I found several Whirlpool/Maytag model pairs where the only difference was the style of controls. How can Whirlpool reliable and Maytag unreliable when the machines come off the same manufacturing lines?

Furthurmore, all Kenmores are OEMs. Some of them are Whirlpool and others GE. I'm sure they're rebadging other brands, as well.
Because they are different brands, it is possible they are sold at different price points and use parts of differing quality. It is also possible that the machines are identical, and the marketing Dept. is playing games with pricing and consumer perceptions.

ddrueding

Fixture
Because they are different brands, it is possible they are sold at different price points and use parts of differing quality. It is also possible that the machines are identical, and the marketing Dept. is playing games with pricing and consumer perceptions.
I remember that HP would sell the same item with slightly different model numbers at different types of stores to avoid price matching guarantees. (csi, xi, etc)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Is it too late to suggest that getting married is supposed to end man's involvement with laundry? Because my friends on Fark would be ashamed if someone did not contribute that comment.

ddrueding

Fixture
Is it too late to suggest that getting married is supposed to end man's involvement with laundry? Because my friends on Fark would be ashamed if someone did not contribute that comment.

My involvement with laundry ends with purchasing the hardware and installing it.

ddrueding

Fixture
It is. No self-respecting female will accept in this day and age.

No self-respecting female will accept the assumption that they do it, but some are nice enough to take care of it anyway. I think my wife just fears the damage to her fragile clothes at my laundering technique (put it all in, wash it, if it doesn't survive, I don't need it).

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Me single, so I just do it for there really isn't any choice. I'm not willing to do the Lisa Douglas (from Green Acres) method of washing (throw it out the window and buy new) and disposable paper clothing disappeared in the late 60's.

Handruin

Administrator
I think my wife just fears the damage to her fragile clothes at my laundering technique (put it all in, wash it, if it doesn't survive, I don't need it).

As far as I am aware, there is only one setting to wash the clothing. All those other settings like 'delicate'...I have no idea if it even works. :)

Mercutio

For the most part, if you're needing to use the delicate setting on a washing machine, you're probably way better off hand washing it with Woolite or letting a dry cleaner do it.

For me, everything goes in the machine on the warm water setting. I pay $1 to have my button down shirts dry cleaned 'cause it's worth $20 every month or so to not have to learn to work an iron.

I also don't know how to tie a regular tie. I'm kind of proud of that.

Mercutio

I've had the same black tie tied for 10 or 12 years. I keep it in my car. I've needed to wear it maybe twice since the year 2000.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
As far as I am aware, there is only one setting to wash the clothing. All those other settings like 'delicate'...I have no idea if it even works. :)

What do you mean, one setting? There are many settings for different purposes. I only use about three of them.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have all my work clothes dry cleaned or professionally cleaned. I wear shirts and pants several times between cleaning though.

Handruin

Administrator
What do you mean, one setting? There are many settings for different purposes. I only use about three of them.

I was joking...saying I only wash my clothes on the one regular setting...the rest have never been used.

Mercutio

I have all my work clothes dry cleaned or professionally cleaned. I wear shirts and pants several times between cleaning though.

Shirts, yes. My pants don't wrinkle, though. Which probably means I'm making some kind of faux pas by wearing that kind, but I'm dressed significantly better than every other male adult I see on a daily basis, so I don't really care.