Any Samsung CLP-510 color laser printer issues?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The local BJs has the Samsung CLP-510 for $250 with a $70 rebate good through 12/31. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing it since my HP Deskjet 940C refuses to recognize color cartridges, and therefore won't do anything. HP tech support either refused or didn't know how to tell me to override the cartridge recognition feature. In any case, I've had my fill of inkjets with constant, messy cartridge refilling, water soluble ink, "smart" cartridges, etc. I've decided to purchase a color laser. This Samsung may just fill the bill. Does anyone here own own, or has anyone heard of, any major issues with it? I know it has smart toner cartridges which stop printing at 2000 pages but I found a mod on the Internet which describes how to disable the write enable to the chip on the cartridge, effective disabling that "feature". Toner refills good for many thousands of pages are readily available on eBay so no problem there. Any reason I should stay away from this printer? I heard color print quality is on par with the average inkjet these days, so it should be as good or better than what I was getting from my 940C.

I'm also looking for a cheap, reliable, easily serviceable monochrome laser for printing things like data sheets where color isn't needed. I think there was an older model from HP that Merc was fond of which could be had on eBay for <$100 in decent used condition. Recommendations here would be appreciated as well.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've set up maybe six CLP-510s in the last year and a half. They're less annoying than other small printers. People whine about toner costs, but they do that no matter what.
Duplexing and LAN support are the big two features that make them so worthwhile. The fact that they are not loud is the icing on the cake.

If your mono-printing needs are simple, try finding an old LaserJet 2 or 3 (not a "p" or an "m"...) They just run and run and run. The only negative is that they seem to use a lot of power.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Check out the Samsung ML-2571N, which is only $90 after rebate for a monochrome laser. I know a couple people that have been quite pleased with inexpensive Samsung lasers. You can also get toner refills on eBay for this cheap.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I bought the printer today. It took a few minutes to set up. Print quality is excellent-photos look better than on my Deskjet 940C and text is tack sharp. Best of all no more runny ink every time the page gets a little wet, plus it's no noisier than my inkjet. So long as this new printer proves reliable, I'm satisfied.

Minor issues:

1) There is a funny smell coming from the printer. It's sort of like a burning electronics and plastic kind of smell. I imagine something left over from the factory is evaporating. I've smelled a similar smell on a new battery charger. After running a while it dissipated. I hope that's the case here. For now my window is cranked open.

2) This thing is huge and heavy. I need to find a permanent spot for it.

3) Replacement toner good for about 20,000 pages will run ~$150 on eBay but that's OK. Hopefully I can stretch the starter cartridges for 6 to 12 months of use. After sales tax and rebate the printer is running me $200. For an eventual grand total of ~$350 my printing needs for the next 5 years if not much longer are taken care of.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
All laser printers have a burning type smell, especially if they are in a dusty environment. They have to melt the dry ink in the toner cartridge, correct?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
All laser printers have a burning type smell, especially if they are in a dusty environment. They have to melt the dry ink in the toner cartridge, correct?
They use high temperature to fuse the toner to the paper. I've noticed the smell is less than when I first set it up. I've also found a good spot for it. ;)

I took apart my inkjet just for kicks and soaked the circuit board with the cartridge contacts on it in lacquer thinner followed by alcohol followed by a good rinsing. The printer works-at least so far. Of course, who knows for how long? Flaky cartridge contact is a known problem with this printer. While it isn't 100% essential for it to work now that I have the Samsung it would be nice if it continues to do so. It's still useful for things like draft copies so I can save a bit on toner.