Android 7.0 reviews?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What does everyone think of A7?
Comments, etc?

Today, I tried to setup my gf's phone to use text, and it was not easy using Hangouts.

Nexus 5X may have been the best value ever in a Google Fi phone, for the briefest period of time, ever.

Got one, and it's pretty amazing...

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Nexus 5X may have been the best value ever in a Google Fi phone, for the briefest period of time, ever.

Got one, and it's pretty amazing...

Is the 5X no longer the best value ever "in a Google Fi phone"? A little confused by "for the briefest period of time, ever" part of your sentence?

I'm thinking of doing the same and getting a 5X on the Google Fi plan. I don't have much use for a smart phone but I feel I should join the 21th century sooner or later. $250 is not that high of an entry point.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Is the 5X no longer the best value ever "in a Google Fi phone"? A little confused by "for the briefest period of time, ever" part of your sentence?

I'm thinking of doing the same and getting a 5X on the Google Fi plan. I don't have much use for a smart phone but I feel I should join the 21th century sooner or later. $250 is not that high of an entry point.

You know Greg is always on the cheap? :lol: Maybe there was a black Friday super-low deal.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I run 7.1 (unofficial quark build of CM14.1) on my Turbo and it's slick, stable and speedy. The new layouts (where applicable) make everything more convenient. I use Facebook Messenger to handle my SMS (yes, I know, data mining worse than Google, frankly I'm of the mind that I never had any privacy to begin with so why bother trying to protect what small semblance of it I had?) and it worked flawlessly from the app install.

And the best part? I'm running what's supposed to be an unstable build. It's rock solid, much better than the CM13 nightly it replaced.

Handruin

Administrator
It'll be a while (March 2017) before I see and use Android 7.x (if ever). That's the only reference I read on the possibility of me seeing 7.x on my current phone. I have no idea if this will even happen.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
Nice to be back, and thanks for the kind words.

I was going to buy another 5X to see if I could get my gf into this century with a cell phone.

Google Play only lists the Pixels, then the 5X is back at 200-250 for a little bit, then it's gone.
At the 200-250 price, it's unbeatable, since it runs 7.0, why not 7.1?, and at that price, when the battery and room run out in a year or two, you just buy another phone.

I do wonder if the new, quick charge battery and system is going to fail quicker or slower then the old battery designs.

If 7.1 is out, why does Google list 7.0 as up to date for my phone?????

ddrueding

Fixture
Phones are tested and approved for new versions one at a time. It is very likely that 7.0 is the newest version QA'd for your phone.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Nexus 5X updated to 7.1.1 yesterday.
Don't see any difference from 7.0.
More later.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My phone has been afflicted with Androgen 7. It's definitely worse. The first screen is screwed. I wonder if the developers were on dope?

LunarMist

It was working fine until then, so it would be a rare coincidence if not caused by the Androids. I will let the battery drain as much as possible by Tuesday, then charge it and hope it resets to the 100% level.

LunarMist

It was working fine until then, so it would be a rare coincidence if not caused by the Androids. I will let the battery drain as much as possible by Tuesday, then charge it and hope it resets to the 100% level.

Maybe it is the battery, or at least I hope the phone is not kaput.
According to the T-Mobon, there is no battery so the whole phone has to be replaced.
Although the phone is under warranty I will not necessarily receive a new one, depending on what is available.
Then it has to be reinstated or whatever they have to do to make that the replacement.
I really don't want to have to work with our IT and install all the damned software again.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I recall in the past, sometimes when an android got a software update, the battery needed some time to re-calibrate before being accurate again. Maybe that is what you're running into?

LunarMist

It was down to 34%. Maybe I can let it die completely.
Meanwhile I ordered a third party battery, but it ships from China and arrival is 2-4 weeks.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It was down to 34%. Maybe I can let it die completely.
Meanwhile I ordered a third party battery, but it ships from China and arrival is 2-4 weeks.

Letting a LiIon battery drain completely will not fix anything AFAIK. They do not have memory like NiMH or NiCd batteries.

Handruin

Administrator
It's true they don't have a memory but I've heard that battery software management may need to be recalibrated by going through power cycles.

LunarMist

Typically it is in the controller chip with the battery.

LunarMist

I was able to obtain an external charger and charge to 100%.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Perhaps coincidentally, but since a recent security update I am not able to wirelessly charge my phone. They recognize each other but the phone continues to discharge. The USB cable will works fine.

LunarMist

My phone is still at 100% after a few hours of use, so perhaps the calibration is off in the opposite direction.

LunarMist

I received a generic Chinese battery which behaves about the same as the OEM battery.
Both are charged a bit more by the Samsung USB charger than in the phone, but both are working fine and read 100% when charged and discharged in the phone alone.
I'll probably put the OEM Samsung battery in a fridge and use the generic one for as long as it lasts.
I still think it was not a coincidence that the charging level was incorrect right after the OS update, but it doesn't matter now.