Acer to buy Gateway

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Several people in my office bought $330 Acer Slugmachines when they were on sale at Circuit City a couple weeks ago.

They are everything you'd expect in a $330 laptop. Celeron CPU, 512MB RAM, 4200rpm hard disk, Vista and hardware that will not function in XP (specifically the sound).

I don't have anything particularly good to say about them, but nothing particularly bad, either.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm familiar with the sound issues getting a Vista machine to run XP. I haven't run across one I couldn't make work eventually. Usually involving MS' UAA driver and a driver from some other laptop.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I have found Acer desktop motherboards to be pretty solid and very reliable. I have 4 of them in service (friends/relatives) with AthlonXP 1800+ - 2400+'s running in relatively harsh environments (i.e. lots of pet hair and dust). No failures or problems.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
We have had Acer desktops (Veritons) at work for about 8 years, through three iterations–P!!!-800, P4 1.6, Pentium D 820. Rock solid (25 000+ units). Dell briefly won the tender during the 1.6 -> 820 transition, but the failure rate in service was so high, the contract was negated and we went back to Acer.