4G of RAM under Windows XP; boot.ini's "/3G" switch

hacksaw

What is this storage?
My brother-in-law bought 4GB for his old Windows XP laptop and asked me to install it for him (pair of 2GB modules - one was easy to install, the other was under the keyboard and was a pain in the neck to access ... hence him asking me to do it). After installation, on powerup I immediately checked the BIOS settings and noted that all 4GB were detected, and then booted from CD to run memtest86+ and there were no errors. Second boot was into Windows XP, and it was rock solid. No sign of trouble. Then I added the "/3G" switch to the relevant entry in boot.ini and restarted. Third boot was insane. The system was sluggish, applications would start up and hang, etc. A normal restart seemed to go fine, but on the fourth boot chkdsk fired up! Yikes. After that it was back to applications hanging and general system instability.

So I booted the thing up in safe mode and removed the "/3G" switch. Restart. Now the thing is rock solid again. What gives?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Suggestion: Install XP Pro x64 or server 2003 instead and get native 4GB support no switches or anything. Sure it will be an additional cost though.
I'm running XP x64 and have no real problems. You probably want to make sure you have drivers for all the hardware on the laptop first though.

Also you should know that with 4GB of ram, his laptop won't hibernate anymore. I didn't know this. Some crazy MS restriction.

hacksaw

What is this storage?
Thanks for the link to that article, blakerwry. It's the first one that's done a half-way decent job on explaining how Windows handles 4GB of RAM. As for XP 64, I don't have it. Besides, it's not a 64-bit system, and I assume that's a requirement for XP 64, no?.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have a XP Pro 32-bit system with 4GB of RAM. XP doesn't use all of only 3.5GB, but I don't care. Everything I read said to avoid using the /3G switch.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
You can use the /3G switch, and it is usable, *provided* all the applications that will run on the box are *aware* of the /3G switch. The software has to be compiled for it especially. If it isn't /3G aware, I suggest Ibuprofen+codeine.