400GB drives in RAID 0, 5 & 10

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Me too. Is anyone else already thinking about replacing their 1TB drives with 1.5TB drives? ;)

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I like 1.5TB drives for their ability to drive the price of .75-1.0TB drives lower. In general, I rarely need to have the absolutely largest drives availiable and can compensate by buying more of the more cost effective smaller drives.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm the poor church mouse of the bunch :)

I run 2 x 250GB Hitachi SATAs. I have 2 x 320GB Samsung SATAs that are a year old and still in the box. :eek4:

Woe unto me.

I plan to buy a DSLR in the next 6 months (waiting for the D90 reviews; it'll be that or the D300). I'll probably have to jack up my storage after that.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
At the moment I own nine 1TB drives and 12 750GB drives. Most of the 1TB units haven't entered service yet, but they will the next time I get a free day on a weekend (I will probably also own more 1TB units by then). Capacity is still the only thing I'm interested in.

I really should invest in a couple 8 port RAID controllers but they're rather difficult to justify given that I don't really have any performance needs at home; the modest number of ports on motherboards and PCI disk controllers are very often more valuable to me than any one drive. If I had a couple "big" RAID cards I could actually drop down to just two file servers rather than four, though.

Oddly enough, I'm still finding that I need IDE drives because my SATA ports are being used by high capacity drives and I need something small to boot my OS and run a DVD burner.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm the poor church mouse of the bunch :)

I run 2 x 250GB Hitachi SATAs. I have 2 x 320GB Samsung SATAs that are a year old and still in the box. :eek4:

Woe unto me.

I plan to buy a DSLR in the next 6 months (waiting for the D90 reviews; it'll be that or the D300). I'll probably have to jack up my storage after that.

Maybe not. My largest drive is a 160GB USB drive. Everything else is between 36GB and 120GB.

Bozo :joker:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm actually accumulating quanties of small drives because modern MB's have only one PATA socket, rather than two, and there seems to be a consistant resource conflict between SATA controllers and the old promise controllers so it gets difficult to use the tons of small HD's and controllers I have.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Modern Promise SATA controllers aren't any better. I have a 4-port PCI controller that I can't get to work on anything newer than an nForce2 or Intel i915, under Windows or Linux. At least the crappy $20 SiL controllers work when you tell them to.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Modern Promise SATA controllers aren't any better. I have a 4-port PCI controller that I can't get to work on anything newer than an nForce2 or Intel i915, under Windows or Linux. At least the crappy $20 SiL controllers work when you tell them to.
Just an observation, if you disable some of the SATA ports the resource conflict goes away and the Promise controllers work but then you lose all those SATA drives so in the end you don't gain anything ...

P.S. I've tried all the Promise controller from the Ultra33 all the way to the Ultra133's and it does not matter old or new ...