3D Printers

ddrueding

Fixture
I did a 3D Scanner thread a while ago that touched on printing, but they really are different things.

I'm considering a Rostock MAX v2 3D printer. Most kinds of plastic are supported (ABS requires the printer bed to be heated to maintain directional accuracy) and the print size is appreciable (11" diameter and 14.5" high) for a $1k price point.

Anyone else play with these things?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm probably less than a year away from getting one of these. I'm waiting for them to drop in price a bit more, increase in resolution, and have the ability to print in at least a few colors. All three of those should happen within a year I think based on current progress. IMO 3D printing for the masses is going to be one of those game-changing technologies.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I can barely hold one 500/4 and 1D-X in my condition. Trying to handle a rig with two cameras and lenses precisely aligned would be a monster.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Indeed. Which is why this thing is fully automated. Load up the file and walk away.

So it will go forth and take my photos, too? :lol:
I noticed that 20 hours of labor are needed for printer assembly. :doh: I wonder if that estimate is for first timers or not. Either way it is more than the cost of the printer if one's time is valuable.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a Makerbot Replicator sitting in one of my off-site classrooms. I'm supposed to figure out how to work it so I can teach other people, but so far I haven't even taken it out of the box yet.

ddrueding

Fixture
I noticed that 20 hours of labor are needed for printer assembly. :doh: I wonder if that estimate is for first timers or not. Either way it is more than the cost of the printer if one's time is valuable.

That can't be right. I glanced through the manual, and I'm thinking 4-6 hours is way more likely if you have the tools available and plenty of space.

Pretty neat stuff. I'm more interested in printing metal.

I am way more interested in printing metal, but this way I can prototype quickly before having someone else print from metal.

ddrueding

Fixture
Looking at having them assemble it for me. They've quoted an acceptable price for assembly, but have left the packaging/shipping to me (apparently they don't want to deal with it). Looking for options local to them (65695 US Highway 33, Goshen, IN, 46526).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Looking at having them assemble it for me. They've quoted an acceptable price for assembly, but have left the packaging/shipping to me (apparently they don't want to deal with it). Looking for options local to them (65695 US Highway 33, Goshen, IN, 46526).

Goshen is ~85 miles away. The fact that it's ~85 miles away is the reason I have an occasional semi-roommate/houseguest/large number of hair ties in my shower, since that's where she nominally resides.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Do you have a Microcenter store near by?

Now that these things are available in B&M retail stores the price should start to drop relatively soon.