10-bit Video

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Which video card would be good for 10-bit output? I was reading something about the internal graphics not being that and people buy the Quattro video, but I'm a bit clueless.
I don't want a huge flamethrower of a card for the 3rd dimensions, but one that will operate at reasonably low power (quiet) and not too bulky to fit in the case. Thanks.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The GeForce 1030 that should be available mid-May for less than 80U$ should do what you want. If you prefer a Quadro, then the Quadro P400, P600 or P1000 all have the features you want. The GeForce 1030 will only consumes 30W, while the P400, P600 and P1000 consume 30W, 40W and 47W.

LunarMist

The GeForce 1030 that should be available mid-May for less than 80U$ should do what you want. If you prefer a Quadro, then the Quadro P400, P600 or P1000 all have the features you want. The GeForce 1030 will only consumes 30W, while the P400, P600 and P1000 consume 30W, 40W and 47W.

Thanks so much. The P1000 seems reasonably priced and I assume it's not consuming 47W until there is a load.
Here is the video card that Dave would use. :rofl:

Handruin

Administrator
My older GTX 980 supports output color depth of 10bpc and YCbCr444 (or RGB) so I'm guessing as long as you use the proper cabling like a DP cable and have a 10bpc capable monitor you should see options like this. The GPU Coug mentioned sounds like a nice option for the money.

10bpc.jpg

LunarMist

My older GTX 980 supports output color depth of 10bpc and YCbCr444 (or RGB) so I'm guessing as long as you use the proper cabling like a DP cable and have a 10bpc capable monitor you should see options like this. The GPU Coug mentioned sounds like a nice option for the money.

View attachment 1216

Dare I ask what you are using for the 4K, 10-bit display?
I'm not using W10 and rental software so it's not really an option, not to mention the >$5K prices.

Stereodude

Not really a
Most of the newer AMD and Nvidia cards can output 10 or 12 bit color in the right situation. However, at least for video playback you can't get 10-bit output in a window. I was under the impression higher than 8-bit (per color) output was limited to 3D and certainly full screen DirectX11 video modes, but I could be wrong as I haven't looked into it extensively. I have it working for video playback on my HTPC and haven't gone further than that.

Edit: My point in case it's not clear is that the card can be set to output 10 or 12 bit and it does, but the extra data is all 0's. Windows doesn't render most content to more than 8-bits. AFAIK, there are only a few select circumstances where Windows will render with greater than 8-bit (per color) precision.

Last edited:

LunarMist

Thanks. I would not allow the videos on the computer.
It's amazing how cheap the consumer video displays like the LG are.
I don't know why the photo monitors are 4x.

Handruin

Administrator
I thought it was a reasonable compromise for the quality and color accuracy I want and I'm willing to spend for versus some of the monitors geared for pro photo and cinema professions costing 4x or more. I don't really do anything that needs that level of accuracy so this works more than well enough for my needs.