Windows 10 boot loop

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Lenovo Thinkpad, 2-3 years old. Displays Lenovo logo at startup but doesn't get any further.

Changed Boot Type in BIOS setup from Quick to Diagnostic, now displays Windows logo and rotating circle, then reboots - ad infinitum.

I'm on the other side of the world from this, so it's kinda hard to work out what to do next. Has anyone seen this problem?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Sounds like a BSOD boot loop? (Had a few in the early days on Win8). Are you able to start windows in safe mode to at least run some diagnostics?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Good point about the hidden BSOD. I was really tired when I was trying to deal with it.

According to the user, pressing F8 doesn't seem to get anywhere, so no, can't get to Safe Mode. Bear in mind that the F keys are dual-function on this laptop, and the default is the alternative operation (stupid design decision from Lenovo). I think the user has tried with and without the Fn modifier key, but it's getting a little hairy.

The place is pretty much in lockdown, but I've asked her to drop it off at a shop (you can't go in) so someone else can check all of this.

Could be a peripheral hardware failure, maybe key parts of Windows got scrambled on the SSD, or it might be due to a Windows Update. The world is ridiculous.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
IIRC, F8 is disabled by default on Win10, you need to actually enable the function via GPO / registry! You can force win10 to give you safe mode via:

1. Boot, and when you first see the spinning dots, press and hold the power button to force shutdown.
2. Repeat step 1, 3-4 more times.
3. The win10 boot loader should recognise a hard boot failure and should boot you into it's recovery mode, and you can get more access to recovery/repair options.

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-working/f9bd2622-f836-4af0-9d82-8dbfe45480e3