HOT

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
@jtr1962 I'd expect that A/C outages during peak summer seasons would be similar to how our area would need to deal with loss of heat or electricity in the winter.
The difference is that you can always put on more clothing to deal with the cold. We had no power after Sandy for 4 days. Temps outside were in the 30s. I kept a pot of water boiling on the gas stove. That was good enough to keep us in the high 50s/low 60s indoors. With an extra layer of clothing, it was tolerable.

I remember as a kid going to school when the heat was out, even on days it was in the teens. The kids all just kept their coats on. On the other hand, with high temperatures there's very little you can do. Once all your clothing is removed, that's as good as it gets. As you noticed today, sweating has no cooling effect whatsoever when the humidity is high. In fact, the sweat makes you even more uncomfortable.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
1. Yeah, that's warm alright. :(
2. I *think* Midea was the brand of portable A/C we had a few years ago. It wasn't too bad as that type of unit goes.
3. Do you get your A/C serviced every year, i.e. pressure checked, fins cleaned? Compressor could be good for a while yet if it's still reasonably smooth - fingers crossed.
4. What is the appeal of living where you do again? :)
a1) Yep but expected. As is the "it's getting hot now" convo you have with random people when you have to make small talk.
a2) Good to know. Not stuck on that brand particularly just thought the A/C split by window as interesting.
a3) Yes. I've also turn air up from 75 to 82 during the day to reduce stress on my unit.
a4) Sometimes not much. Can't always choose where you live. Taking care of mom who's losing it mentally so I can't go anywhere else anytime soon. No snow and little rain to deal with is something at least. And when it does rain it's an event and interesting.

I would go berserk seeing 110+ days in May. Heck, I'd go berserk seeing them any time of year. 80s is already very uncomfortable, 90s is borderline intolerable. Anything higher is life-threatening. What do you do in a place like Arizona if the power goes out? Seriously, you can literally die from the extreme heat.
Yeah 110+ is crazy but you just don't go outside so you are fine. Not working or traveling out of your house is painful. When I park the car I not only put the reflectix window shade in the window I drape a white towel over steering wheel to ensure it's not 195F when I get in car. I also have a small hand towel that I soak from a water bottle and whip down to help cool any plastic/metal parts on dash, door, seat belt buckle, shifter, etc. A/C can cool car faster is there are not a bunch of 195F surfaces. OCD maybe but I think it helps.

I think we've lost power for a total of 3 hours the last 15 years I've lived here. Maybe one hour for every 50,000 lived. Not too common. And unless the outage was many multiple hours in the summer I'd be OK.
I can see the appeal of living out in AZ. Lot of great scenery/parks and depending on where you might live, somewhat affordable housing. The heat is a killer though. @jtr1962 I'd expect that A/C outages during peak summer seasons would be similar to how our area would need to deal with loss of heat or electricity in the winter.

Yeah Humidity sucks. Not a whole lot here but the monsoon season can get humid. Crazy being in a sudden downpour and being hot and sticky in 95F rainy temps.

Housing is not too bad outside the major cities. Interesting note: AZ is the fifth on the list of states with cities over 100k population. I would have never guessed that. AZ isn't all dessert. Phoenix isn't right next to large national parks but it is centrally located next those in AZ, Utah, CA, etc. I do wish I lived a bit further north or a bit higher in elevation so it would get cooler at night.

And of course Day 3:
Day-3.JPG

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
^^^ Probably worse as the humidity was probably above 15% at the time.

Temps for my early A.M. walk:
2020_07_11-946f.jpg

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Highest temp ever recorded on this digital clock w/indoor and outdoor temp sensors. The wireless sensor is placed on the back/south side of the house. Always in full shade under a patio cover 5.5' off the ground, with the patio cover another 3.5' above the sensor.
2020_07_11-1202f.jpg

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Highest temp ever recorded on this digital clock w/indoor and outdoor temp sensors. The wireless sensor is placed on the back/south side of the house. Always in full shade under a patio cover 5.5' off the ground, with the patio cover another 3.5' above the sensor.
View attachment 1500
That's downright icy compared to the 128°F recorded in Death Valley.

After sparing us so far it looks like the Northeast is getting hit by heat also this week. Not quite 120, but mid 90s and high humidity, which likely feels like 110. Totally disgusting outside.

Handruin

Administrator
Wow that's an insane high temp. Your indoor temps are even pretty high. I usually keep it around 72F indoors here with the A/C on.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Wow that's an insane high temp. Your indoor temps are even pretty high. I usually keep it around 72F indoors here with the A/C on.
Normally I'd set the indoor temp to 75F during the day and 72-72F at night. And I wish I could set it that low now, but with my central A/C pushing 17 years old I got paranoid this summer and bumped the temps to 82F day and 78F night. The clock/indoor sensor hit 84F because it's in a different room than the central A/C thermostat.

I believe the temps are probably reading a bit high 5F or 6F due to the sensor being under a patio roof and some heat being trapped. When I briefly open the back door it feels like the oven door being opened. The mind does flip from "hot outside" to "oven door open" once you go above 110.
Holy crap! I find 90s incredibly uncomfortable. I don't even want to think about how temps like that would feel.
It did cool off to mid 90s during the early A.M. when I woke up for my daily walk. (sorry: pic a bit blurry)
2020_07_31-967f.jpg

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Lots of fires in Western U.S.: https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org/fire

From family in the San Francisco Bay area, the daytime skies are colored orange. E.g., on the University of California (Berkeley) campus:

1599748651647.png

Since POTUS' main duty is to try to ensure his own re-election, and the effected states didn't vote for him, he is ignoring this major disaster.

PS: I hope any of our members in the area are safe and sound, such as ddrueding.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
I hope they can stay safe also. That looks really bad. Is this the fire that was started by a gender reveal party that lit off a firework?

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
That party was in San Bernardino in SoCal. But there are a number of different fires in the SF Bay area that are contributing to the orange-sky effect.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
That's apocalyptic! I half expect to see giant spaceships in the background to round out the whole effect.

Not surprised about Trump, either. He's running NY into the ground as well withholding help for mass transit and other things.

fb

Storage is cool
IMG_20201106_072517179.jpg
+10C here this morning, perhaps not in the "HOT" classification, but about the same temperature as a decent summer morning.