NVIDIA Launches Fermi Based GeForce GT 610, GT 620, GT 630 Into Retail

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
While I am not fully certain that this represents any real contrition on Chewy's part, I am willing to provisionally withdraw my call for punitive moderation. Of course, I cannot be held responsible if any of my more zealous followers undertake violent actions against Chewy, his family or various chattels.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
As a mentor to these mentals, you have a certain level of responsability regarding their radical acts.

I'm glad Chewy posted the news. I would have thought that Nvidia would release new generation budget cards, not rebadged previous generation cards. Considering the manufacturing problems they have with Kepler, it's not that much of a surprise though. They did it before too (8800GT -> 9800GT -> 250GTS). It's always disapointing when they do, especially when the previous generation card wasn't all that good (like the GeFarce 440GT).

Handruin

Administrator
On what grounds? :scratch: Because I said we all want the Quadro 6000 or the GTX680? :-D

Apologies, will retract that comment then... Change it to:

;-)

At least I didn't say:

:p

PS. Congrats on the 16K posts!

You had it right the first time, we do not all want AMD graphics cards.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
While I am not fully certain that this represents any real contrition on Chewy's part, I am willing to provisionally withdraw my call for punitive moderation. Of course, I cannot be held responsible if any of my more zealous followers undertake violent actions against Chewy, his family or various chattels.

What s the issue with the new Nvidia cards? Maybe they aren't thrilling, but nothing to get bent out of shape over.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
On the day when I decide who lives and who dies, the rivers will be awash in the blood of the unrighteous and the earth thereupon shall be sown with salt, that nothing might arise from the the fetid carcass of depravity.

Note to zealous followers: Purchase salt. Also, plows.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
On the day when I decide who lives and who dies, the rivers will be awash in the blood of the unrighteous and the earth thereupon shall be sown with salt, that nothing might arise from the the fetid carcass of depravity.

Note to zealous followers: Purchase salt. Also, plows.

Damn. You need to get laid more and be less biblically scary. :erm:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi Coug,
The other point with Kepler, is that it drops the FP64 performance dramatically against Fermi. Which means we won't see decent GPGPU performance if FP64 is needed, and Kepler won't be seen in a Quadro based card (which is one of the nice things about the Quadro 6000 (besides the 6GB of RAM), is the FP64 enabled CUDA cores is increased over the GeForce based GPUs).

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/2

Re: GT440, don't you mean the GT630?

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Apparently, it is a good thing those "new" cards are based on the older design since (this will make some random guy in Indiana happy) a problem with Kepler cause them to lose performance after heavy usage. Kepler looks like the design that will sink Nvidia.

Well after cocking up the G84, G86 and G92 (and others?), this is hardly new ground for nvidia. Given how much kicking and screaming and denial we got from them last time around, I doubt any voluntary recall will occur.

The Kepler range may be like the IBM Deathstar. Only use for a max of 8 hours per day. 24*7 functionality should not be expected.