Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sous Vide cooking Great stuff

I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    I can't imagine trying to accurately control the temperature of the water bath without one. I mean I'm sure someone could Arduino something up with closed loop control, but any sort of open loop double boiler or something would seem extremely difficult to achieve and hold the desired temperature.

I used my Monoprice Sous Vide tonight for the first time in several months. My steak (beef tenderloin) was absolutely delicious.
    In olden times of the 1970s we had analog controllers. Achieving 0.5C is not a problem if there is sufficient heater control and thermal transfer to the water bath.
    I assume that there are plenty of relatively inexpensive cookers that are good enough for the intended purpose. I doubt that cooking the dead meats is so demanding.
    --Lunar

Not really a Fixture
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMist View Post
    In olden times of the 1970s we had analog controllers. Achieving 0.5C is not a problem if there is sufficient heater control and thermal transfer to the water bath.
    And I'm sure they were closed loop.

I doubt that cooking the dead meats is so demanding.
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.

The water baths were open to the atmospheric pressure, so it was not a closed system. I don't think they were using plastic balls yet though.

I simply don't believe that professional chefs for hundreds of years controlled temperatures to fractions of degrees.
    --Lunar

Not really a Fixture
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMist View Post
    The water baths were open to the atmospheric pressure, so it was not a closed system. I don't think they were using plastic balls yet though.
    So apparently we've discovered that you don't know what a closed loop control system is. I guess they didn't teach that in film school.

It doesn't mean the container is closed. It means there is feedback into the system based on the current condition and that it take action accordingly to that feedback. An open loop system has no feedback. A thermostat in your house or your oven is an example of a closed loop temperature control system. The burners on your stove are an open loop control system.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    So apparently we've discovered that you don't know what a closed loop control system is. I guess they didn't teach that in film school.

It doesn't mean the container is closed. It means there is feedback into the system based on the current condition and that it take action accordingly to that feedback. An open loop system has no feedback. A thermostat in your house or your oven is an example of a closed loop temperature control system. The burners on your stove are an open loop control system.
    Well, of course there should be some feedback from a sensor in the heated mass (water) to control the heating source.
    Back in the day I used a Ge probe, some op amps, and a timer to generate PWM that controlled a triac, or something like that. It was a long, long time ago, so I probably forgot some details.
    --Lunar

Not really a Fixture
    FWIW, Monoprice has their Sous Vide on sale today for $43.99 with free shipping. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21594

Thread Information