Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: LED flashlights

So based on a days use of the HC90: http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hc90

- Impressive amount of light, with a wide angle. Tint is a little on the cool side. Can't see much of a bump from 900 lumen turbo mode compared to high setting of 530. Generally just keep it at high or lower.
    - Rock solid build quality. It's like a nugget of solid aluminium.
    - Very good heatsinking.
    - Can be used without top strap unless you are running/jogging.
    - Easy to access all RGB light modes and infinitely variable white via slider switch, which can be easily operated with gloves on and one hand. The plastic slider is actually driving an internal switch mechanism via a magnet, so dirt can be washed out without affecting anything. Prob not the best option if you are regularly on the beach tho.
    - 18650 battery can be charged in the headlamp via micro usb (personally I prefer faster charging at 1-2 Amps in an external charger) but could be handy for a trip where I don't want to take a battery charger with me.
    - Easy quarter turn lockout of the light.

Downsides:

- Need two hands to screw in end cap when using longer protected batteries due to spring tension. Non protected can be changed with one hand.
    - High price.

I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBastard View Post
    So based on a days use of the HC90: http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hc90

- Impressive amount of light, with a wide angle. Tint is a little on the cool side. Can't see much of a bump from 900 lumen turbo mode compared to high setting of 530. Generally just keep it at high or lower.
    - Rock solid build quality. It's like a nugget of solid aluminium.
    - Very good heatsinking.
    - Can be used without top strap unless you are running/jogging.
    - Easy to access all RGB light modes and infinitely variable white via slider switch, which can be easily operated with gloves on and one hand. The plastic slider is actually driving an internal switch mechanism via a magnet, so dirt can be washed out without affecting anything. Prob not the best option if you are regularly on the beach tho.
    - 18650 battery can be charged in the headlamp via micro usb (personally I prefer faster charging at 1-2 Amps in an external charger) but could be handy for a trip where I don't want to take a battery charger with me.
    - Easy quarter turn lockout of the light.

Downsides:

- Need two hands to screw in end cap when using longer protected batteries due to spring tension. Non protected can be changed with one hand.
    - High price.
    I thought about that headlamp, but was turned off by the top strap as I find in similar headlamps they interfere with various hats. I didn't know they were removable. 180g is a bit much for me. I wish they would put XP-L LEDs in headlamps to give a bit more throw.

I'm waiting for the NU30 reviews to see if that is enough.
    --Lunar

Is there anything new in compact 18650 flashlights this year? I'm currently using the MH20GT as the primary light.
    I will be off the grid in December and some of that is in the cabins.
    --Lunar

Your link once again goes to nowhere.

Wannabe Storage Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    Your link once again goes to nowhere.
    My theory is that Lunar has the page he wants to link to open in another tab, clicks the "link" icon while entering a message but simply does not copy the link into the link box?!? That, or the CIA/NSA firewall doesn't allow linking?
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

- Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

This "intra-linking" deal only happens at SR, so I don't know why.

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION/MH/MH20GT/
    --Lunar

Belinda and I are getting rather lost. We both want head torches. (Known as "headlamps" in the America. In English-speaking countries, "headlamps" are the things on the front of cars for driving at night with.)

Mine is for camping.

(a) general camp tasks - preparing meals, putting up tents, and so on.
    (b) reading

Belinda's is for when the power goes off (which happens far too often in her country location). It is for reading in bed with (what else can you do after dark with no electricity?) and for various other household tasks such as cooking. So, probably, the same one will suit both of us.

We have both standardised all our electronic gadgets to use AA batteries and won't consider any other type. I understand that good quality head torches are so efficient these days that a single AA is sufficient, though a twin AA unit would be fine if it's better. I always have spare charged AAs on hand as I use them for flash photography, radio, hand torches and lanterns, wireless trackball and keyboard, you name it. She does much the same.

We have no requirement for narrow, powerful, long-distance beams, nor do we cycle or jog.

Comfort is important.

Simplicity of operation is fairly important, and it would be nice to have either the ability to select different brightness levels or different beam widths or both, though this is not a priority. A switch that you can easily find by feel in complete darkness is always useful.

Colour matters to Belinda - she dislikes blue-tinged lights and much prefers a softer, warmer white. I don't much mind either way.

Price? We aren't going to go silly. Up to now we have been getting along with cheap commodity AAA-based units worth less than US$10. They are fiddly and awkward to use, have annoying uneven beams, and chew through those tiddly little AAAs way faster than I like. I guess we are happy enough spending around US$50 or so each, perhaps a little more.

I've been looking at Zebralights, then at a zillion alternatives, and the more different ones I look at the more confused I get!
    It's only crap after it fails. Until then it is the performance deal of the moment. - Dave

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    http://www.skilhunt.com/product-deta...-led-headlamp/

They have a neutral white version. Don't pay $50 for one though.

I've liked every petzl I've had.

Thread Information