Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Audio Equipment

Storage is cool
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBastard View Post
    Has anyone claimed that MQA is lossless? It's clearly applying compression when compared to a 24 bit / 96kHz encoding. Seems more like a potential option if you are in a bandwidth limited scenario.

Anyway didn't want to create the impression that MQA is some kind of miracle, the reference was more to give an indication of battery life of the Mojo when playing 96kHz content. I'm getting longer life playing back standard 44 kHz audio.
    Sorry, it wasn't my intention to attack you or make this a holy war. Your post was actually the first time I've ever heard about MQA so I tried to get some understanding in what it is, and why. And when I tried to inform myself I saw some mixed opinions. And the word "lossless" appears in many places around the internet. Here's even an article where the MQA people explained that it isn't lossless, but that it's in fact better than lossless (if I understood everything correctly) http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...wDB1L5Syd8f.97

Today I actually downloaded 192KHz/24bit, 44.1KHz/24 bit and MQA tracks from here: http://www.2l.no/hires/ and played on my none MQA stereo. I couldn't hear any huge differences. The conditions wasn't optimal, so I hope I'll get around to placing my speakers correctly and get a chance to be home alone and take a listening session. The technical reasoning is one thing, but what matters is how it sounds.

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Better than lossless... Maybe if they're using 16/44.1 as their lossless baseline. A lossy compressed format could yield higher fidelity if it accepted and decoded more than 16-bits. As to whether it would be sonically better is another question. It would depend on whether the extra resolution was audible vs. the audibility of the compression.

However, I'm realistic. 16/44.1 is ample for audio reproduction. "Hi-res" is a pointless gimmick. If you really wanted to hedge your bets against corner cases 18/44.1 would do the trick. Better mixing & mastering and the death of the Loudness Wars would be a far more tangible and impactful improvement than capturing what can't be heard with high sampling rates or driving up the bit depth for dynamic range that can't be realized.

Storage is cool
    It's difficult to recreate what's not there, that's the first rule in my religion.

But I agree that it would make a bigger difference if we could get rid of loudness war, radio channels that didn't use smiley face EQ-curves and so on, rather than of we miss a couple of bits of the music.

Got some Yamaha NS-IC800 in ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS-X height channels. Need to build a little support so they can be nestled between the floor joists on the ceiling.

Thread Information