Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Audio Equipment

Can you elaborate on "deadening the room too much"? I don't know a lot about this stuff, and my assumption was that I want the sound coming from my speakers.
    Work1: i7-8086@5.3Ghz, 32GB, 512GB 970 Pro, 2080ti
    Home1: i7-8700K@5.1Ghz, 64GB, 512GB 960 Pro, 1080ti
    Home2: i9-7900X@4.5Ghz, 64GB, 512GB 960 Pro, 1080ti

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by ddrueding View Post
    Can you elaborate on "deadening the room too much"? I don't know a lot about this stuff, and my assumption was that I want the sound coming from my speakers.
    Not exactly. You want the sound to only come directly from your speakers. However, you don't want to make your room an anechoic chamber. For 2 channel music you don't want a totally dead room with no acoustic reflections. It perceptually won't sound right even if the speakers measure very well in it (for frequency response). If you've ever been to a concert hall or room designed for live audio production with minimal amplification you probably noted the room isn't dead (acoustically). There is some life to the room, it has some natural echoes & reverb. You pretty much only want to eliminate the first reflection points in a 2 channel room, but not more than that. So on the some of the wall behind the speakers, limited areas on the side walls (only first reflection points), first reflection points on the ceiling, and first reflection points on the back wall. The ceiling and rear wall may benefit from diffusion instead of absorption. Other indirect acoustic reflections that bounce around the room and eventually make it to your room aren't bad. They're what give the room ambience.

Every room is different. You could make a great 2 channel room that doesn't need treatment. It would just have to be a rather large room without parallel walls with a tall ceiling (2 stories or more) ideally not parallel to the floor with the speakers something like 8-10' from any wall. Then you'd sit near the center of the room which would place you closer to the speakers than any of the walls and you'd have a good start. A typical room isn't like that. They're much smaller. They have parallel surfaces. The speakers end up close to the walls. In a typical room if you have tile or hardwood floors the amount of absorption necessary is more than if you have carpet. The furniture in the room makes a difference too. A big plush fabric couch will absorb sound and not reflect it. Wood furniture does the opposite. There are general guidelines, not hard absolute rules.

You can do the clap test. In a totally reflective room like a typical bathroom with lots of hard surfaces if you clap your hands once you'll hear the room ring as the sound slowly dies out. If you clap your hands outside in an large open grassy area the clap sounds totally different to the bathroom. You will hear only the initial clap and no ringing or reflections. You want your listening room to be somewhere in between. There's a measurement for how lively/dead a room is. It's RT60. You measure the time for sound to decay to 60dB.

For Home Theater the liveliness of the room doesn't matter as much because much of the "ambience" of the audio content comes from the extra surround speakers. Overdeadening a room for HT use is likely to be less objectionable than under doing it. Still, it's best not to overdeaden a room for HT use.

Thanks for the info!

I'm in the process of redoing my new office at home (changed rooms) and I was looking to revisit my audio config. I've been using the Emotiva Airmotiv 4s that I bought from DD several years back and they still work great. I was thinking of upgrading them to something else but I haven't yet decided what I want to do yet. I was considering the Adam AX8 or the Emotiva Stealth 8. I know that both of these have been used by SD and DD for some time now and I was wondering if either of you would still recommend them after extensive use or are their other powered monitors I should be considering for desk use? This will be 100% connected to my PC.

In addition to that I'd like to find a way to drive these with a smaller processor than my Marantz AV7005 which takes up significant desk space. I realize the word "drive" is not exactly correct because each of those monitors are self-amplified. I'd like something with a convenient volume adjustment and small-ish amount of desk space. I'm just not familiar enough with the combination of a DAC/processor that is commonly used with this type of monitor speaker. Would something like the Emotiva MC-700 make sense or maybe something like the Bel Canto DAC 2.7? This would also get me processing for my 15" sub.

Actually never mind on the Bel Canto. I didn't find the pricing until after I posted.

What do you mean by "desk use"? How close are you planning to sit to them? I wouldn't want to sit close to the Emotiva Stealth 8 if they haven't improved the amp from what's in my pair. They have an audible hiss that would be much more apparent if I were sitting closer.

Are you planning to run a 2.1 system or no subwoofer? If no sub I'd recommend a USB DAC headphone / pre-amp product like the Grace M9XX/M900. You mention a sub which makes things more complicated.

The desk use comment would mean they're sitting on a desk in front of me. I remember now that you mentioning the audible hiss back in your original assessment so if that hasn't been addressed it would be an issue for me as well.

I'm on the fence with the 2.0 vs 2.1 because of similar complications you've mentioned. There seems to be a sincere lack of 2.1 DAC/processors on the market for a reasonably affordable price which is why I had been using my AV7005 pre/pro for this task. The Marantz is bulky and takes up a lot of space which is why I'm looking into other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    I'm on the fence with the 2.0 vs 2.1 because of similar complications you've mentioned. There seems to be a sincere lack of 2.1 DAC/processors on the market for a reasonably affordable price which is why I had been using my AV7005 pre/pro for this task. The Marantz is bulky and takes up a lot of space which is why I'm looking into other options.
    Why does it need to be on the desk? It has a remote so it seems like you can put it elsewhere in the room.

I don't really have a place for it. My new office location is a much smaller room.

I have the Adam A8X within 18" of each ear, with a 12" sub at my feet. The sound is incredible. I'm particularly impressed with the sound at very low volume levels; they can be as quiet as I can hear without any change of tone. Of course, they can also blast out the entire room if you like with equal clarity.

Thanks for the feedback on those. What do you use as a source for the AX8 and sub?

I use a Schiit Modi 2. Happy enough with it. Dead silent when not playing audio. Looks like they have a new version.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/blogs/sc...op-dac-review/

I use a Schiit Modi 2. Happy enough with it. Dead silent when not playing audio. Looks like they have a new version.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/blogs/sc...op-dac-review/
    Where's the volume control and the crossover(s) in your setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    Where's the volume control and the crossover(s) in your setup?
    Rough volume control is on the speakers and sub. Fine tuning is on the PC itself. No proper crossover; I let the monitors handle whatever they want and adjusted the sub to fill in where I thought it needed it.

Rough volume control is on the speakers and sub. Fine tuning is on the PC itself. No proper crossover; I let the monitors handle whatever they want and adjusted the sub to fill in where I thought it needed it.
    Ugh... That would be a total non-starter for me. Proper bass redirection and a single volume control that keeps things balanced correctly is a must. Time alignment and dynamic EQ are like to have features also. Hence why I have a Denon AVR-4520CI driving my 2.1 system in my office/library.

Learning Storage Performance Newtun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    Ugh... That would be a total non-starter for me. Proper bass redirection and a single volume control that keeps things balanced correctly is a must. Time alignment and dynamic EQ are like to have features also. Hence why I have a Denon AVR-4520CI driving my 2.1 system in my office/library.
    Dude indeed! That unit costs more than the 3 PCs, 2 printers, and scanner in my office.

I really don't want a full sized reciever in my office. The volume knob on the daskeyboard works fine. The rest would be nice, but I don't need an amp, either. Something the size of a paperback would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Newtun View Post
    Dude indeed! That unit costs more than the 3 PCs, 2 printers, and scanner in my office.
    Well, I bought it used for $350 from a guy I know locally. My other Denon AVR-4520CI that I'm using in my Great Room to drive my 7.1 system I bought was new, but was a closeout at $1100.

I really don't want a full sized reciever in my office. The volume knob on the daskeyboard works fine. The rest would be nice, but I don't need an amp, either. Something the size of a paperback would be ideal.
    Unfortunately you can't get anything like the feature set I want in anything with that sort of form factor. Hence the full size Denon receiver that I use as a pre-pro. It's out of my way, so the size isn't really a factor.

Seems like there really is no good small form factor option for a 2.1 setup. From what I've read and heard from everyone here, anything I pick up for this task will be a downgrade from my Marantz AV7005 for proper bass management and single volume control. I'm sure there are better 2.1 processors for more money, but the form factor won't be any better. I think I'll just find a way to locate it in my office and use the remote like SD suggested. I suspect that moving it farther away should be ok with the balanced cables.

Storage is cool
    Linn to the rescue (as always). ;O)
    35 x 35 x 11.3 cm desk space, modular design, up to 5.1 channels.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/linn-selekt-dsm

Bro...the price tag alone is far too large for my economic dimensions. What's with this £4000 ($5200 USD) price tag!? I enjoy your spirit here but it doesn't do what I want at that price tag. No balanced outputs at this price? My Marantz offers more functionality at less than 1/3 the price...and it's probably 7 years old. lol

Storage is cool
    There"s no shortcut to the perfect sound The basic function is to get great sound, if you can't get that, every other function is a waste. But it looks like it actually has balanced XLR outputs?

Unfortunately I can't afford one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    Seems like there really is no good small form factor option for a 2.1 setup. From what I've read and heard from everyone here, anything I pick up for this task will be a downgrade from my Marantz AV7005 for proper bass management and single volume control. I'm sure there are better 2.1 processors for more money, but the form factor won't be any better. I think I'll just find a way to locate it in my office and use the remote like SD suggested. I suspect that moving it farther away should be ok with the balanced cables.
    I can recommend the Audioengine HD6 active speakers (amp in left channel speaker, passive connection to right speaker). It has RCA and toslink spdif inputs, in addition to Bluetooth aptx. Comes with remote control for volume, mute and power. Has rca outs for a subwoofer, I use mine with a PSA 15S sealed sub. It doesnt generate a .1 channel tho, so I just set the subs plate amp crossover to around 60Hz. Quite surprising sound quality for the price, obviously one can get more capabilty for more money. They were my primary left and right speakers in my home theater until I upgraded to diysoundgroup Titans. They now provide sound for the tv upstairs, where I dont have room for massive speakers and a pre-processor/power amp configuration.

Wife likes it because its simple to use, and she can stream audio from her phone/tablet via the Bluetooth if shes not using it via optical from a PS4.

Thread Information