Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Audio Equipment

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Dang it all... Adorama has the HE-560's on sale for $350 shipped. Beats the $470 I just paid by just a bit. And of course, the place I purchased from doesn't accept returns.

You can't win them all...

Can you not accept the shipment and have them sent back? That sucks...where did you buy them that they don't accept returns?

Is there a special discount code or something at Adorama? When I look them up they're listed at $499 on their website? That is a decent discount if you can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    Can you not accept the shipment and have them sent back? That sucks...where did you buy them that they don't accept returns?
    HiFiHeaven... I thought about trying to refuse the shipment but the whole thing will turn into a big mess with a restocking fee or them not taking it. Win some... Lose some...

Is there a special discount code or something at Adorama? When I look them up they're listed at $499 on their website? That is a decent discount if you can get it.
    I followed the link posted on slickdeals.net to see it.

I should also mention how great the Emotiva Airmotiv T1 speakers sounded that I heard at CES. I thought they sounded quite good. Then I saw the price and was floored.

That's great to learn they sound really good. I've read positive reviews but I've not heard them. The price is really good for a pair of towers if they really do sound that good.

That's great to learn they sound really good. I've read positive reviews but I've not heard them. The price is really good for a pair of towers if they really do sound that good.
    I try to help other people spend money. It's one of my skills.

Well, I'm very underwhelmed with the HE-560. I think they sound pretty bad. Nothing like my HE-500.

Edit: It's the stupid cable. The balanced XLR cable is wired wrong. Idiots... Oh, and it's glued together so I can't open it up and fix it.
    Last edited by Stereodude; 01-19-2018 at 10:06 PM.

I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Bummer. Another strike against the HiFi-Man brand.
    --Lunar

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMist View Post
    Bummer. Another strike against the HiFi-Man brand.
    I sent them an e-mail. We'll see if their support is as bad as their reputation.

FWIW, the headphones sound good with the 1/4" TRS cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    I sent them an e-mail. We'll see if their support is as bad as their reputation.

FWIW, the headphones sound good with the 1/4" TRS cable.
    Is the cable is removable? Maybe they can send you a new one.

I cannot hear well over 10K, so I would not spend that kind of money on a head phone.
    --Lunar

Is the cable is removable? Maybe they can send you a new one.

I cannot hear well over 10K, so I would not spend that kind of money on a head phone.
    Yes, the cable is removable. I'm hoping they will just send me a new cable.

HiFiman is living up(down?) to their reputation. They replied to my e-mail with a response basically claiming that they don't include a 4-pin balanced XLR cable with HE-560's and that must have been an accessory Adorama included. Nevermind the fact that the extra XLR cable was included in the factory sealed box (with their special seal sticker) and is an exact cosmetic match to the 1/4" TRS cable. I sent a reply to them, but have very low expectations.

Adorama is out of stock now so I just see this blowing up into a full unmitigated disaster with any sort of exchange (since they can't and will want the whole thing back). A Neutrik 4 pin male XLR connector is less than $5, so re-terminating the cable correctly with a new XLR connector is most likely going to be the easiest and most painless solution.

HiFiman is living up(down?) to their reputation. They replied to my e-mail with a response basically claiming that they don't include a 4-pin balanced XLR cable with HE-560's and that must have been an accessory Adorama included. Nevermind the fact that the extra XLR cable was included in the factory sealed box (with their special seal sticker) and is an exact cosmetic match to the 1/4" TRS cable. I sent a reply to them, but have very low expectations.

Adorama is out of stock now so I just see this blowing up into a full unmitigated disaster with any sort of exchange (since they can't and will want the whole thing back). A Neutrik 4 pin male XLR connector is less than $5, so re-terminating the cable correctly with a new XLR connector is most likely going to be the easiest and most painless solution.
    If you return the whole package the replacement may have a more serious defect.
    --Lunar

If you return the whole package the replacement may have a more serious defect.
    Nah, I won't get a replacement. The model is now discontinued.

I sent a reply to them, but have very low expectations.
    And they ignored it. A suitable Neutrik 4-pin XLR connector has been ordered.

So, there you have it... HiFiman doesn't stand behind their products.

Good to know. I'll stick to more reputable brands for headphones.

Okay, so both pairs of the HE-560 I bought have a rattle with low frequency content, like a 20Hz test tone. The Adorama pair has a moderate rattle in the right ear cup. The HifiHeaven pair has a pretty bad rattle in the left ear cup. The rattle in both sets is audible in real musical content played at sane volume levels.

I've already got an ongoing dialog with HiFiman over the bad XLR cable. They finally got back to me and seem to be offering to replace it. I guess I can add the headphones themselves to the conversation.

Part of me wants to make one working set between the two, but I guess I will see what they say first. There is also the possibility that the drivers are a match pair (seems like a stretch considering what they're shipping out the door).

Okay, so both pairs of the HE-560 I bought have a rattle with low frequency content, like a 20Hz test tone. The Adorama pair has a moderate rattle in the right ear cup. The HifiHeaven pair has a pretty bad rattle in the left ear cup. The rattle in both sets is audible in real musical content played at sane volume levels.

I've already got an ongoing dialog with HiFiman over the bad XLR cable. They finally got back to me and seem to be offering to replace it. I guess I can add the headphones themselves to the conversation.

Part of me wants to make one working set between the two, but I guess I will see what they say first. There is also the possibility that the drivers are a match pair (seems like a stretch considering what they're shipping out the door).
    Two pairs? I thought you were not happy with the first one. I'd return the one from Adormama for a refund, since the other side may start to vibrate later or something else will malfunction.
    Considering the high cost one would expect that they are individually tested at the fractory, but perhaps not.
    --Lunar

Two pairs? I thought you were not happy with the first one. I'd return the one from Adormama for a refund, since the other side may start to vibrate later or something else will malfunction.
    Considering the high cost one would expect that they are individually tested at the fractory, but perhaps not.
    The Adorama pair was actually the 2nd pair I bought. The first pair I bought arrived after the Adorama set.

The Adorama pair was actually the 2nd pair I bought. The first pair I bought arrived after the Adorama set.
    Bummer. At least the cans were on sale, but the aggravation must feel like far more than $800.
    --Lunar

Well, I now have a RMA number for two pairs of headphones and an XLR cable.

Are they shipping to China?

Are they shipping to China?
    No, New York.

That's a little better but still annoying you have to send them all out so soon after buying them.

That's a little better but still annoying you have to send them all out so soon after buying them.
    Yeah... Tell me about it.

The address they gave me is to a house on Long Island. Better than shipping to China for sure.

I hope it is not like Merc and his Samsung drives that were not heard from again.
    --Lunar

Maybe...it'll be interesting how long it takes them to get them back to you.

I hope it is not like Merc and his Samsung drives that were not heard from again.
    That's what insurance on the shipment is for.

Maybe...it'll be interesting how long it takes them to get them back to you.
    Supposed they will ship replacements as soon as they get them (per the instructions they sent me). "We will arrange the replacement upon receiving your packaged item."

Oh that's nice. Given both your units had the resonating issue, is there any expectations the new ones will not have this defect?

Oh that's nice. Given both your units had the resonating issue, is there any expectations the new ones will not have this defect?
    I'd like to think they'd screen them for the specific defect if they're really cross shipping a replacement, but that's probably expecting too much.

They would have to discard 50%.
    --Lunar

They arrive on Long Island tomorrow. I'm curious about what I'm going to get in return.

So I got two new (at least to me) sets of HE-560 yesterday and a balanced XLR cable back from HiFiMan. This cable is wired correctly this time. These HE-560's are considerably better than the last two with regards to low frequency rattle, but are not perfect. They each have a very slight noise in one ear cup with a 20Hz test tone. One in the left, one in the right. It is not audible in the same real content that the last two failed. The pair with the left ear problem may be fixable with a slight adjustment to the screws. Moving the cable going into the earpiece can make it come and go. The pair with the right ear issue has more of slight tick sound, not a rattle. I haven't been able to make it come and go though I haven't tried too hard yet.

At this point I should probably cut my losses and just keep them since it's not audible in real musical content since I'm 4/4 with these and they otherwise sound quite good.

Storage is cool
    I bought a pair of wireless Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear a few months ago. I wanted to buy the ones with cable but they only seem to be compatible with iphone these days.

The sound is pleasant but not too engaging. I like the ability to connect to the computer with USB and to two phones with bluetooth. And the noise cancelling is of course nice to have on travels and when you share office with other people.

What would anyone suggest for waterproof BT headphones (not earphones)?
    I want to block out the sounds in my head normally and especially in the showers.
    FWIW, I tried the BT speakers, but they echo and the background water noise is too much.
    --Lunar

You want to wear and listen to headphones in the shower? I don't know if such a product exist.

What are these sounds in your head that you want to block out?

I don't know, maybe French or Spanish. I don't speak the language.
    --Lunar

I don't know, maybe French or Spanish. I don't speak the language.
    I'm so confused...

Where are there foreign speaking voices coming from?

Maybe the construction. I'm not mental, but it is always something.
    --Lunar

How about some earplugs?

Nope. Once the earplugs are in you _know_ the voices are in your head. Better to be annoyed and a little paranoid than legit crazy.
    Work1: i7-8086@5.3Ghz, 32GB, 512GB 970 Pro, 2080ti
    Home1: i7-8700K@5.1Ghz, 64GB, 512GB 960 Pro, 1080ti
    Home2: i9-7900X@4.5Ghz, 64GB, 512GB 960 Pro, 1080ti

Earplugs are useless. Everything is weaker, that's all. The point of music is to have competing sound.
    --Lunar

What kind of Bluetooth speakers did you try and how close were they? The Sony BT speakers I have (SRS-XB3) can easily overpower the noise from my shower for listening to music if I put it on the top of the glass "stall" wall pointing in with them blasting at some crazy volume. Heck, my tablet's speakers can easily be heard for listening to a podcast over the shower if placed in the same location.

My plan is to put marine grade rated car audio speakers in the ceiling over the shower and the sinks in the master bathroom for audio listening. I bought the speakers a while back, but I've finally gotten motivated and have been acquiring all the parts for the project. Right now I'm trying to buy a nice used Denon to power them and the eventual 15" sub I won't be able to resist putting in the ceiling too (I already have the sub driver and the amp).

What kind of Bluetooth speakers did you try and how close were they? The Sony BT speakers I have (SRS-XB3) can easily overpower the noise from my shower for listening to music if I put it on the top of the glass "stall" wall pointing in with them blasting at some crazy volume. Heck, my tablet's speakers can easily be heard for listening to a podcast over the shower if placed in the same location.

My plan is to put marine grade rated car audio speakers in the ceiling over the shower and the sinks in the master bathroom for audio listening. I bought the speakers a while back, but I've finally gotten motivated and have been acquiring all the parts for the project. Right now I'm trying to buy a nice used Denon to power them and the eventual 15" sub I won't be able to resist putting in the ceiling too (I already have the sub driver and the amp).
    I used one of the Sony speakers. Maybe it could overcome the water, but I'm not into "blasting at some crazy volume" early in the morning.
    --Lunar

I used one of the Sony speakers. Maybe it could overcome the water, but I'm not into "blasting at some crazy volume" early in the morning.
    That's a typo. I meant without them blasting at some crazy volume.

Is one 4x series ok for the showers? The 3 has no high dispersion and not much separation.
    --Lunar

None of them have much separation due to how close together the drivers are. IMHO, the XB40 sounds similar to the XB3. It can play a little louder though.

I put up some acoustic panels on the back wall of my office / library at home over the weekend to minimize the acoustic reflections since my head is so close to the back wall. I also swapped out the Sherbourn PT-7200A pre-pro for a used Denon AVR-4520CI I picked up last week. I like Audyssey XT32 + the Dynamic EQ function. I really like what it did in my great room with my other Denon 4520CI that I've had for a few years which is what drove me to buy something with it for the office / library.

The perceptual difference is quite stark. Acoustically it's like the back wall isn't right there behind me anymore.

acoustic_panels_sm.jpg.

Nice. I've gone a bit nuts with acoustic panels in the last 7 years or so. Adding more always seems to make things better. 30sqft+ in the office at this point. The wall closest and the wall behind (where the speakers are pointed) seem to make the most difference.
    Work1: i7-8086@5.3Ghz, 32GB, 512GB 970 Pro, 2080ti
    Home1: i7-8700K@5.1Ghz, 64GB, 512GB 960 Pro, 1080ti
    Home2: i9-7900X@4.5Ghz, 64GB, 512GB 960 Pro, 1080ti

Quote Originally Posted by ddrueding View Post
    Nice. I've gone a bit nuts with acoustic panels in the last 7 years or so. Adding more always seems to make things better. 30sqft+ in the office at this point. The wall closest and the wall behind (where the speakers are pointed) seem to make the most difference.
    Generally you want to kill off all the first reflection points, so a panel or two on the ceiling, a panel or two on the side walls and the wall immediately behind the speaker. However, for 2 channel you'll end up deadening the room too much if you're not careful. You don't want to cover every wall with loads of absorption and want to use diffusion where helpful or necessary. If I was sitting further from the back wall I would have gone with diffusion on it instead of absorption. I can't treat the side walls in this room. The first reflection points are a set of glass double doors on one side and a window on the other. However they're better than a flat wall. The windows has blinds to diffuse the sound some and the glass door I leave open a few inches so it's really bouncing the sound elsewhere in the room. The ceiling I'm leaving alone for now. I plan to make absorptive panels to put behind the speakers on the front wall. One of them needs a hole for a light switch.

Thread Information