Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Audio Equipment

Storage is cool
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBastard View Post
    Has anyone claimed that MQA is lossless? It's clearly applying compression when compared to a 24 bit / 96kHz encoding. Seems more like a potential option if you are in a bandwidth limited scenario.

Anyway didn't want to create the impression that MQA is some kind of miracle, the reference was more to give an indication of battery life of the Mojo when playing 96kHz content. I'm getting longer life playing back standard 44 kHz audio.
    Sorry, it wasn't my intention to attack you or make this a holy war. Your post was actually the first time I've ever heard about MQA so I tried to get some understanding in what it is, and why. And when I tried to inform myself I saw some mixed opinions. And the word "lossless" appears in many places around the internet. Here's even an article where the MQA people explained that it isn't lossless, but that it's in fact better than lossless (if I understood everything correctly) http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...wDB1L5Syd8f.97

Today I actually downloaded 192KHz/24bit, 44.1KHz/24 bit and MQA tracks from here: http://www.2l.no/hires/ and played on my none MQA stereo. I couldn't hear any huge differences. The conditions wasn't optimal, so I hope I'll get around to placing my speakers correctly and get a chance to be home alone and take a listening session. The technical reasoning is one thing, but what matters is how it sounds.

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Better than lossless... Maybe if they're using 16/44.1 as their lossless baseline. A lossy compressed format could yield higher fidelity if it accepted and decoded more than 16-bits. As to whether it would be sonically better is another question. It would depend on whether the extra resolution was audible vs. the audibility of the compression.

However, I'm realistic. 16/44.1 is ample for audio reproduction. "Hi-res" is a pointless gimmick. If you really wanted to hedge your bets against corner cases 18/44.1 would do the trick. Better mixing & mastering and the death of the Loudness Wars would be a far more tangible and impactful improvement than capturing what can't be heard with high sampling rates or driving up the bit depth for dynamic range that can't be realized.

Storage is cool
    It's difficult to recreate what's not there, that's the first rule in my religion.

But I agree that it would make a bigger difference if we could get rid of loudness war, radio channels that didn't use smiley face EQ-curves and so on, rather than of we miss a couple of bits of the music.

Got some Yamaha NS-IC800 in ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS-X height channels. Need to build a little support so they can be nestled between the floor joists on the ceiling.

I'm tempted by a local sale over on AVS on a pair of Salk HT2-TL speakers. These have been on my short list for a long time and I've heard/read great things on Salk over the years but don't know what to compare them to. I've yet to hear a pair of these but wondered if anyone here has any experience with this model.

Will you be running your PSA sub in conjunction with those? They certainly look glorious.

I'm undecided if I would use my sub with these. I'm rather attached to it being part of my PC audio config. I may consider another PSA sub if I decide to make a deal on the HT2-TLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    I'm tempted by a local sale over on AVS on a pair of Salk HT2-TL speakers. These have been on my short list for a long time and I've heard/read great things on Salk over the years but don't know what to compare them to. I've yet to hear a pair of these but wondered if anyone here has any experience with this model.
    I've heard a pair or two of Salk speakers in a local HT at a meet a few years ago, but I don't recall the model. They sounded good as far as I remember.

I would imagine that the seller would let you come audition them so you could make up your own mind.

I ended up going a different direction with my living room TV/audio setup. The house is small and we wanted to make the room feel bigger so I replaced the large entertainment center with a smaller one and I decided to go with a sound bar for the audio. I went with a Samsung HW-MS650 sound bar. I know that sound bars come with a ton of compromise but I have to admit the size and convenience has its benefits. To sidetrack a bit, part of the reason I went down this path is that back in February I decided to replace my aging Samsung Plasma TV with a cheap TCL 55US5800 4K UHD 55" panel. It was on sale at Target for $380 so I bought it to hold me over until the better panels come down in price and the HDR support becomes commonplace among all the other changes going on. One of the issues with this TCL is the terrible built-in sound. I decided to try and solve this issue with supplementing the TV with this Samsung HW-MS650...which is already more expensive than the entire TV but I digress.

The HW-MS650 is a bit of a surprise when it comes to features and overall decent sound. The amount of bass that comes out of this bar can actually be felt, not just heard. There is a subwoofer option being released in the future but even without one it does a damn good job filling the room with sound given the size of the bar. Eventually when there are some reviews for the subwoofer I may end up picking one up but for now I'm content with the sound it offers. One observation that I've noticed with the sound bar is that the girlfriend no longer hunts for the remote to change the audio up and down throughout a movie or TV show. Often times the volume would be changed 6-8 times during a movie because it was annoying her. Now the audio level is almost never adjusted even when loud scenes happen and I suspect this is because the sound quality is a lot cleaner that it's not piercing and annoying like it is with the built-in TV speakers. This isn't because of some dynamic range adjustment, it just sounds a lot cleaner and isn't fatiguing at all whereas the built-in speakers are tiring.

The features and convenience of this bar are also really handy. The unit will power on whenever it detects a signal from the HDMI ARC connection (or even BT/Wi-Fi). The TV's internal speakers are then muted when the unit connects so there's no fuss with using remotes or forgetting to turn on the sound bar. The TV remote changes the volume on the sound bar through way of the ARC connection. This sound bar also supports Bluetooth to stream music (which we've done several times) and also through Wi-Fi apps such as Spotify, Pandora, Amazon, etc. When we're done with the TV and power it off, the sound bar will eventually go to sleep so there's no need to worry about power it off manually. There is a small visual readout on the sound bar on the right side inside the grill. It's subtle and non-intrusive during use of the unit. The display will turn off after a few seconds so you're not constantly seeing blue LEDs in your field of view. The unit is mostly metal construction and solid with decent weight. I don't perceive any rattling or vibrations from the unit and casing during playback.

I still find that this unit is missing a little bit of clarity and brilliance in the mid to high range for my personal tastes but it's not at all detracting or fatiguing. The soundstage is decent but will never be as good as a pair of separate speakers. It's a ton better than the built-in speakers so the improvement is remarkable in comparison. I do find that there is some trickiness with getting proper playback of audio tracks from movies played through the built-in Roku Plex app. This sound bar (and also the ARC connection) won't decode anything more that DTS/DTS+ so if one of my Bluray movies has a DTS-HD or TrueHD audio track via pass-thru, there is often some weirdness in the output. I discovered through other forum discussion that this is more a Plex issue than an issue with this sound bar.

We haven't often discussed sound bars here and they may not appear to some of the audiophiles that like the utmost perfection in sound but if you have a significant other in your life and you're looking for a good compromise in terms of ease of use with decent sound, I found this to be a good value.

A soundbar? A soundbar?!? A soundbar!?!?!

Operators are standing by to revoke your Audiophile Card. They will breach shortly. Do not resist.

j/k... Glad you found something that does what you want, even if it is a little unconventional by HiFi standards.

I'm more of an aspiring audiophile so I never got my card yet. I'm likely disqualified now but there's still time to redeem myself.

Building a pair of Dayton UM18-22 subwoofers in sealed 4 cu ft flat packs. Behringer EP4000 for the amp, . Got one in operation so far, very impressive output for the money. About 100 pounds, have it sitting on a furniture dolly for ease of placement. Inverting the drivers to maximize enclosure volume and simplify wiring.

Looks like the drivers are out of stock till September now.

I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Building a pair of Dayton UM18-22 subwoofers in sealed 4 cu ft flat packs. Behringer EP4000 for the amp, . Got one in operation so far, very impressive output for the money. About 100 pounds, have it sitting on a furniture dolly for ease of placement. Inverting the drivers to maximize enclosure volume and simplify wiring.

Where will you be using them, at home?
    --Lunar

Make sure you test the drivers when you get them and don't let them sit untested. Dayton/PE seems to be having a problem with getting consistently good drivers.

I think they have a vented pole piece. Is the vent reasonably quiet when the driver is in operation?

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMist View Post
    Why do you ask? You think two 18" subwoofers is overkill for use at home?

I just have the one 12" in the living room and an 8" in the master bedroom. I don't think I need more.
    Work1: i7-5930K@4.57Ghz, 64GB, 512GB Samsung XP941, 2x 290X
    Home1: i7-7700k@5Ghz, 32GB, 1TB 960 Evo, 2x 1080
    Home2: i7-6700k@4.4Ghz, 32GB@3Ghz, 2x SM951, 2x Titan X

Yup in the basement theatre. Will prob build two more once they get back in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    Make sure you test the drivers when you get them and don't let them sit untested. Dayton/PE seems to be having a problem with getting consistently good drivers.

I think they have a vented pole piece. Is the vent reasonably quiet when the driver is in operation?
    Yep already checked for mechanical noise, got two good units. No vent noise that I can hear. Apparently they've changed the driver cutout/basket in the next batch, in addition to increasing the pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by ddrueding View Post
    I just have the one 12" in the living room and an 8" in the master bedroom. I don't think I need more.
    Lightweight. I have two 21" DIY subs in my great room. Each one is in a box of about 7ft^3 with two 18" passive radiators and they're powered by a 4kW amp. I'd say I have just about the right amount of bass at my seat in the room.

Prior lesser subs did not deliver what I was after. I started with 2 sealed 15" subs, went to two dual driver 15" sealed subs, to using all four giving me 6 sealed 15" drivers working together.

I need to run a dedicated 20A circuit for the sub amp though. I had my power conditioner shut down and go into an overload protection mode when I was pushing things last weekend in some testing.

Yep already checked for mechanical noise, got two good units. No vent noise that I can hear. Apparently they've changed the driver cutout/basket in the next batch, in addition to increasing the pricing.
    According to this post that's not entirely accurate.

According to this post that's not entirely accurate.
    Good news all round then apart from the price bump. Looks like I got two from the good batch, and nothings changed with the baskets.

What 4kw amp are you using? Speakerpower?

What 4kw amp are you using? Speakerpower?
    Yes, SP1-4000. I don't have the latest iteration though. Mine is the prior model (no RCA's & no delay knob).

Nice, I prefer your style with the exposed heatsinks verus the seamless current style.

My ultimate sub amp would be the SP2-12000 running on 240V at 30A. Four UM18s per channel. One day.

Just for the heck of it I decided to try getting in on the Massdrop Sennheiser HD 6XX drop for $199.99 that opened this morning. They offered 5000 units and they all sold out in a short amount of time. Their servers were slammed with orders and lots of people had issues with timeouts, etc. I believe I was able to get in for one after refreshing my order for about 10 minutes.

I think it was so busy because this deal made headlines on other known sites:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/get-a-spec...phone-for-200/
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/8/13...price-massdrop
    They're back, but at $249.99 this time. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/42703

I got in this time.

Very nice! I saw they were being offered again but didn't partake in the drop since I already have a pair. I use them every day at work and enjoy what they offer even in a somewhat noisy environment.

Very nice! I saw they were being offered again but didn't partake in the drop since I already have a pair. I use them every day at work and enjoy what they offer even in a somewhat noisy environment.
    I've been using my Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart at work pretty much exclusively. The Massdrop x Grace Design m9XX DAC/Amp is tempting me now.

How are those Fostex? I almost got in on a pair of those but wasn't sure it was my type of cans.

I ended up buying a XDuoo XD-05 DAC/Amp for $177 a few months back from Massdrop. I find it's ok, but a bit fickle on several levels. It really does not sound good if you have it charging at the same time as using it. There is a decent amount of whine through the charing mechanism. I also find it is a bit slow to change bit-depth/resolutions depending on the music I'm listening to.

How are those Fostex? I almost got in on a pair of those but wasn't sure it was my type of cans.
    I like them. I wish they had a bit less mid bass emphasis. From the frequency response curves I've seen posted I think the frequency response on the Ebony would be a bit more my speed.

Edit: I dove in on the Massdrop x Grace Design m9XX DAC/Amp. It's my gift to myself for getting a new job.
    Last edited by Stereodude; 06-27-2017 at 05:41 PM.

I installed a dedicated 20A circuit to my great room for my subwoofer tonight. Before I had it plugged into one of my power conditioners. I was able to trigger the overload protection on the power conditioner if I pushed it really hard before. No problems with that now (of course it's plugged directly into the wall).

Did you do the electrical yourself for the 20A circuit? I'd like one of those for my server rack but I can appreciate you having one for subs.

Did you do the electrical yourself for the 20A circuit? I'd like one of those for my server rack but I can appreciate you having one for subs.
    Yes, I've added a few other circuits too. One 20A 120V in my basement with 4 pairs of outlets on the wall for my computer equipment and a 20A 240V circuit in my garage for my air compressor. The house as it came from the builder only had two outlets in the basement on the side of the electrical panel box.

I installed a dedicated 20A circuit to my great room for my subwoofer tonight. Before I had it plugged into one of my power conditioners. I was able to trigger the overload protection on the power conditioner if I pushed it really hard before. No problems with that now (of course it's plugged directly into the wall).
    All of my AV gear is on an exterior wall, so doing such things is more challenging.
    Work1: i7-5930K@4.57Ghz, 64GB, 512GB Samsung XP941, 2x 290X
    Home1: i7-7700k@5Ghz, 32GB, 1TB 960 Evo, 2x 1080
    Home2: i7-6700k@4.4Ghz, 32GB@3Ghz, 2x SM951, 2x Titan X

Wannabe Storage Freak
    They're back, but at $249.99 this time. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/42703

I got in this time.
    Nice.

I will say though that the MassDrop web site is annoying as F&CK!!! I highlighted "Sennheiser HD 650" on their page so I could do the right-click|search google option and a F&CKEN "Sign Up For Massdrop" box opens up. WTF. Annoying site. Sorry. /endrant
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

- Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

Quote Originally Posted by snowhiker View Post
    Nice.

I will say though that the MassDrop web site is annoying as F&CK!!! I highlighted "Sennheiser HD 650" on their page so I could do the right-click|search google option and a F&CKEN "Sign Up For Massdrop" box opens up. WTF. Annoying site. Sorry. /endrant
    Yeah, I see the same. I also hate those club sites where you have to sign up and be spammed ad infinitum. By the time you log in the prices have changed or the product is not longer available. Life is too short for such bullshit: mad:
    --Lunar

Yeah, I see the same. I also hate those club sites where you have to sign up and be spammed ad infinitum. By the time you log in the prices have changed or the product is not longer available. Life is too short for such bullshit: mad:
    I don't think Massdrop has sent me any "spam" e-mails. Considering some of the products are exclusive to them if you want them, you don't have any other choice if you want to buy it. It's not as bad as you make it out to be though.

Massdrop emails are one of the few I enjoy getting given it is an advertisement.

So Massdrop only charged me $199.99 for the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones. I thought they were $249.99.

Edit: They had to pass 5000 sets sold for the price to drop to $199.99 which I guess they did.
    Last edited by Stereodude; 06-30-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo

Yes they ended up lowering the price back to the price I paid in the first time this happened and they increased the quantity for this round. It's a great deal for these headphones.

Yes they ended up lowering the price back to the price I paid in the first time this happened and they increased the quantity for this round. It's a great deal for these headphones.
    I didn't realize these weren't going to ship for almost 6 months when I joined. It's not a big deal to me as I have plenty of headphones to listen to in the mean time, but that is a LONG wait.

That is a very long wait. Not sure what's up with that. The last run did take a few weeks or a month but nothing that long.

Wannabe Storage Freak
    I didn't realize these weren't going to ship for almost 6 months when I joined. It's not a big deal to me as I have plenty of headphones to listen to in the mean time, but that is a LONG wait.
    Wait a sec. Don't you already have a "high-end" set of headphones that you converted to XLR?
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

Wait a sec. Don't you already have a "high-end" set of headphones that you converted to XLR?
    I have numerous pairs of headphones that people would consider "high-end". Like AKG-K7XX, HiFiMan HE-500, & Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart. Why would that preclude me from buying more?

That is a very long wait. Not sure what's up with that. The last run did take a few weeks or a month but nothing that long.
    Do they charge when the product is shipped or up front?
    --Lunar

Do they charge when the product is shipped or up front?
    Up front.

Wannabe Storage Freak
    I have numerous pairs of headphones that people would consider "high-end". Like AKG-K7XX, HiFiMan HE-500, & Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart. Why would that preclude me from buying more?
    I was wondering why the new set when you already had a better set of phones. I was thinking you already had a $1000 pair with separate amp and everything.

Different phones for different music types? One for each room of the house? Sold old ones? Shits-n-giggles?

I was wondering why the new set when you already had a better set of phones. I was thinking you already had a $1000 pair with separate amp and everything.
    The Hifiman HE-500's are the most expensive ones. They were $699 when I bought them. (They were $899 when they first came out.) I have them wired for balanced operation with a 4-pin XLR and have a fully balanced DAC/amp to drive them. They are probably the best sounding headphones I have. However, they're fairly heavy, inefficient, and offer no outside isolation. As a result they're not suitable for listening in anything but a quiet environment or somewhere no one else can be annoyed by the sound they make. I also have to have a HP amp handy.

Different phones for different music types? One for each room of the house? Sold old ones? Shits-n-giggles?
    I'm not a different headphones for different music types person. I had the Fostex TH-X00 at work because they're closed back cans and offer some isolation and don't leak sound like crazy. The AKG K-7XX sat unused due to a rattle in one of the ears with low frequency content. I finally RMA'd them back to Harman right before the warranty ran out and got them fixed.

I haven't sold any headphones. Selling things I've acquired generally isn't in my playbook. I have many pairs of cans mostly because I wanted them and could afford them. I guess that's S&G.

Wannabe Storage Freak
    Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Selling things I've acquired generally isn't in my playbook. I have many pairs of cans mostly because I wanted them and could afford them. I guess that's S&G.
    I totally get that. I do not get rid of books. I still have plastic crates full of old college textbooks. Absolutely nothing wrong with buying nice things simply because you want and can afford them.

Switched the drivers to basket in orientation. With the basket out and the drivers facing up the boxes were going walkabout on the concrete floor. With the driver facing the side the center of gravity is not ideal, just more vibration compared to the more centrally dense basket in config. I'm thinking of coupling these together with plywood top and bottom to make a single 8 cuft dual opposed, and then put the center channel on top. No more walkies.

Yesterday, I build a small electrical circuit to fix a fundamental design flaw in the Furman MP-20 I have. The MP-20 is a 20A remotely controlled pair of outlets that I bought many years ago on eBay and never used. I thought I could wire it up to a +12V trigger output or similar and have it turn on/off my subwoofer with the rest of my system since the amp lacks a trigger option or automatic standby / power off based on signal. Well, I didn't read the manual closely enough before buying the MP-20 to discover a remote 12V trigger signal isn't what the MP-20 was designed to work with. They made it to work with a remotely mounted SPST switch and it turns on the outlet when the switch circuit is open. So, when you connect it to a +12V trigger it turns the outlets off when the +12V signal is present and the outlets on when the +12V signal is off. Of course that's exactly backward.

The MP-20 has a weak 12V output (6mA max) in the connector block so I was able to use a P-channel FET and two 12k resistors to effectively invert the logic of a external 12V trigger signal and make it work correctly.

I made this:

The other resistor is inside the 5.5x2.1mm barrel jack housing. The FET is the small lump dangling off to the right with wires run to it. I have a 12V wallwart plugged into the subwoofer outlet on the power conditioner that is the trigger signal for this circuit & the MP-20 since I wanted the turn on and off to be delayed. Now the MP-20 does exactly what I want, but somehow audio related things are always a project.

20170701_195620_sm.jpg

Thread Information