Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Audio Equipment

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Do you need an amp or a receiver? You mention an amp, but the Yamaha piece you referenced is a receiver. You linked to the Emotiva X-series gear which does not include a receiver. It has pre-amps and amplifiers.

Serial computer killer Hairy Aussie CougTek's Avatar
    I need something that will receive the audio signal from a source (TV, computer, USB stick, whatever) and push it to a pair of Paradigm speakers. Ideally not too expensive but still capable of sending high-quality audio to the speaker towers.

If I'm not clear enough, then I guess I just need to include a link to a reply forum page, pretending it's meant to show something completly different.

I've been very happy with my XPA5 (Gen 1) and felt like for the money it does a nice job. I'm assuming you're looking for a 2-channel amp? If you're going straight from a PC into an amp you'll want something in-between for a more-discrete volume management.

Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    I've been very happy with my XPA5 (Gen 1) and felt like for the money it does a nice job. I'm assuming you're looking for a 2-channel amp? If you're going straight from a PC into an amp you'll want something in-between for a more-discrete volume management.
    I might opt for their 3-channel model. Reading back the beginning of the thread, Mercutio wrote that a center speaker significantly improves the listening experience. I'd like to have the option.

So it would be better to get a receiver, plug the receiver to the amp and then plug the speakers to the amp? Any suggestion for a good receiver model, ideally less than 600$?

You may need to experiment to see what you like but like most things that are audio related you'll get a lot of opinions. Speaking of more opinions, I find that the center channel detracts from the listening experience instead of helping it when listening to music. A nice pair of front speakers with good imaging will negate the need for a center channel. You may be better of investing in room treatments and experimenting with speaker placement in your room to improve the audio quality than to add the center channel. That said, I know nothing about the speakers you have, so it's possible they may benefit from a center channel more than other front speakers.

It sounds like you would want a DAC without amplifiers if you plan to use an Emotiva amp. This depends on how many use cases you want to support in terms of the source input. You mentioned a computer, TV, etc, but each of those may offer different output sources. For example on the PC, you could use HDMI, SPDIF, or even the line out as a source. If you're using a TV, you'd likely be using SPDIF out or possible HDMI ARC if your TV supports either of those. My point being, if you need a flexible amount of source types, you may need to consider a receiver or a DAC that has multiple input types but also has preamp outputs if you want to use a specific dedicated amp like the X series sold by Emotiva. In my specific setup, I use a Marantz AV7005 Preamp/Processor to manage the various input sources. This device then outputs the preamps to the amplifiers as it has no amplifiers built into it. This does the DAC of the various source formats and does bass management for my subwoofer in a 2.1 setup.

The Yamaha RX-A670 you listed has no pre-amp output (except for the sub) so you wouldn't be able to utilize any of the Emotive amps or any amp for that matter (at least not cleanly). You would need to rely entirely on their built-in amplification for your speakers.

I'd suggest a receiver. One with pre-amp outputs to allow outboard amps later if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by CougTek View Post
    I might opt for their 3-channel model. Reading back the beginning of the thread, Mercutio wrote that a center speaker significantly improves the listening experience. I'd like to have the option.

So it would be better to get a receiver, plug the receiver to the amp and then plug the speakers to the amp? Any suggestion for a good receiver model, ideally less than 600$?
    At the $600 pricepoint I would suggest something like the Denon X3300W:

It has pre outs so you can hook up outboard amps if needed. Down from $999 because this is last years model (no major changes)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HL8KYAY

Of course $200 more will get you to the X4300W which can decode 11.1 channels and amplify 9 - this will let you run up to 7 base channels and four heights with an additional two channel amp.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX430...dp/B01KZRPNIQ/

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll see what I can get locally* and at what price.

* More often than not, Amazon.com doesn't ship to Québec and selection from Amazon.ca is more limited than the U$ version. Prices on the Canayan site are also higher, even after figuring out currency convertion.
    Last edited by CougTek; 09-11-2017 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Added a precision

Quote Originally Posted by CougTek View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll see what I can get locally* and at what price.

* More often than not, Amazon.com doesn't ship to Québec and selection from Amazon.ca is more limited than the U$ version. Prices on the Canayan site are also higher, even after figuring out currency convertion.
    Sorry Coug yes doesnt look like Amazon.com will ship over there, and these aren't tremendous value at full retail. Considered delivery to someone close to the border and then a daytrip over to pick it up?

Actually that was for the 4300, looks like the 3300 model is available from US shipping to Canada,
    I used an adress in Quebec City: SmartSelectImage_2017-09-11-01-27-00.png

What is this storage?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBastard View Post
    Actually that was for the 4300, looks like the 3300 model is available from US shipping to Canada,
    I used an adress in Quebec City: SmartSelectImage_2017-09-11-01-27-00.png
    The screenshot is from Amazon right? i could have sworn it sought of looks like Aliexpress and i always say that anything with wires shouldn't be bought from Aliexpress. Lol

Correct, that's Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    I didn't realize these weren't going to ship for almost 6 months when I joined. It's not a big deal to me as I have plenty of headphones to listen to in the mean time, but that is a LONG wait.
    So my HD6XX headphone arrived on Friday. I gave them a quick listen yesterday just to make sure they worked. They seem to be working okay. Nothing immediately objectionable about the sound. As I expected they're a little different in sound from some of the other headphones I have (which don't all sound the same either). I'll give them a better listen in the near future.

Do you have any other headphones from Sennheiser? I use my HD6XX at work every day and enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    Do you have any other headphones from Sennheiser? I use my HD6XX at work every day and enjoy them.
    I had a pair of noise cancelling headphones from them many years ago that I no longer use, but that hardly counts. My office is too noisy for open headphones, so I use closed back headphones.

On a pair of HD650 right now, and I'm quite happy with them. Lighter and slimmer than others I have of the same sound quality.
    Work1: i7-5930K@4.57Ghz, 64GB, 512GB Samsung XP941, 2x 290X
    Home1: i7-7700k@5Ghz, 32GB, 1TB 960 Evo, 2x 1080
    Home2: i7-6700k@4.4Ghz, 32GB@3Ghz, 2x SM951, 2x Titan X

I'll give them a better listen in the near future.
    So I've listened to them much closer and longer this morning from my Sony NW-A35 Walkman. They image very nicely and have good clarity and transparency without being overly bright or glaring. I do wish they had a little more low end thump at the very bottom though.

Quote Originally Posted by ddrueding View Post
    On a pair of HD650 right now, and I'm quite happy with them. Lighter and slimmer than others I have of the same sound quality.
    According to all accounts the HD6XX are the HD650's with a shorter cord and slightly different cosmetics.

...and earlier reports of poor quality on HiFiMan equipment....totally on-point. The foam ear-cup on my 400i has separated completely. I'm sure I can just glue it back on, but c'mon....

Wannabe Storage Freak
    ...and earlier reports of poor quality on HiFiMan equipment....totally on-point. The foam ear-cup on my 400i has separated completely. I'm sure I can just glue it back on, but c'mon....
    Make sure you use $699/ounce audiophile glue and allow them to cure in an oxygen free environment.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

- Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Evacuate the air to a high vacuum (0.05 Torr), then purge with a pure inert gas (5.0 helium or nitrogen) and repeat a few times to be sure.
    --Lunar

The trick is it needs to work with the metal mesh, foam inner, and leather(ish) outer at the same time. No CA because of the foam. Hot glue? Epoxy of some kind?

Can you dissolve some polyurethane and add a binder for the foam?
    --Lunar

Hot glue may melt the foam depending on the type of foam. What about a double sided tape or contact cement?

The metal mesh might have a hard time with the tape, not a lot of surface area available. Contact cement is an interesting idea; is there a foam-melting concern there as well?

Ideally you want to dissolve the surface of the foam, not melt it.
    --Lunar

Contact cement is an interesting idea; is there a foam-melting concern there as well?
    That depends on the type. A water based one I would expect not. An oil based one, maybe.

That depends on the type. A water based one I would expect not. An oil based one, maybe.
    I seriously doubt there would be enough energy to melt the foam.
    --Lunar

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMist View Post
    I seriously doubt there would be enough energy to melt the foam.
    I highly doubt that's the melting he needs to be concerned about.

I highly doubt that's the melting he needs to be concerned about.
    It may be an RMA or circular file situation.
    --Lunar

Thread Information