Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Audio Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by timwhit View Post
    Those say they are best for side-wall mounting. I am planning on mounting them behind the couch or slightly to the side on the same wall as the couch.
    Those Rocket surround speakers would seem to work nice behind the audience if there were perpendicular walls nearby on both sides.
    Do wat du wolt, die Lut snakt doch.

There really aren't any walls nearby, which is why I think I am going to have to mount behind the couch. Anyone have experience with this kind of setup?

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by ddrueding View Post
    Should I be trying to get a 50' optical cable to connect my X-Plosion to my reciever? Or will a simple coax connection be enough?
    RG-59 or RG-60 will probably work better than a 50' optical cable, and be cheaper too. However, a 50' optical cable would probably be fine.

There really aren't any walls nearby, which is why I think I am going to have to mount behind the couch. Anyone have experience with this kind of setup?
    My current speakers are similar to the ones you referenced. I mounted them on stands so that they would be a few inches above the back of my sofa and there wouldn't be any damage to my walls. I put them at the outer corners of the sofa and then pointed them in at an angle. The effect is good.

Are they at ear level? Is your couch right up against the wall?

How far from the back wall is your couch? The Rocket Dipoles will work fine on the back wall, but you might want to rewire the tweeter to be in phase rather than out of phase.

Are they at ear level? Is your couch right up against the wall?
    Yes, they are ear level and the couch is roughly 18" from the wall.

My couch is right up against the wall. I really can't move it out because the room is pretty narrow and I need as much room as possible.

I assume this will make the sound suffer, but I am unwilling to give up any more floor space. I live in a fairly small condo.

Those rockets are a bit expensive as well. I was looking to spend less than $400 for the pair.

Will those NHT's sound bad with my configuration? Do I need to look into a dipole speaker similar to the rocket?

Just FYI: The "rear" speakers for DD5.1 are supposed to be on the side, not behind you. Unless you're talking about speakers 6 & 7 in a 7.1 setup they shouldn't go behind you.

Still, if you want to put them behind you, with the couch up against the back wall, you're pretty much screwed because you don't have room. Have you considered in wall speakers?

I got all the speakers plugged in and jury-rigged a stretch of speaker wire into an SPDIF cable. The sound is quite good; easily as good as my last, less "boom-y" as Merc said, but the sharpness and clarity is easily comparable. I'm still doing some initial listening, but I suspect I'm picking up more detail as well.

I haven't even mounted the rear speakers yet - that is going to be quite a chore because of the room layout, but it will be nice once the couch finally arrives.
    Work1: i7-5930K@4.57Ghz, 64GB, 512GB Samsung XP941, 2x 290X
    Home1: i7-7700k@5Ghz, 32GB, 1TB 960 Evo, 2x 1080
    Home2: i7-6700k@4.4Ghz, 32GB@3Ghz, 2x SM951, 2x Titan X

This is what I was envisioning. My drawing is a bit crude, but gets the point across.

Fatwah on Western Digital Fixture Mercutio's Avatar
    I've had that sort of layout before. You'll be fine.

That is good to hear. Do you think the cheaper NHT speakers I linked above will be fine or should I go for the larger more expensive ones?

In the back it probably doesn't matter so much...

That was what I was thinking too. $140 for an extra 1.25" of driver probably won't make that much of a difference on the two speakers that are used the least. I think I would rather spend that $140 on a new receiver to replace my aging/crappy s*ny that is at least 7 years old.

Most of the sound from a 5.1 soundtrack comes from the center channel, that bears the brunt of the duties. If anything, go up 1 model on the center channel.

Which is why you need a center channel like this one

Note that's a raw MDF prototype and those are 4 7" Atom drivers.

Has anybody had experience with a/v stuff from NAD, Adcom or Rotel?

I've not had any personal experience with those brands. They're usually a little more money and they tend to have a few less bells and whistles than the big Japanese brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    Which is why you need a center channel like this one

Note that's a raw MDF prototype and those are 4 7" Atom drivers.

That is yours I take it? considering the image was taken hours ago...

Did you have someone else make it for you?

I was thinking of building this one:

http://www.rawacoustics.com/item__AP..._kit_,802.html

Quote Originally Posted by ddrueding View Post
    That is yours I take it? considering the image was taken hours ago...
    No, it's not mine. It's a prototype of an Onix Reference 200 center channel that will be sold exclusively in the US by AV123.

Well, I just purchased a pair of these:

RS450

They will replace my ailing rear speakers.

Very nice Buck. What are you using for fronts/center?

Embarrassingly, these two speakers will be, by far, the most superior in my setup. The fronts are old Magnavox bookshelf speakers (I only have room for small book shelf speakers in the front) and the center is a Klipsh. The center speaker was a gift for some web work. Although it is a few years old, as a center, it does quite well for movie watching because of its bright sound. This contrasts nicely with the bookshelf speakers that seem to have a narrow frequency range and my 10" active subwoofer that can shake down the house.

When I listen to music, I use all front/rear left/right speakers. That is why the one rear blew out. It wasn't designed as a stereo speaker, if that makes sense. Anyway, those rosewood beasties should look nice and sound superb. I may just want to turn around the other way now!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Well, I just purchased a pair of these:

RS450

They will replace my ailing rear speakers.
    Uh oh... Another Rocket owner...

You'll love 'em!

You could have gotten in on some of these specials Buck and gotten a full 5.1 or 7.1 setup...

http://www.av123.com/specials.php

Some of those deals are nice, but I can't afford to spend that much money. Plus, I have no where to put more Rocket speakers. They won't fit in my book shelf, and the floor won't work either. But, I look forward to my new pair!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Some of those deals are nice, but I can't afford to spend that much money. Plus, I have no where to put more Rocket speakers. They won't fit in my book shelf, and the floor won't work either.
    Wimp!!!

You could mount RSS300's on the walls, and stuff "bigfoot" somewhere. You're not supposed to let something silly like room layout or money dictate what you buy, or where you put it. That's just not the American way!

HA!

What I'd really like is a pair of RS1000s facing me with a Rocket Twin UFW-12 tucked away so that my entire block of condos can have the privilege of hearing Boston's Walk On medley. It'll also help scare the termites away.

New project....

One of the places I teach tango is at a church downtown. We rent their 6000 sq. ft. ballroom, and they provide quite possibly the worst stage speakers ever. To top it all off, the room (roughly 60'x100'x30' ceilings) has very serious reverberation/echo issues.

If I had a budget of, say, $1000; could I get some speakers/amp/stands that would work? All audio is from a pair of laptops with external sound cards, so those are the only inputs I need.

That's a rather large room.

Perhaps something from here:

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/

Thye have a lot of experience with larger venues.

But it will be over $1000.

Pradeep,

Their smallest speaker is 2,000W; and is recommended in arrays of 4. I think they are a little big for my needs.

Though their 40kW subwoofer looks very cool. 105dB @ 250 meters.

Whilst they make take up to 2000W, you will notice that they are all extremely efficient designs. I.e it doesn't take much power at all to get extremely high volumes. They do make a couple of active speakers (amps built-in) which should pair up with your sounds cards. Some of their speakers are quite directional, i.e. you can "point" the sound so that it somewhat limited to a certain area.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danley_manor.htm

Obviously a larger system than you contemplate but shows what is possible.

Storage Freak
    Without knowing how feasible this is in your situation, my first inclination is to address the acoustic problems of your room first, then tackle the speakers. As bad as you think those speakers are, the room typically has a greater impact on sound than your speakers. IMO, no matter how good your speakers are, a really live, resonant room with poor acoustics can still make them sound like crap.

Even something as simple as those movable curtain or velour on metal tube partitions. Or hanging rugs or blankets on the walls. Something soft or upholstered to absorb the standing waves before they reflect off the walls. You can't do anything about the ceiling or the floor (unless you can convince them to carpet the hall), so you have to focus on the walls. All you need to do is partially cover / block 2 walls (one on each axis).

I don't know if you can build some foldable sound absorbers and leave them there between classes, but if you can that might be a good approach.

Some DIY acoustic treatment ideas from one of the original cheapskate (as in, he doesn't like paying $$ to buy things retail for something he can build himself for a fraction of the price) DIY audio guys on the net:

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a.htm
    Desktop: C2Q 9550 on Asus P5Q-E, 8 GB G.Skill DDR2-1000, 160 GB Intel X-25M, 2 TB HGST 7K3000, nV GF 7300LE, BenQ FP241W calibrated & profiled, Vista 64, Synology DS409 NAS w/ 2x WD15EADS in RAID1

e_dawg,

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I've spent the last hour reading about the DIY panels...very interesting.

Unfortunately, we have no storage space at the location and we all drive hatchbacks. So anything sufficiently large would be impractical.

Storage Freak
    Just found that one of the biggest upgrades you can make to your sound is to clean your ears. Seriously.

Went to the doctor yesterday because my eustachian tubes felt plugged up. It's not uncommon for that to happen to me around this time of the year due to allergies. But upon inspection, he found that I had copious amounts of wax buildup that was causing some of the problems and wanted to clean my ears out first.

In came the nurse with a big syringe and a bowl of warm water. After giving my ears what amounts to a pressure wash, I could see half a dozen small pieces of wax in the rinse water that were gumming up my ears.

Lo and behold, I could hear much better through my right ear, and the left side was better, but not as good in comparison to my right ear. I still feel that my eustachian tubes are somewhat congested (although better than before), but what a difference in my hearing. Even quieter things (like typing and mouse clicks) seem noticeably louder now and high-frequencies come through startlingly (and sometimes excessively) clear. I am taking an antihistamine, decongestant, and flonase to reduce the inflammation and congestion.

If you haven't had your ears cleaned in a while, I recommend asking your doctor to take a look and see if you need cleaning next time you go for a checkup. Some people need regular cleanings, some people will never need it. It depends. If you're the kind that does, it will make a noticeable difference to your hearing.
    Desktop: C2Q 9550 on Asus P5Q-E, 8 GB G.Skill DDR2-1000, 160 GB Intel X-25M, 2 TB HGST 7K3000, nV GF 7300LE, BenQ FP241W calibrated & profiled, Vista 64, Synology DS409 NAS w/ 2x WD15EADS in RAID1

I'd be tempted, but my hearing is already appreciably better than my GFs, so I need to talk loud and wach movies loud regardless.

Xmas '97 Storage Is My Life P5-133XL's Avatar
    I would really like to get rid of speaker-wire: Any recomendations for amplified speakers with multi-channel transmitter/reciever setup?

Just bought some Richter PM-401's. Coupled with an Onkyo TX-SR503. First time I've bought audio in a while.

http://www.richter.com.au/framed.htm...om.au/rp01.htm

My intent was for DVD surround, and to listen to music. Damn that was hard. Booming surround and clear speech had music much too "bright". The setup is a reasonable compromise. Layered production such as Monaco/New Order sounds tremendous. So does acoustic/folky stuff, though a little bright. Think REM's Automatic for the People. Now I've just got to wire the rear surrounds...
    It's good to be king

Quote Originally Posted by LiamC View Post
    ow I've just got to wire the rear surrounds...
    I've been too lazy to do that for the last several months. I got a 7.1 system and the rear/side 4 speakers are still sitting on top of my front L&R channels.

I listened to the Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers yesterday. They were absolutely amazing. If I had $3k to spend on a pair of speakers, they would be at the top of my list.

Those are really beautiful speakers.

I'm considering the Harman/Kardon AVR 445 receiver. Does anyone have any opinions? I can get it for around $570 shipped.

Storage Freak
    Looks hot. Should be decent for sound quality. h/k is a cut above the mass market consumer stuff like Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, Sherwood, et al.

How about compared with the Onkyo TX-SR674?

Fatwah on Western Digital Fixture Mercutio's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of Onkyo/Integra equipment and that particular unit has pretty much every feature you'll actually use built into it. Net-Tune is kind of OK but since my receivers are all hooked up to PCs that I don't ever turn off.

Another nice thing is that most Onkyo receivers carry a two year factory warranty.

One thing that you may or may not care about is if the receiver can playback/decode multi-channel audio via HDMI, or whether it only switches the video/audio. This would be especially relevant if you have a PS 3 or other HD playback device that only outputs multi-channel HD audio via HDMI.

Quote Originally Posted by e_dawg View Post
    Looks hot. Should be decent for sound quality. h/k is a cut above the mass market consumer stuff like Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, Sherwood, et al.
    Till a few years ago, Sherwood (actually it's Korean parent) used to build the stuff for HK, and some other well known brands.

Thread Information