Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Audio Equipment

...and of course, your system costs 4x as much...
    Work1: i7-5930K@4.57Ghz, 64GB, 512GB Samsung XP941, 2x 290X
    Home1: i7-6700k@4.4Ghz, 32GB@3Ghz, 2x SM951, 2x Titan X
    Home2: i7-4960X@4.2GHz, 64GB, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro, Quadro something

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by ddrueding View Post
    ...and of course, your system costs 4x as much...
    Well, I prefer the Rockets to the Ref's due to their treble characteristics, not due to price. I like my RS1000s better than the Ref 3, so it's not really a $$$ issue here. I really like my X-LS bookshelves too, and they're cheap.

What other equipment are you considering?

After looking at everything and filling shopping carts from all kinds of stores, I've decided that what I want for my place is a pair of speakers (probably with a sub later) that can play from my one source (computer). My current listening position is ~1m from each speaker, with them ~1.5m apart. This is unlikely to change. I don't believe that digital conversion for the 3' from CPU to reciever is worth the extra crap I'd need to buy.

I'm doing a significant amount of work on home theateres in general these days (for clients), but (for me) I just want to listen to my music.

I don't believe that digital conversion for the 3' from CPU to reciever is worth the extra crap I'd need to buy.
    Just a soundcard with a really clean 2 channel output like the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 to feed the external amp.

Auzentech just came out with another expensive soundcard, the Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 with a MSRP of $200. I need someone who knows more than me to explain why, for my purposes, its better than the X-Plosion I have now, or the M-Audio Revolution mentioned above.

If you're only doing 2 channel, you don't. Heck, the Revolution 5.1 might be just the ticket (it's a little cheaper than the 7.1 and you don't need the extra channels).

Learning Storage Performance Onomatopoeic's Avatar

How's this look for some hi-fi audio on a budget!?!

http://www.geocities.com/qgap/Pipe_Dreams.html

Je n'existe pas! Hot Coffee Mod Installed!

Does anyone have experience with current model Polk speakers? I've been reading about some of their products, such as the Monitor 60 fronts, CS2 center, and PSW1000 subwoofer. They seem like top quality speakers, especially for home theater use. My curiousity lies with the difference between top quality speakers. I'm sure individually, each speaker has its strength and weakness, but when combined as a 5.1 setup, I expect that those are usually all ironed out. For example, some say that the Polk Monitor 60 fronts lack bass, but once you hook up a dual 10" driver subwoofer, the weakness in the fronts has been more than compensated. So, where would perceived weaknesses in a complete setup be, or is there none, and the sound difference is just minor? I expect they will all sound crisp, clear, dynamic, and powerful. When quality and prices are similar, sound must be very subjective.
    Do wat du wolt, die Lut snakt doch.

I'm not too familiar with current Polk speakers. Generally, you can get more bang for your buck factory direct with some online brands.

Storage Freak
    A couple of the guys I used to talk to in the old CompuServe audio forums said good things about Polk speakers in the late 90's. No idea about their current stuff. Amongst American speakers, you could certainly do worse.

Just heard Totem Acoustic speakers the other day. On demo were the Sttaf small towers and the Dreamcatcher sub. All I have to say is "wow". The dyanmics remind me of Thiel speakers, and they have the imaging and natural sound of B&W Matrix 805's.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/

The DreamCatcher 5.1 HT system was well reviewed in Andrew Marshall's Audio Ideas Guide:

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/l...amcatcher.html
    Desktop: C2Q 9550 on Asus P5Q-E, 8 GB G.Skill DDR2-1000, 160 GB Intel X-25M, 2 TB HGST 7K3000, nV GF 7300LE, BenQ FP241W calibrated & profiled, Vista 64, Synology DS409 NAS w/ 2x WD15EADS in RAID1

I was just screwing around on my computer and decided to enable the on-board "HD Audio" Azalia stuff...It's really, really good. My roomate helped me do a double-blind test of it against my Auzentech X-Plosion card; neither of us could tell the difference reliably.

Fatwah on Western Digital Fixture Mercutio's Avatar
    Try it with surround. It'll be much, much easier.

No doubt. I'm sure there is a reason the X-Plosion costs what it does; I'm just observing that I'm not it. For regular 2-channel music, I really can't hear the difference.

I want a sound card that can connect to a video card for HDMI output. Then the PC could output uncompressed 24/96kHz audio instead of sticking us with analog outputs, or DD and DTS encoded surround sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    I want a sound card that can connect to a video card for HDMI output. Then the PC could output uncompressed 24/96kHz audio instead of sticking us with analog outputs, or DD and DTS encoded surround sound.
    I'm betting you'll see an ATI All-in-Wonder card that has a sound card built-in before you see some kind of interface between Audio and Video my different mfgs. Most likely of all would probably be an after market box that injects audio into the HDMI line.

Apparently, All-in-Wonder was one of the first things to be tossed after the ATI/AMD merger.

So... no, it won't be that.

Most likely of all would probably be an after market box that injects audio into the HDMI line.
    I'm not sure about that. There's no way to get multiple channels of 24/96 audio from a PC into an external box that would put audio on the HDMI cable.

I wonder if nVidia will use some of their Soundstorm expertise to put audio on some of their video cards for HDMI video and audio output?

It's all about the fact that HDCP wants "single trusted source" for everything. I have a feeling that it'll be a while before our options are what they actually should be.

Storage is cool
    Where would the audio go from the HDMI cable anyway? I've yet to see a TV with speakers that I think you'd be able to tell the difference between analog and uncompressed digital audio on, or one with a really nice built in 8 channel amp. If it's going to a separate amplifier I would have thought getting the audio out of the HDMI cable would be no less challenging than getting it in was. If you have an amp that can take a HDMI connector then you probably want to have one on your PC just for audio and a separate one for video so I'd say it's pretty much just up to the sound card makers.

I think that it won't be too long before displays start coming with Digital Audio Projectors rather than speaker setups. Seems like a decent enough fit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Where would the audio go from the HDMI cable anyway? I've yet to see a TV with speakers that I think you'd be able to tell the difference between analog and uncompressed digital audio on, or one with a really nice built in 8 channel amp. If it's going to a separate amplifier I would have thought getting the audio out of the HDMI cable would be no less challenging than getting it in was. If you have an amp that can take a HDMI connector then you probably want to have one on your PC just for audio and a separate one for video so I'd say it's pretty much just up to the sound card makers.
    It would go into my Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX-84TXSi) that has 4 HDMI inputs (for audio and video).

The idea is to have HDMI from the device (blu-ray, hd-dvd, pc) going into a receiver (which can playback/decode the audio). Then another HDMI cable from the receiver to the display device.

Some of the HDCP enabled video cards allow you to "add" S/PDIF to the HDMI output.

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2874&p=5

It's only a matter of time until uncompressed audio is routed thru as well. At which time all the Creative overpriced turd will become even less valuable (is it possible?)

Storage is cool
    I think a separate HDMI for your sound card would work just as well and be easier to implement than passing the audio to the video card. I guess it wouldn't help if you wanted the convenience of a single cable and were happy to use the TVs speakers, but it's not that much more convenient...

I think a separate HDMI for your sound card would work just as well and be easier to implement than passing the audio to the video card. I guess it wouldn't help if you wanted the convenience of a single cable and were happy to use the TVs speakers, but it's not that much more convenient...
    That won't work though. The audio and video need to be on the same HDMI cable. Besides, the audio is inserted in the horizontal and vertical blanking interval of the video signal.

And, I'm not using my TV's speakers. My 7.1 Receiver/Amp takes the audio off the HDMI cable and amplifies it after processing with it's 7 140W amps. It also passes the video signal onto the TV via HDMI.

Storage is cool
    Hmm O.K I knew HDMI wasn't really here to help, I didn't think it was quite that inflexible...

Hmm O.K I knew HDMI wasn't really here to help, I didn't think it was quite that inflexible...
    How do you figure? 1 cable carries up to 8 channel 24bit 96kHz audio and the HD video together. It's pretty simple. I have my DVD player connected to my receiver with 1 cable. I have 1 cable from my receiver to my TV.

I'm just waiting for a 1 cable solution from the PC that offers better audio fidelity than SPDIF.

Storage is cool
    I guess it just seems to me that HDMI is there to limit your options as much as it is to reduce the number of cables you need. I don't really want to have a heap of separate cables going all over the place but I'd rather have more control of how my system was set up than have a single cable solution that defines what I have to do...

Well, if everything had HDMI, then it wouldn't be that big a problem.

... but I'd rather have more control of how my system was set up than have a single cable solution that defines what I have to do...
    Can you give me an example of how HDMI limits what you could do? HDMI doesn't take away options that you currently have now, it just gives you some new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
    Except for the DRM...
    DVI +HDCP has the same "DRM" in it. And, we can whine all day long about HDCP, but it doesn't interfere with anything I'm trying to do. AACS and CSS were PITA DRM, but HDCP is pretty much transparent.

Storage is cool
    It is now but we've yet to see any real enforcement. The thing that worries me about HDMI and HDCP is that they have DRM options that can be switched on later (I.E the enforcement of lower resolutions for some devices).

The encryption couldn't help the difficulty with splitting the audio and video. I would expect that if they dropped the encryption then the processing power saved could either make HD devices cheaper or maybe even be used to implement some sort of lossless compression that might reduce the bandwidth requirements enough to allow for longer cables.

HDMI doesn't allow me to have my computer connected to a TV in another room (Which I've been known to do) it doesn't give me a great deal of flexability with picking a seperate sound and video device to suit my needs, or building one from off the shelf componants (I mean amplifiers and speakers rather than mosfets and capacitors). I doubt a whole heap of audio equipment will be supporting HDMI at all since it can't easily (or practically may be a better word) be used as a dedicated audio only technology so I'm left with (potentially) a really nice hifi for playing my music which isn't interoperable with my surround sound system or HD TV.

I don't know, to be honest (and as you might have guessed) I haven't done all that much research on the technology, if I can use it to plug my Wii into my TV (When and if I buy a Wii and a TV) then that's the extent of the use I'll have for it. But it seems like a technology that's potentially quite good at exactly what it's designed for but which is almost useless if there is no specific hardware which is purpose-built and certified by the relevant working groups (Read MPAA) for your exact situation. I.E your amp supports HDMI pass through, that's not the same as having HDMI inputs and outputs, you can't get a CD player with HDMI output and plug it in, you can't hook up your HDMI portable music player (unless it's a video player I guess), and sure that's not what HDMI is for and your amp probably has other inputs, but if the move in the industry is towards HDMI only, and if the MPAA pretty much control the HDMI standard (And the ability of any manufacturer to implement it via licensing and legally enforced copy protection systems) then it seems like a lot of consumer choice could be put in the hands of people with a vested interest in, and a track record of having no scruples about, limiting that choice. And that would suck.

I don't understand what you mean by not being able to have your PC hooked up to your TV in another room?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10240&style=

There's cables for 50ft+

Almost every A/V receiver now coming to the market has some type of HDMI switching.

You definitely won't need HDMI to hook up your Wii, it only does 480p. The best cabling available is component output. HDMI is designed to transmit HD video (plus a ton of channels of up to uncompressed audio). If your needs are met with good ole S/PDIF via toslink or co-ax, then there is no need for you to worry.

Well, now that my priorities have been reassigned, I've just ordered one of these. I hope all will be well.

Any comments on how the quality of the sound will compare to my dear Klipsch 2.1?

A little light in the digital input department.
    Your Klipsches will sound louder and boomier. You are probably used to that. You can still use them for your front left and right speakers if you really want though.

Eh, just bought this from the local Fry's for $20 more. Impulse buys are so much fun.

...and in less than 2 hours, crutchfield was able to charge my card, prep the order and ship it! Now I have to refuse the order and get my money back...eventually.

Why do that? Take the one they ship you back to Fry's.

I have no current plans of purchasing audio equipment, however, I do have some audio equipment questions.

While looking at different brands and devices, I've come across a setup using a B&K Reference 50 S2 processor and a B&K Reference 200.7 S2 amp. Any opinions on that equipment?

It's pretty good, but it's a tad dated on the feature set...

It's pretty good, but it's a tad dated on the feature set...
    Thanks for the quick response. What type of setup would be more current?

Why do that? Take the one they ship you back to Fry's.
    I would, but the instant gratification potential casued me to splurge on the 7-channel, better version. (3 optical SPDIF ins!)

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. What type of setup would be more current?
    Well, it's missing HDMI video switching and probably more importantly HDMI audio capability.

I am planning on buying some rear speakers and a new center channel.

Currently I have a pair of NHT 2.5i's for my fronts and an old center channel that I am not satisfied with.

My couch is up against the rear wall, so I plan on wall mounting either a pair of these or a pair of these.

I think I will get this for my center.

I am not sure how these will match up with the 2.5i's. Also, I am not sure how the the rear speakers will sounds when wall mounted above the couch. Something like this would work for the mounts.

Anyone have any comments or a better solution than what I have come up with?

Perhaps using something like this would provide a better surround effect.

My surround right/left and rear right/left speakers have mounting points, but the front right/left and center channel don't. I'll have to figure something out, they are kinda heavy.

Of course there is always the <cough>nicer</cough> speakers before you hit plasma.

Should I be trying to get a 50' optical cable to connect my X-Plosion to my reciever? Or will a simple coax connection be enough?

Those say they are best for side-wall mounting. I am planning on mounting them behind the couch or slightly to the side on the same wall as the couch.

Thread Information