Page 347 of 347 FirstFirst ... 247297337338339340341342343344345346347
Results 17,301 to 17,345 of 17345

Thread: Something Random

I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    None are allowed in my zone, but there are a number of illicit explosions.
    It's really rough on pets.
    --Lunar

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMist View Post
    It's really rough on pets.
    And how many pets do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    And how many pets do you have?
    None at this point. After the last one perished a few years ago I was reluctant due to my condition.
    Now that I'm in much better shape I've been thinking about getting a small purebred (indoor dog) that would be highly likely to find a good home if it outlasted me.
    --Lunar

Wotty wot wot. Storage Is My Life Chewy509's Avatar
    I've been thinking about getting a small purebred (indoor dog) that would be highly likely to find a good home if it outlasted me.
    Any preferences on breeds? (max size)?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

None at this point. After the last one perished a few years ago I was reluctant due to my condition.
    Now that I'm in much better shape I've been thinking about getting a small purebred (indoor dog) that would be highly likely to find a good home if it outlasted me.
    What do you have against a mutt? They're usually much more healthy and have less genetic problems.

Sure, but you are not getting my point.
    --Lunar

Sure, but you are not getting my point.
    Oh, I got your point. I don't see why a purebred would be easier to adopt off after you assume room temp.

That's what I've been told.
    Anyway, I will be incarcerated at a thousand degrees or whatever as an economic measure.
    --Lunar

That's what I've been told.
    Anyway, I will be incarcerated at a thousand degrees or whatever as an economic measure.
    Incinerated maybe?

Incinerated maybe?
    Yeah. Blasted Androids.
    --Lunar

Somebody suggested I take Geritol.
    Friday 13th is a bad one.
    --Lunar

Are you pregnant?

If the somebody is a doctor who is looking at your blood test results, the advice makes sense. Otherwise it's just more popular stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by time View Post
    Are you pregnant?

If the somebody is a doctor who is looking at your blood test results, the advice makes sense. Otherwise it's just more popular stupidity.
    No, that it not what they mean.
    --Lunar

Allergic to Sunlight Storage is cool sedrosken's Avatar
    Honestly my biggest disappointment as usual with this Radeon is the drivers.

I'm stuck on 17.3.3 as it's the latest that, y'know, works and has functional Vulkan. 18.x causes intense microfreezing at the Windows desktop -- checking Afterburner it seems to be forcing my core clock down to 300MHz max. That would seem to imply Wattman is causing issues, this is fine as I use Afterburner for everything and could just disable it... if I can somehow finagle that.
    Arwic: P8Z77-WS, 3570K (4.3GHz, 1.23v), 16GB DDR3-1600 (1800 CL11, 1.55v), Sapphire Nitro RX480 8GB, 256GB SSD/8TB HDD, EVGA 600BQ, LTSB x64
    Al-Jalima: Gateway2000 OEM, PPro 180MHz/256K L2, 128MB ECC EDO (2x72pin SIMMs), TNT2M64 32MB, ES1868F, 3C-905B, NEC USB2 card, 32GB SD->IDE, SS-350ET, DOS6.22+WFW3.11/NT4
    Samsur: SL-75KAV, Thunderbird 1333, 768MB PC133, GeForce4Ti4200 64MB, Vortex 2, 3C-905C, 320GB HDD, SS-350ET, WinME(DOS mode patch, USP, KernelEx)

What exactly is the computer not doing for your purposes using the last stable drivers? What will be lost if you wait for the newer drivers to mature?
    --Lunar

The latest stable (in fact, the one they *recommend*) is 18.5.1. Latest "optional" is 18.7.1 at the time of writing. I am stuck on 17.3.3.
    Arwic: P8Z77-WS, 3570K (4.3GHz, 1.23v), 16GB DDR3-1600 (1800 CL11, 1.55v), Sapphire Nitro RX480 8GB, 256GB SSD/8TB HDD, EVGA 600BQ, LTSB x64
    Al-Jalima: Gateway2000 OEM, PPro 180MHz/256K L2, 128MB ECC EDO (2x72pin SIMMs), TNT2M64 32MB, ES1868F, 3C-905B, NEC USB2 card, 32GB SD->IDE, SS-350ET, DOS6.22+WFW3.11/NT4
    Samsur: SL-75KAV, Thunderbird 1333, 768MB PC133, GeForce4Ti4200 64MB, Vortex 2, 3C-905C, 320GB HDD, SS-350ET, WinME(DOS mode patch, USP, KernelEx)

I got to fix my Epson Perfection 3170 Photo flatbed scanner this morning after it unexpected died. A piece of plastic that holds the spring loaded sliding tensioner (for the drive belt) captive on one side fatigued and broke off leaving the belt with no tension. I drilled a hole in the plastic case and used a small machine screw and two nuts to hold it captive, but able to slide.

Turns out the problem I had with my board where I couldn't do dual-channel was due to a CPU mis-seating. How it worked as it was I don't know, but I corrected the problem and am now running in dual-channel.

Buechner, Buechner...
    --Lunar

Home Depot's website is something special. It runs more scripts than pretty much any website I've ever seen. I try to sign in checkout and it tells me my password and e-mail don't match their records. I do a password reset, they e-mail the verification code, I enter the verification code, it prompts me for my new password, I enter it, and it tells me I can't use the password I entered because it matches my old one... The one it wouldn't take (I made several attempts). So I cancel the password change and magically I'm signed in and can checkout. Unreal... And this was after I initially couldn't even get to the point of signing in in Firefox even though all scripts were allowed and I had the adblocker disabled. Clicking checkout would just dump you back to the cart screen.

Oh, and the website pretty much doesn't work at all in Edge. I tried that after my initial problems with Firefox. I could start the checkout process, it didn't like my password, I tried to reset it, and it was telling me the verification code was wrong even though it wasn't. I'm pretty sure I can handle copying and pasting a 6 number code, or typing it in correctly.

If their deal of the day hadn't been worth buying I would have given up.

Home Depot's website is something special. It runs more scripts than pretty much any website I've ever seen. I try to sign in checkout and it tells me my password and e-mail don't match their records. I do a password reset, they e-mail the verification code, I enter the verification code, it prompts me for my new password, I enter it, and it tells me I can't use the password I entered because it matches my old one... The one it wouldn't take (I made several attempts). So I cancel the password change and magically I'm signed in and can checkout. Unreal... And this was after I initially couldn't even get to the point of signing in in Firefox even though all scripts were allowed and I had the adblocker disabled. Clicking checkout would just dump you back to the cart screen.

Oh, and the website pretty much doesn't work at all in Edge. I tried that after my initial problems with Firefox. I could start the checkout process, it didn't like my password, I tried to reset it, and it was telling me the verification code was wrong even though it wasn't. I'm pretty sure I can handle copying and pasting a 6 number code, or typing it in correctly.

If their deal of the day hadn't been worth buying I would have given up.
    I resort to the smartphone for some sites now. It should work with the current MS though.
    --Lunar

Wannabe Storage Freak
    Home Depot's website is something special.
    It is. And it isn't. And that's sad.

You would think by now, in the late 2010s that eCommerce sites would have their shit together and "just-f'ing-work" when you are trying to give them money. I had trouble with Big5Sportinggoods thanking me for my order, but then the order never 'went through." I've had Newegg 'error-out' and the website 'freeze,' but everything ended up 'working' and order was completed. BestBuy seems to have multiple accounts for me with reward points randomly going to different accounts. Etc, etc, etc.

Not inspiring much confidence in their sites. At all.

How it should work. A million scripts/adds/trackers/whatevers while you are surfing site, adding to shopping cart, etc, is shitty, but semi-acceptable ---(that shit ain't never going to go away)---, BUT ONCE YOU GO TO CHECKOUT......all that shit should end and you should only have 1-3 scripts running and you get a clear warning, before you enter tons of info, to enable said scripts. Site should check your browser type/version and work with all browsers that are at least semi-modern. Sites should know people are running Ad-blockers, script-blockers, Ghostery-type-tracker-blockers, etc, etc and plan for those and work with those. And then simply just work. Give a clear indication that transaction was successful on screen, and send an email saying transaction was completed successfully. Done.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

- Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

Quote Originally Posted by snowhiker View Post
    You would think by now, in the late 2010s that eCommerce sites would have their shit together and "just-f'ing-work" when you are trying to give them money. I had trouble with Big5Sportinggoods thanking me for my order, but then the order never 'went through." I've had Newegg 'error-out' and the website 'freeze,' but everything ended up 'working' and order was completed. BestBuy seems to have multiple accounts for me with reward points randomly going to different accounts. Etc, etc, etc.
    Frankly, the sites worked better 5 years ago before they larded up everything with hooks into social media platforms and the like. We're going backward.

Wannabe Storage Freak
    ^^^ Agreed.

Add Levi.com to the list of shitty sites! What a cluster fuck that site is.

None of the local stores sell the Levi 550 jeans I like to wear so I have to order online. Usually $60/each + tax/shipping. On sale yesterday for $35/each and FREE shipping. Awesome.

Nope. I can't log in because my password doesn't work. I clearly write these passwords down then log in/out of the site a few times to ensure it works and I wrote password down correctly. Password is bad. OK whatever. Do the password reset thing. The site NEVER SENDS ME A PW-RESET EMAIL. I checked spam folder, etc. NOTHING. 12 HOURS after I sent request for a reset and still NO PW-reset email. Closed Firefox and tried IE. Still can't get PW reset email. WTF. OK gotta leave for work soon so checkout as guest. Enter all my CC info, address, etc click the "submit order" button and site takes a shit and just sits there. I do get an email from my bank saying a charge was authorized on my CC, but no "order complete" email. Total cluster fuck of a site.

/end rant
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

Frankly, the sites worked better 5 years ago before they larded up everything with hooks into social media platforms and the like. We're going backward.
    I'd say about 2010 or so was the peak and subsequently the internet has been going downhill. I blame the stupid smartphones and the tiny screens. Now every site is full of giant images (often unrelated to the actual product) and very little text and everything must be scrolled for miles. Yet there is still is very little useful info.

Last week I was ordering online and the damn script keep giving an error for the billing address which I know to be correct. Fortunately that company still had a phone number, but even so it took a while to reach a human.
    --Lunar

I'd say about 2010 or so was the peak and subsequently the internet has been going downhill. I blame the stupid smartphones and the tiny screens. Now every site is full of giant images (often unrelated to the actual product) and very little text and everything must be scrolled for miles. Yet there is still is very little useful info.

Last week I was ordering online and the damn script keep giving an error for the billing address which I know to be correct. Fortunately that company still had a phone number, but even so it took a while to reach a human.
    You can also thank certain mobile devices for expediting the removal of Adobe Flash. Otherwise I agree with others that a large portion of sites today are JavaScript cancer.

I have mixed feelings about that since Flash was easy to disable. Maybe you all can browser block the htlm animations.
    --Lunar

Wotty wot wot. Storage Is My Life Chewy509's Avatar
    Saw this posted via slashdot: https://pxlnv.com/blog/bullshit-web/

Pretty much fits in / agrees with what has been said about the bloat of "modern web".

./ discussion: https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/0...e-bullshit-web

One also has to wonder if any of the dev's for the various sites have actually read WCAG 2.0 (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0), which gives guidelines on how to make contain available to widest audience, including those that are blind. (eg ajax/javascript are extremely problematic for many screen readers).

Hint: If your site won't render without javascript on, a lot of screen readers don't work.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Wannabe Storage Freak
    Thanks for the links Chewy, I'll check them out.

Fortunately that company still had a phone number, but even so it took a while to reach a human.
    I hate to have to call companies and give an actual person my CC info as it's tempting for the person making $8.50/hour to take your CC info and buy shit for themselves.

Of course I just did what I said I don't like to do. I called Levi and gave a human my CC/exp/CVV numbers over the phone. I asked about my order and its status. She said it was still in their queue 'pending' but not processed. She knew exactly what I ordered, the WxL, and color. I told her I wanted the promotional offer which included free shipping and she fixed me right up.

She said I should now have a confirmation email in my inbox. It never showed up while on the phone with her. She said the order went through and that she would "manually" send me an email. I got that at least.

I mentioned I never got the PW-reset email so she put in a ticket for that. 2-3 DAYS before anything happens on that front.

facepalm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    You can also thank certain mobile devices for expediting the removal of Adobe Flash. Otherwise I agree with others that a large portion of sites today are JavaScript cancer.
    Agreed as far as flash goes. The brokerage firm I use to sell my vested stocks used to be all flash. That was a nightmare. Had to print out forms and FAX them in as the site would not accept them. PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by sedrosken View Post
    The latest stable (in fact, the one they *recommend*) is 18.5.1. Latest "optional" is 18.7.1 at the time of writing. I am stuck on 17.3.3.
    I have found more on this issue -- it only occurs when I have more than one display connected. Seems to be related to an additional dummy display rapidly connecting/disconnecting? Unsure about that. In any case, 18.3.4 does not suffer from this issue and is therefore what I am now running.

Quote Originally Posted by sedrosken View Post
    I have found more on this issue -- it only occurs when I have more than one display connected. Seems to be related to an additional dummy display rapidly connecting/disconnecting? Unsure about that. In any case, 18.3.4 does not suffer from this issue and is therefore what I am now running.
    Then don't connect two monitors.
    --Lunar

Now they are spamming me with the oxygen concentrator, cataract cures, and reversible mortgage.
    --Lunar

Maybe you need a Pi-hole.

Probably. Does it work on the emails?
    --Lunar

I doubt it. Is that what you're having issues with? You may need a better spam filter setup.

I bought a CD on eBay for less than $5 (including shipping). The seller included a full blown thank you note in a card & envelope and everything. It was a little over the top with the thanks and flowery prose to the point of being a little awkward. I might have to post a picture of it later.

Then don't connect two monitors.
    After having a tri-head setup for just over a year, I'm never, ever, ever going back. One display feels like going back to the stone age.

I used to think that way about multiple monitors. Now I have one big monitor and don't care about multiple monitors any more.

I used to think that way about multiple monitors. Now I have one big monitor and don't care about multiple monitors any more.
    I agree. I know people in the office often use two monitors, but they are HD only. I see the value for reviewers of different materials often from different systems. I still use a printer though.
    Given there are cheap enough 4K displays, I would think that the human eyeball vision is fairly exceeded already at the pixel level.
    I'd probably get a 32" 4K if I did not need to see the pixels for various older programs.
    --Lunar

I can easily see the pixels on a 32" 4K monitor. The pixel pitch is 0.185 mm (137 ppi). I'd need to get a 24" or smaller 4K monitor to not notice pixelation but I'm not interested in 4K monitors until they start making them in 4:3, not 16:9. 2880x2160, maybe in a 20" or 21" size, would be perfect for me. OLED would be even better. I'm not holding my breath, so I recently picked up some LP2065s on eBay. Two for $30 each, and two without bases for $20 each. 1600x1200 is the highest readily available resolution in 4:3 monitors. They made 2048x1536, but mainly for medical use. Those still cost a fortune even second hand. These are IPS monitors. Great color, great response time. 3 of the 4 had very low hours on the backlights ( 5219, 1972, and 440). Considering the backlight is rated for 50K hours, these are essentially brand new. I figure it's going to be a while, if ever, before my ideal monitors exist, so might as well get decent 4:3's now since I can get them on the cheap. I know monitors will eventually go OLED but it's an open question if 4:3 will ever come back into style. The fact they're being used in tablets at least gives me hope. I can actually pick up an Apple 9.7" 2048x1536 tablet display on eBay for under $100 but that's a little too small for my needs.
    We shall turn you into gas and pour you into the stratosphere. Nothing will remain of you, not a name in a register, not a memory in a living brain. You will be annihilated in the past as well as in the future. You will never have existed.

I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be.
    -Planet of the Apes ( 1968 )

Multiple monitors are all about ergonomics. Right now I'm using two displays, one in front and the other angled on my right. Both displays are 1600x1200, or will be as soon as I put an LP2065 in place of my Viewsonic VA912b. In theory I would have the same number and size pixels with a (very wide aspect) 3200x1200 34" monitor. The problems with that are twofold. One, such a monitor would be 32" wide plus the bezel. I just don't have that much horizontal space. Two, I would be seeing the sides of the monitor at an angle. With my present setup I turn my head and see the second monitor head-on.

This concept can be carried even further if I had the space and means to mount more monitors. I could put another monitor angled on my left. I could put three more monitors right above these and angle them so I see them head on when I turn my head up. Of course, I don't need that much workspace but if I did such a setup would be preferably to, say, the equivalent 4800x2400 ~54" single monitor, most of which would be viewed at odd angles given my normal viewing distance.
    We shall turn you into gas and pour you into the stratosphere. Nothing will remain of you, not a name in a register, not a memory in a living brain. You will be annihilated in the past as well as in the future. You will never have existed.

I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    Multiple monitors are all about ergonomics. Right now I'm using two displays, one in front and the other angled on my right. Both displays are 1600x1200, or will be as soon as I put an LP2065 in place of my Viewsonic VA912b. In theory I would have the same number and size pixels with a (very wide aspect) 3200x1200 34" monitor. The problems with that are twofold. One, such a monitor would be 32" wide plus the bezel. I just don't have that much horizontal space. Two, I would be seeing the sides of the monitor at an angle. With my present setup I turn my head and see the second monitor head-on.

This concept can be carried even further if I had the space and means to mount more monitors. I could put another monitor angled on my left. I could put three more monitors right above these and angle them so I see them head on when I turn my head up. Of course, I don't need that much workspace but if I did such a setup would be preferably to, say, the equivalent 4800x2400 ~54" single monitor, most of which would be viewed at odd angles given my normal viewing distance.
    Yeah, that is typical studio or control center setup. Are you monitoring something and need to see all of them at the same time?
    --Lunar

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    I can easily see the pixels on a 32" 4K monitor. The pixel pitch is 0.185 mm (137 ppi). I'd need to get a 24" or smaller 4K monitor to not notice pixelation but I'm not interested in 4K monitors until they start making them in 4:3, not 16:9. 2880x2160, maybe in a 20" or 21" size, would be perfect for me. OLED would be even better. I'm not holding my breath, so I recently picked up some LP2065s on eBay. Two for $30 each, and two without bases for $20 each. 1600x1200 is the highest readily available resolution in 4:3 monitors. They made 2048x1536, but mainly for medical use. Those still cost a fortune even second hand. These are IPS monitors. Great color, great response time. 3 of the 4 had very low hours on the backlights ( 5219, 1972, and 440). Considering the backlight is rated for 50K hours, these are essentially brand new. I figure it's going to be a while, if ever, before my ideal monitors exist, so might as well get decent 4:3's now since I can get them on the cheap. I know monitors will eventually go OLED but it's an open question if 4:3 will ever come back into style. The fact they're being used in tablets at least gives me hope. I can actually pick up an Apple 9.7" 2048x1536 tablet display on eBay for under $100 but that's a little too small for my needs.
    The distance would have to be so close that I could not see all of the pixels from center to corner without moving my head. I think it would be fine for office use and would consider one if it did not cause policy issues.
    Maybe Sedorkian could do it with his young eyes and not needing multifocal glasses for center vs. corners at close distance.
    --Lunar

Yeah, that is typical studio or control center setup. Are you monitoring something and need to see all of them at the same time?
    No, I would never need a setup like that. I'm just saying if I did, that's the way I would go. My pair of monitors works just fine. Most of the time I'm using the one in front. Sometimes I need to go between two documents open at the same time. That's where two monitors shines.

The distance would have to be so close that I could not see all of the pixels from center to corner without moving my head. I think it would be fine for office use and would consider one if it did not cause policy issues.

I'm nearsighted, so I couldn't have a large monitor so far away that I could see all of it without moving my head. I can't wear glasses for computer work. Very annoying to me. Besides that, my setup doesn't have space to put a monitor any further away from my eyes than about 15". At that distance the 20" 4:3 LP2065 just about fills my field of vision. If I went 16:9 I couldn't go larger than maybe 23" without exceeding my horizontal field of vision. Unfortunately, a 16:9 monitor that small would mean I lose vertical space compared to a 20" 4:3 monitor.

I bought a CD on eBay for less than $5 (including shipping). The seller included a full blown thank you note in a card & envelope and everything. It was a little over the top with the thanks and flowery prose to the point of being a little awkward. I might have to post a picture of it later.
    As promised...

The front and inside. It was personalized, but I removed my name from it. Seems a tad excessive for a sub $5 CD to me.

ebay_thank_you.jpg

Thread Information