Page 335 of 336 FirstFirst ... 235285325326327328329330331332333334335336 LastLast
Results 16,701 to 16,750 of 16782

Thread: Something Random

I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Well that depends on how much interaction there should be between those 12 people.
    --Lunar

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMist View Post
    I have manger level direct reports and some of them have reports. Is that strange?
    I have no idea. None of us have any clue what you do aside from the CIA guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    I have no idea. None of us have any clue what you do aside from the CIA guess.
    I'm not a Certified Internal Auditor, but I am certified through another organization.
    --Lunar

I'm not a Certified Internal Auditor, but I am certified through another organization.
    Central Intelligence Agency?

Central Intelligence Agency?
    No. I'm not involved in the slightest.
    --Lunar

No. I'm not involved in the slightest.
    Is your photography part of you job or just a hobby?

Is your photography part of you job or just a hobby?
    It's unrelated to my function.
    --Lunar

Allergic to Sunlight Storage is cool sedrosken's Avatar
    Ebay prices for DDR3 RAM are ridiculous, but I think I managed to find a decent (sub $100 per kit) listing for a 2x8GB kit that should work with my board and have ample clearance for my CPU cooler if the sheet I cross-referenced is accurate. If it is in fact working with my board I'll grab another of the kits next week when I get paid again for 32GB total, assuming I can. I don't need 32GB right now but I can probably put it to use even if only for caching, and I have a feeling I'll need it sometime soon. I want to get it now while the getting's still semi-sane.

In other news having six whole Nehalem-competitive cores is unreal -- I don't think I've once managed to push this thing to 100% CPU usage since putting it in. I have a feeling that I'll have to become very intimitely acquainted with setting CPU affinity to get proper usage out of the cores, I think it may just be leaving the last two alone. With the higher-clocked DDR3 RAM I plan to OC the FSB to get it to 1600 and push the CPU a bit harder than just 2.8GHz since I now have ample thermal headroom. I think a 230-240MHz FSB clock should do it? I'll be sure to lower the hypertransport ratio to compensate (otherwise it'll run at, what, almost 3GHz itself?) Maybe a slight overvolt will help me. This is my first time messing with overclocking in any serious manner, but I'm not looking to get crazy performance, just push a 1055T to ~1090T levels of performance while actually running my RAM at its rated speed.
    Phone: Moto Z Droid Force (didn't pay for it, can't complain) 32GB, 128GB microSD -- on my uncle's plan with Verizon.
    T450: 4300U, 16GB 3L-1600, HD 4400, 14" 1366x768, 128GB M.2 SSD/320GB SATA HDD, Win10Ent64, 6-cell extended batt (10hr avg)
    Eastham: GA-78LMT-USB3, Phenom II x6 1055T (@ 3.36GHz, +0.02v vcore), 16GB DDR3-1600 (soon 32GB), GT730 2GB GDDR5 (core @ 1.18GHz), 120GB SSD/4TB HDD, EVGA 600BQ, Win10Ent64

Throw a cpu instance of folding on there should be good for burn in testing.

6 whole cores?

You don't need to do squat with affinity when you have 6 cores. If you have 20 cores each with HyperThreading then you may have do something.

I found on the hexacore Gulfton that a few programs were better with the hyperthreader off.
    --Lunar

KY then OK. Next is TN and SC. Arghh.
    --Lunar

Now the Chinese Japanese and Koreans are
    --Lunar

Just wait until the Ethiopians

Just wait until the Ethiopians
    What Ethiopians? I don't know why they sometimes trucnate the posts.
    --Lunar

Serial computer killer Hairy Aussie CougTek's Avatar
    The forum software probably trucnates your posts when it detects too many spelling snafus in order to spare you some embarassment. At least that's my theory.

Just to be sure I'm not misunderstood, like it so easy happens with written communication, I do find your posts entertaining. Some of your typos are true gems.

I used to like watching "House of Cards" on Netflix. It's a very well made TV series. However, even though the latest season has been available for some weeks on Netflix, I haven't even been tempted to watch it yet. Cable news about the White House these days is so much more entertaining. Reality has made an award-winning fictional show boring compared to it.

It's quite a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by CougTek View Post
    The forum software probably trucnates your posts when it detects too many spelling snafus in order to spare you some embarassment. At least that's my theory.
    It seems to be mostly an Androids issue, but not always. Sometimes I am in process of drafting a post with two devices/computers at the same time, which probably is not the best plan.
    --Lunar

I don't know ways happening these days. Every German train I have been on today has been late. And here I thought the trains ran on time.

I don't know ways happening these days. Every German train I have been on today has been late. And here I thought the trains ran on time.
    You work for the Germans? When I was stationed in West Germany the trains were decent, but I think they got worse after the reunification. Once I missed a connection through the Alps and did not have a sleeper.
    I'd assume by now everything in the world is various degrees of inefficient crap. I try at all costs to avoid trains.
    --Lunar

Quote Originally Posted by sdbardwick View Post
    I think it weird, but I've met at least 3 people named Scott Scott, one of which is a cousin.
    It was a Kelly Kelly. It sounds like someone has a speech disorder.
    --Lunar

You work for the Germans? When I was stationed in West Germany the trains were decent, but I think they got worse after the reunification. Once I missed a connection through the Alps and did not have a sleeper.
    I'd assume by now everything in the world is various degrees of inefficient crap. I try at all costs to avoid trains.
    No, I don't work for the Germans. However, I'm in Germany now for two weeks visiting one of the company's German offices. They were all a few minutes late. 5 minutes max, but when your train change is 11 or 12 minutes it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sedrosken View Post
    Ebay prices for DDR3 RAM are ridiculous, but I think I managed to find a decent (sub $100 per kit) listing for a 2x8GB kit that should work with my board and have ample clearance for my CPU cooler if the sheet I cross-referenced is accurate. If it is in fact working with my board I'll grab another of the kits next week when I get paid again for 32GB total, assuming I can. I don't need 32GB right now but I can probably put it to use even if only for caching, and I have a feeling I'll need it sometime soon. I want to get it now while the getting's still semi-sane.
    I bought 32GB (4x8gB) of used DDR3 1866 registered server memory for $75 a few weeks ago on eBay. The prices of the standard consumer stuff is so much higher?

Allergic to Sunlight Storage is cool sedrosken's Avatar
    I bought 32GB (4x8gB) of used DDR3 1866 registered server memory for $75 a few weeks ago on eBay. The prices of the standard consumer stuff is so much higher?
    Oh my god, yes. It's not uncommon to see 2x8GB non-registed non-ECC stuff for well over $100 -- that I got my kit for only $70ish is a steal by comparison. And I was only after 1600! I can't imagine the prices on 1866.
    Last edited by sedrosken; 07-29-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    Phone: Moto Z Droid Force (didn't pay for it, can't complain) 32GB, 128GB microSD -- on my uncle's plan with Verizon.
    T450: 4300U, 16GB 3L-1600, HD 4400, 14" 1366x768, 128GB M.2 SSD/320GB SATA HDD, Win10Ent64, 6-cell extended batt (10hr avg)
    Eastham: GA-78LMT-USB3, Phenom II x6 1055T (@ 3.36GHz, +0.02v vcore), 16GB DDR3-1600 (soon 32GB), GT730 2GB GDDR5 (core @ 1.18GHz), 120GB SSD/4TB HDD, EVGA 600BQ, Win10Ent64

No, I don't work for the Germans. However, I'm in Germany now for two weeks visiting one of the company's German offices. They were all a few minutes late. 5 minutes max, but when your train change is 11 or 12 minutes it matters.
    Damn, that's not much time to change trains. It's like those stupid 35 minute airline connections that don't work out.
    --Lunar

Damn, that's not much time to change trains. It's like those stupid 35 minute airline connections that don't work out.
    I made them all, but it was a bit nerve-wracking.

Something new I saw today was a woman furiously brushing her teeth whilst making a left hand turn onto the highway at high speed. People are crazy.
    --Lunar

What do the Germans have against air conditioning anyhow?

What do the Germans have against air conditioning anyhow?
    Still? I thought they would have it in most places by now. I recall about 3 months sucked and that included August.
    --Lunar

Still? I thought they would have it in most places by now. I recall about 3 months sucked and that included August.
    No, it's like a point of pride that they don't need it or something. And, to make matters worse they don't seem to use it even if they have it.

Of course they're all at work in shorts and a t-shirt too. If I was in shorts and a t-shirt too I might feel differently about it.

No, it's like a point of pride that they don't need it or something. And, to make matters worse they don't seem to use it even if they have it.

Of course they're all at work in shorts and a t-shirt too. If I was in shorts and a t-shirt too I might feel differently about it.
    I have no idea what careers involve shorts and t-shirts. Are the women still extra hairy?
    --Lunar

I have no idea what careers involve shorts and t-shirts.
    Engineers doing product design, testing, and support.

Are the women still extra hairy?
    I can't say that I've noticed that.

Are the women still extra hairy?
    Okay, so I've been paying more attention now... The women have shaved legs. Their arms don't look hairy (like many guys) and I can't say that I've seen any of them with a mustache... So, now I have to ask. Extra hairy in what way?

Okay, so I've been paying more attention now... The women have shaved legs. Their arms don't look hairy (like many guys) and I can't say that I've seen any of them with a mustache... So, now I have to ask. Extra hairy in what way?
    On Saturdays we'd order pizza for the day shift and the women their sleeveless hairy armpits were reaching across the table over the piazzas.
    --Lunar

On Saturdays we'd order pizza for the day shift and the women their sleeveless hairy armpits were reaching across the table over the piazzas.
    Well, why didn't you just say hairy pits from the start? I haven't noticed that either, but I haven't gone around lifting up arms to check.

I second the . I once had a neighbor (not German) who didn't shave her armpits. In the summer it looked like she had a squirrel under each arm.
    We shall turn you into gas and pour you into the stratosphere. Nothing will remain of you, not a name in a register, not a memory in a living brain. You will be annihilated in the past as well as in the future. You will never have existed.

I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be.
    -Planet of the Apes ( 1968 )

Buchner, Buchner...
    --Lunar

Wotty wot wot. Storage Is My Life Chewy509's Avatar
    I know I haven't posted much recently, but that's mainly because I don't have much to say in addition to what has already been said...

Not much is going in my life at the moment... Work is picking up/getting more busy as more people are buying the companies primary product ( https://evimetry.com/ ), the kids are doing well in school and my wife's medical conditions* are currently (mostly) stable with the medication and physical therapy program she is on, but other than that, not much is going on in life.

*. I don't know if I've posted any of these in great detail... but she took getting used to having to use a wheel chair/walker on occasion recently quite hard... so much of my energy was trying to help her assist in the change. Also she's seeing an audiologist today to see how bad her hearing has become (she may need hearing aids).
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the US in the next few days as my European training adventure draws to a close. Being away for 4 weeks is a little long.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the US in the next few days as my European training adventure draws to a close. Being away for 4 weeks is a little long.
    4 weeks? I was stationed in Europe for a long time. After the first year it gets easier.
    --Lunar

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy509 View Post
    I know I haven't posted much recently, but that's mainly because I don't have much to say in addition to what has already been said...

Not much is going in my life at the moment... Work is picking up/getting more busy as more people are buying the companies primary product ( https://evimetry.com/ ), the kids are doing well in school and my wife's medical conditions* are currently (mostly) stable with the medication and physical therapy program she is on, but other than that, not much is going on in life.

*. I don't know if I've posted any of these in great detail... but she took getting used to having to use a wheel chair/walker on occasion recently quite hard... so much of my energy was trying to help her assist in the change. Also she's seeing an audiologist today to see how bad her hearing has become (she may need hearing aids).
    That's terrible. I've seen too many people try to take care of ill family members to the detriment of their own health. Take care of yourself and get caregiver help for her if it gets to that point.
    --Lunar

4 weeks? I was stationed in Europe for a long time. After the first year it gets easier.
    It's not exactly the same thing. I've been living out of a suitcase in hotel rooms for 4 weeks. If I had moved here for a long term assignment is have a different living arrangement and outlook.

4 weeks is enough of this IMO.

Wannabe Storage Freak
    I know I haven't posted much recently, but that's mainly because I don't have much to say
    Pretty much like most of posts/posters here. LOL.

Hopefully things will start to look up for your wife's medical condition and echoing what Lunar wrote don't neglect your own health.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

- Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

Wotty wot wot. Storage Is My Life Chewy509's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowhiker View Post
    Pretty much like most of posts/posters here. LOL.

Hopefully things will start to look up for your wife's medical condition and echoing what Lunar wrote don't neglect your own health.
    Thanks, unfortunately my wife's medical condition root cause is a genetic disorder ( EDS ), so there is little that can be done other than treating symptoms as they appear. We only found out the root cause of all her illness approx 18 mths ago, despite having symptoms for the last 35+ years (and seeing countless specialists over those years, etc). But now that we know the root cause, we have found a treatment plan that mostly works for her.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks, unfortunately my wife's medical condition root cause is a genetic disorder ( EDS ), so there is little that can be done other than treating symptoms as they appear. We only found out the root cause of all her illness approx 18 mths ago, despite having symptoms for the last 35+ years (and seeing countless specialists over those years, etc). But now that we know the root cause, we have found a treatment plan that mostly works for her.
    It's really amazing that it could not have been diagnosed in 35 years. Maybe a symptom of doctor's specialization. Glad she finally got a diagnosis leading to the best treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Howell View Post
    It's really amazing that it could not have been diagnosed in 35 years. Maybe a symptom of doctor's specialization. Glad she finally got a diagnosis leading to the best treatment.
    Most of the genetic disorders have no real treatments. I doubt they had the genetic tests back then.
    --Lunar

I returned my rented cable modem and a HD cable box today and swapped out my ~10 year old DVR for a new (to me) one. My old DVR apparently died while I was in Europe. I came back and found it totally dead.

While there I complained about the amount I was paying per month (~$142 before taxes and fees) so they ran the numbers on what it would cost me with their new Spectrum plans. To keep all the channels I have now (no premium channels) would increase my bill about $28 a month in their new multi-tier channel lineup to about $170 (before taxes and fees) and still not net me any premium channels (though I might get a few channels I don't currently have and don't care about). Even the bottom programming tier which is huge loss in the number of channels from what I have now is still more money than what I'm paying now. So far they're not pushing people off their legacy plans, but they admitted we would be forced onto the new plans soon enough. When that happens I'm going internet only and will buy seasons of the few shows I really care about on Blu-ray and come out way ahead over the year. I'm done paying so much for what it is. I'll get by with OTA and Blu-rays just fine.

A while ago I had a good digital OTA antenna mounted to the outside of the house and a cable routed in. I haven't found a solution I'm happy with yet; I'd love to connect said antenna to a network device of some kind and run a program on any computer to watch the stuff, but I haven't done the homework.
    Work1: i7-5930K@4.57Ghz, 64GB, 512GB Samsung XP941, 2x 290X
    Home1: i7-7700k@5Ghz, 32GB, 1TB 960 Evo, 2x 1080
    Home2: i7-6700k@4.4Ghz, 32GB@3Ghz, 2x SM951, 2x Titan X

Quote Originally Posted by ddrueding View Post
    I haven't found a solution I'm happy with yet; I'd love to connect said antenna to a network device of some kind and run a program on any computer to watch the stuff, but I haven't done the homework.
    HD Homerun is the hardware you're looking for. In terms of the software. I'm not so sure. I think Kodi supports them. I only record to disk from them with nPVR. I don't watch live though nPVR supports that too.

Thread Information