Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bluetooth speakers

I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
    Your post would be more understandable if you didn't mess up all the acronyms. The SRS-XB3 doesn't support aptX. It supports SBC, AAC, and LDAC. LDAC is the highest quality, but so far limited to only other Sony devices (reportedly they are opening it up to others). I don't know the priority order of the other two though. I think AAC support over Bluetooth is more of an Apple thing.

So my Sony Walkman uses LDAC with it. I presume my LG G4 phone and Nexus 7 (2013) tablet use SBC.
    I was hoping to avoid the echoes by implementing the aptX. Since that is not an option I'll continue with the TAO transceiver.
    --Lunar

I got my SRS-XB3 on Friday last week and have have a little bit of time to play with it. I'm enjoying it so far but I'm finding that I want to mount it higher up when using it in my kitchen because the off-axis sound is a lot muddier than I like. I get that it's tough for any speaker to be that good when so far off axis, so it's not a huge fault of this speaker but probably more indicative of the enclosure and the way they need to protect the drivers from damage, etc.

I also used the SRS-XB3 with a 3.5mm audio cable connected to my PC while traveling with it for a mini LAN party and it worked perfect for that usage. I left it plugged in while playing so I don't know how long the battery would have lasted if I hadn't used the wall adapter. Overall it feels of high quality and it does have a surprising amount of bass when played using the extra bass option. I realize the bass is overemphasized but in some quieter settings with the volume a bit lower it does a decent job filling in the low range. I plan to bring this to some tabletop gaming sessions as it will be nice to play some thematic music for a game.

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Glad to hear you like the SRS-XB3. I've found the battery life to be quite good. I've not had the battery die yet. Even after many hours of playback spread over several days. I've not done a runtime test to see if it really lasts 24 hours, but it seems plausible to me.

The GTK-XB7 arrived today. It's BIG! Like the size of an active PA speaker. The LED lights are somewhat cheesy. It has a somewhat different sound signature. More of a warm'ish "fun" sound. Not exactly a reference studio monitor. However, it is pleasant to listen to. There's a little too much upper bass emphasis in the native response. Enabling the Extra Bass gives it some deepish low end, but further bumps the upper bass. It seems well voiced for a party type speaker and the bass emphasis probably works well outdoors or in a large room away from walls. It can rattle things in the room, vibrate the floor, and has some of the feel it in your chest punch.

A number of the options for it can only be controlled with the Sony Music Center app (formerly Songpal) via Bluetooth. The remote and/or the buttons on the unit can't control the EQ preset or many of the lighting modes. It has a small cooling fan on the amplifier, but it's pretty quiet. If you pause the music and you listen very carefully you can hear it for a few seconds before it turns off.

I'm curious to see what the LED lighting looks like in the dark.

What are you doing with all of these speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by timwhit View Post
    What are you doing with all of these speakers?
    Add them to my collection of stuff I didn't need to buy but did. The GTK-XB7 will probably end up in the garage. The SRS-XB3's will be a portable setup I can travel with or take with me as necessary. The SRS-X88, not quite sure yet.

FWIW, I'm done buying Bluetooth speakers.

Didn't you mention that you are trying to buy less stuff you don't need?

Quote Originally Posted by timwhit View Post
    Didn't you mention that you are trying to buy less stuff you don't need?
    Not sure... But, if I did I'm sure I meant it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    I got my SRS-XB3 on Friday last week and have have a little bit of time to play with it. I'm enjoying it so far but I'm finding that I want to mount it higher up when using it in my kitchen because the off-axis sound is a lot muddier than I like. I get that it's tough for any speaker to be that good when so far off axis, so it's not a huge fault of this speaker but probably more indicative of the enclosure and the way they need to protect the drivers from damage, etc.

I also used the SRS-XB3 with a 3.5mm audio cable connected to my PC while traveling with it for a mini LAN party and it worked perfect for that usage. I left it plugged in while playing so I don't know how long the battery would have lasted if I hadn't used the wall adapter. Overall it feels of high quality and it does have a surprising amount of bass when played using the extra bass option. I realize the bass is overemphasized but in some quieter settings with the volume a bit lower it does a decent job filling in the low range. I plan to bring this to some tabletop gaming sessions as it will be nice to play some thematic music for a game.
    I have the feeling that the dispersion is compromised for the bass.

BTW, do you have a large SONY on the bottom where it is not normally visible? It is very strange.
    --Lunar

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMist View Post
    BTW, do you have a large SONY on the bottom where it is not normally visible? It is very strange.
    Yes, there is. At least it's on the bottom and not normally visible.

The speaker is also meant to be positioned on its side which would then reveal the Sony logo.

The speaker is also meant to be positioned on its side which would then reveal the Sony logo.
    Which will impress all your friends, like Mercutio, with your Sony speaker.

I'm pretty certain they wouldn't care. None of my friends show any kind of interest in audio components.

I'm pretty certain they wouldn't care. None of my friends show any kind of interest in audio components.
    Maybe you need new friends.

I'm a bad influence on people regarding audio. Just look at what's happened here.

I cannot figure out the two unit setup. The volume is synchronized and power on both turns off, but not back on again. I suppose it is due to the battery.
    --Lunar

I cannot figure out the two unit setup. The volume is synchronized and power on both turns off, but not back on again. I suppose it is due to the battery.
    What can't you figure out? Turn the master on first, then the slave. They'll sync back up in dual speaker mode.

What can't you figure out? Turn the master on first, then the slave. They'll sync back up in dual speaker mode.
    Turning the power off on both is possible from only one unit. That's not so useful if the user has to physically be at the location of both units for every power on sequence.
    I'm new to the whole Bluetooths transmission deal, so everything seems more difficult than it probably should be.
    --Lunar

Apparently I had the two units linked, but in mono. It's still not clear to me how they function in linked mode. If unit A is the Master, is it alone receiving the BT transmitter signal and sending another signal to unit B or are both always receiving the BT transmitter signal and communication between the two keeps them synced? I find at about 20-25 feet the two speakers sometimes lose sync and one is a fraction of a section ahead of the other.
    --Lunar

Apparently I had the two units linked, but in mono. It's still not clear to me how they function in linked mode. If unit A is the Master, is it alone receiving the BT transmitter signal and sending another signal to unit B or are both always receiving the BT transmitter signal and communication between the two keeps them synced? I find at about 20-25 feet the two speakers sometimes lose sync and one is a fraction of a section ahead of the other.
    Somehow it relies on the BT signal from the source although there is some weak link. The two units easily become out if sync even when linked. The line in does not link.
    --Lunar

Somehow it relies on the BT signal from the source although there is some weak link. The two units easily become out if sync even when linked. The line in does not link.
    I think that depends on a variety of factors. I've had the same sync issue a few times, but it's not common. How far apart are the speakers from each other and how far from the source are they?

Spacing between the speakers seems to be the issue over 12-15 feet.
    --Lunar

Looks like Massdrop has the Sony GTK-XB7 for $209.99 or $199.99 if they get 10 commitments. Seems like a decent price if you're looking to pick up another one.

Wannabe Storage Freak
    Looks like Massdrop has the Sony GTK-XB7 for $209.99 or $199.99 if they get 10 commitments. Seems like a decent price if you're looking to pick up another one.
    Sooooooooooooooooooo goddamn annoying that you have to sign up/register in order to see a web page.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

- Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

Quote Originally Posted by snowhiker View Post
    Sooooooooooooooooooo goddamn annoying that you have to sign up/register in order to see a web page.
    I thought it was just me.
    --Lunar

Not exactly a thrilling drop compared to the B&H deal I got.

I didn't see what you paid for the GTK-XB7. When I looked at your link at B&H the price was/is $248.

Yes, Massdrop is a pain that you need to sign in and I typically hate that BS. They occasionally have very good deals so I find them worth it.

I didn't see what you paid for the GTK-XB7. When I looked at your link at B&H the price was/is $248.
    FWIW, I paid $198 with free shipping.

Well then of course it's not a thrilling deal but if you're looking to get one now, it's the best price currently available that I could find in a limited amount of searching.

I'm finally using the XB3s on either side of the bed in the stereo configuration. I boosted the highs to compensate for the directional falloff (and my aging ears) and cut the lows a little, so they sound nice at a moderate level for background music. I'm not having BT issues with the speakers in a fixed position.
    --Lunar

Thread Information