Thread: Server rack suggestions?

Server rack suggestions?

Has anyone purchased a new or used server rack to hold all their gear in their home labs? I'm looking into something in the 22U to 24U size to put in my basement. I'd like it to have side panels and possibly room for a power strip or two. I've seen people in forums recommend for local craigslist sales (which I'll search for) but I'm curious if there are any recommended brands from past experience or places to buy them? Any things to watch out for?

Really happy with the APC racks, but they are some of the most expensive. I have a cheap 42U 4-poster in the living room at home, no brand or anything. I will be getting rid of it in the next few months, but shipping to you would cost more than a local rack.
    Work1: i7-5930K@4.57Ghz, 64GB, 512GB Samsung XP941, 2x 290X
    Home1: i7-7700k@5Ghz, 32GB, 1TB 960 Evo, 2x 1080
    Home2: i7-6700k@4.4Ghz, 32GB@3Ghz, 2x SM951, 2x Titan X

I like the APC racks we have in our lab but like you said they tend to be expensive from the limited searching I've done on them. I also can't easily fit a full 42U in my basement...well, maybe I could but I really don't need that much space. Another rack company that I've seem recommended is Rack Solutions. They are also a bit on the expensive side once I spec out a 24U rack with the options. Once configured, it's around $960.

Storage? I am Storage! blakerwry's Avatar
    I'd watch out for older racks (stuff 10+ years old) if you plan to install servers. Many new servers are too deep for them, and a lot of the old racks don't provide room for cable management. Newer stuff from APC, Tripp-lite, Dell should be well built and include these features. I personally prefer racks with square holes that let you install your own screws and nuts (typically clip in); I would stay away from racks with threaded or round holes. I also prefer racks with clear designations at each U.

Serial computer killer Hairy Aussie CougTek's Avatar
    I bought this Tripp-Lite rack during the holidays, for hosting our company's servers and networking hardware. Cost about a thousand U$.

I've received it las week, but haven't had the time to transfer the servers into it (will have to plan a 2-day shutdown during a week-end). It's still all wrapped up, so I don't have any comment about it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions. The 42U you linked to Coug is a bit too much for me but they do have a 25U that would work great. It's still close to $1000 though.

Quote Originally Posted by CougTek View Post
    I bought this Tripp-Lite rack during the holidays, for hosting our company's servers and networking hardware. Cost about a thousand U$.

I've received it las week, but haven't had the time to transfer the servers into it (will have to plan a 2-day shutdown during a week-end). It's still all wrapped up, so I don't have any comment about it yet.
    Well, I moved the servers and networking gears to the new rack this week-end and it's too short for the HPE StoreEasy 1650 Expanded. It's very tight with the 3PAR rails too. The rear lateral PSU management also are useless since the rack is so short that the server rails overlap the rear 0U management. You can't fit a PSU in their.

However, I've still figured out how to fit everything. I put velcro on the side and holds the PSUs with it. The StoreEasy sit at the bottom on a shelf. Overall, it's still an improvement. I didn't have enough space for a deeper rack anyway.

I've worked 22 hours this week-end. I carried both the old and the new rack in and out of the server room, on my shoulders. All the servers too, although I had help to install them back on the rails. That was quite a workout.

I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Why do they make you work so much on the weekends? Do you get comp time or some other benefit?
    --Lunar

The T100 never sleeps.

Not really a Hairy Aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMist View Post
    Why do they make you work so much on the weekends? Do you get comp time or some other benefit?
    When do you think the servers are idle and can be taken offline? During business hours M-F?

I'm considering getting this StarTech 25U Adjustable Depth Open Frame 4 Post Server rack. It comes shipped in a flat pack which would make it easier to get into my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    The T100 never sleeps.
    It's T-800.

As for compensation, they don't offer enough. But you can't plan a global system shutdown on a monday morning either, so I didn't have a choice to do it during a week-end.

We often use a Black Box 25U rack on coaster to setup customers' architectures. It doesn't have any cable management, but it's sturdy and cheap. You can combine it with cable managers to do a cleaner build.

Looks good but it says it's 22U and I need at least 24 preferably a little more. Their next size up is 37U which is a little too big unfortunately.

Thread Information