Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 95 of 95

Thread: Are people open to changing the forum software again? Please leave feedback.

  1. #51
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Howell View Post
    Mobile: Once you've read to the bottom of a thread it would be nice if there was a no more than 2 click way to get to the unread thread list.
    Can you give me a little more info? Is this the same as scrolling to the top and clicking "new posts"? I guess what I'm asking is if "new posts" was also at the bottom of the thread does that address your concern?

  2. #52
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    I agree that the little dots are troublesome to navigate with. I'll look into a way to address that.

  3. #53
    Wotty wot wot. Storage Is My Life Chewy509's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast Hinterland, Australia
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,755
    I have a feature request. Is it possible to have a user option that controls how YouTube video links are displayed. I think Dave mentioned that he prefers plain links but others prefer the embedded video. I know it's minor, but allowing the user to select their preferred method would be nice.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

  4. #54
    Fixture ddrueding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    19,131
    I prefer the embedded video, but I remember someone mentioning that it broke something in the mobile client. If that isn't an issue in the new system I'd rather go back to embedded.
    Work1: i7-5930K@4.57Ghz, 64GB, 512GB Samsung XP941, 2x 290X
    Home1: i7-7700k@5Ghz, 32GB, 1TB 960 Evo, 2x 1080
    Home2: i7-6700k@4.4Ghz, 32GB@3Ghz, 2x SM951, 2x Titan X

  5. #55
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    If I'm understanding your request it sounds like you want this to be rendered based on individual user preference. I'll see what options I can add but natively I don't think the forum does what you've requested. As it is now it may just be one or the other in regards to embedded or not.

  6. #56
    Wannabe Storage Freak
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    I'm very satisfied with the current BBS software, its up-time and performance. Thanks again for your work on the site and it's upkeep.

    I don't view site via a mobile device so I don't require a change. But if any change(s) helps you more easily administer the site go for it.

    Really do not like the text font on the site. With my 43" 4k monitor I enlarge the text quite a bit so it's easier to read but the new font is "harder" to read/see even enlarged. Can I change that on my end?

    Quote Originally Posted by CougTek View Post
    Nothing really bad with the demo site. Small annoyances :

    I don't like the pastel orange color of some elements.
    I don't see where to chose another color scheme.
    My avatar didn't follow like the one of some others.
    I've seen "points" and "likes" in the members section. Do we really need these?

    This is mostly nitpicking and none of the above are show stopper.
    Agree with Coug. Don't care for the orange and don't see where to change it. Don't care either way for avatars. Don't care about "points" or "likes" either.

    Quote Originally Posted by ddrueding View Post
    I prefer the embedded video.
    Either way is fine. You can click the "go to site" button on an embedded video if you want the URL.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

    - Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

  7. #57
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    Quote Originally Posted by snowhiker View Post
    I'm very satisfied with the current BBS software, its up-time and performance. Thanks again for your work on the site and it's upkeep.

    I don't view site via a mobile device so I don't require a change. But if any change(s) helps you more easily administer the site go for it.

    Really do not like the text font on the site. With my 43" 4k monitor I enlarge the text quite a bit so it's easier to read but the new font is "harder" to read/see even enlarged. Can I change that on my end?



    Agree with Coug. Don't care for the orange and don't see where to change it. Don't care either way for avatars. Don't care about "points" or "likes" either.



    Either way is fine. You can click the "go to site" button on an embedded video if you want the URL.
    Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried either of the other two themes installed on the new forum? You can change by clicking in the lower left corner where it says "default style". Let me know if either of those styles helps with the font. They use the fontawesome pack.

    I'm also working on getting a new logo to modernize it a bit more.

  8. #58
    Wannabe Storage Freak
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried either of the other two themes installed on the new forum? You can change by clicking in the lower left corner where it says "default style". Let me know if either of those styles helps with the font. They use the fontawesome pack.

    I'm also working on getting a new logo to modernize it a bit more.
    OK see where to change the style now. I like the "Flat Awesome" fonts. Of course the logo and "bars" need to be changed to the StorageForum blue instead of red.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

    - Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

  9. #59
    Wannabe Storage Freak
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    I just noticed the facebook and twitter javascripts, are those needed for mobile logins? Or needed at all? I'll just noscript them off anyways so no biggie. New site has qikl.us script that I'd enable if needed. Old site didn't have a script save for the google analytics one?
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

    - Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

  10. #60
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    Quote Originally Posted by snowhiker View Post
    I just noticed the facebook and twitter javascripts, are those needed for mobile logins? Or needed at all? I'll just noscript them off anyways so no biggie. New site has qikl.us script that I'd enable if needed. Old site didn't have a script save for the google analytics one?
    Yeah this has been brought up a few times. Seems people seem suspicious about them. The new forum software integrates with social media. I can disable some of them and they are not at all required for using the forum. There is also the option to log in using an external authentication source such as Google, Twitter, or Facebook if I enable those.

    I've not enabled google analytics on the demo site. I'll enable it once the site officially moves over. I don't want to track demo traffic to a different domain name anyway. It's obviously up to you if you want to block or enable it.

  11. #61
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    Quote Originally Posted by snowhiker View Post
    OK see where to change the style now. I like the "Flat Awesome" fonts. Of course the logo and "bars" need to be changed to the StorageForum blue instead of red.
    Yeah I have a bit of work to do with adjusting the styling and colors. It's on my list. Tonight I'm tuning the database parameters to make sure we don't use beyond the amount of RAM on the system.

  12. #62
    Wannabe Storage Freak
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    Missing elements? I enabled all scripts and reloaded page.

    missing elements.JPG

    Edit: Ghostery not blocking anything. Nothing to block. and disabled ABP as well. Still missing elements?
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

    - Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

  13. #63
    Wannabe Storage Freak
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    Yeah I have a bit of work to do with adjusting the styling and colors. It's on my list. Tonight I'm tuning the database parameters to make sure we don't use beyond the amount of RAM on the system.
    Obviously colors are number 600 on the list of things you need to make sure are working perfectly first. Dark-blue, Medium-blue, Light-blue and Black text on white background are the only colors we need.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

    - Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

  14. #64
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    Quote Originally Posted by snowhiker View Post
    Missing elements? I enabled all scripts and reloaded page.

    missing elements.JPG

    Edit: Ghostery not blocking anything. Nothing to block. and disabled ABP as well. Still missing elements?
    Where on the forum are you seeing this?!? Does this happen if you use a private browser window or incognito mode?

  15. #65
    Wannabe Storage Freak
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    Where on the forum are you seeing this?!? Does this happen if you use a private browser window or incognito mode?
    The main page: https://www.qikl.us/index.php upper right corner.

    Win7 Pro, Firefox 48, regular session, not private or incognito mode. Some more missing "buttons."

    missing elements2.JPGmissing elements3.JPG


    EDIT: Default style working OK, must be missing or mis-configured elements in the different styles.
    EDIT2: I actually like the Default style better (it seems more polished) than the Flat Awesome just don't like the default font.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

    - Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

  16. #66
    Storage? I am Storage! mubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in time.
    Posts
    4,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    I'm not seeing an issue with the start date being blank on any of the three styles. Can you post a screen capture of where you're seeing this so I can look into it more?
    To different styles, two different forum sections.
    SF-1.PNGSF-2.PNG

  17. #67
    Wannabe Storage Freak
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    ^^^ Exactly. Thanks mubs. I was just going to post the same pics.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

    - Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

  18. #68
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    Quote Originally Posted by snowhiker View Post
    The main page: https://www.qikl.us/index.php upper right corner.

    Win7 Pro, Firefox 48, regular session, not private or incognito mode. Some more missing "buttons."

    missing elements2.JPGmissing elements3.JPG


    EDIT: Default style working OK, must be missing or mis-configured elements in the different styles.
    EDIT2: I actually like the Default style better (it seems more polished) than the Flat Awesome just don't like the default font.
    That is odd. I'm not seeing that problem with Firefox 48. I have ghostery and uBlock plugins. This is what I see:

    forum_thread_views.jpg forum_stats.jpg

  19. #69
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    Quote Originally Posted by mubs View Post
    To different styles, two different forum sections.
    SF-1.PNGSF-2.PNG
    Ahh! Thanks mubs; I totally didn't even see that until now. I'll look into it.

  20. #70
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    mubs, I'm curious if it's just a crappy formatting issue? If I really make my browser window smaller there is a date under the thread title. This is totally a layout issue but I'm thinking this is why it doesn't look right when the browser window is very wide.

    start_date_issue.jpg

    start_date_issue_worse.jpg

  21. #71
    Wannabe Storage Freak
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    That is odd. I'm not seeing that problem with Firefox 48. I have ghostery and uBlock plugins. This is what I see:

    forum_thread_views.jpg forum_stats.jpg
    Weird. If I'm the only one with the missing elements it's probably on my end. Not a concern. I'd just like the "flat awesome" text font on the DEFAULT style with standard storageforum DK-Blue, Blue, Li-Blue, black-on-white colors and I'd be happy.

    Thanks again for getting the new BBS software up and running.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

    - Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

  22. #72
    Storage? I am Storage! mubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in time.
    Posts
    4,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    mubs, I'm curious if it's just a crappy formatting issue? If I really make my browser window smaller there is a date under the thread title. This is totally a layout issue but I'm thinking this is why it doesn't look right when the browser window is very wide.
    You're right, Handy, there is a date next to the OP's handle under the thread title for every thread. I just didn't pay attention to it; my bad. I saw the Start Date column header and assumed the dates should be there in a column. This isn't a biggie; no need to sweat this one now that we know where it is. Thanks!

  23. #73
    Storage? I am Storage! Howell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    Can you give me a little more info? Is this the same as scrolling to the top and clicking "new posts"? I guess what I'm asking is if "new posts" was also at the bottom of the thread does that address your concern?
    Exactly. I found the home button plus New posts would get me there in two clicks but a new posts button at the bottom would be even better.

  24. #74
    Fatwah on Western Digital Fixture Mercutio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    I am omnipresent
    Posts
    20,329
    The proposed new forum software looks really nice. I like the fancy previews.

  25. #75
    Storage? I am Storage! Bozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Posts
    4,378
    Whatever you decide is fine with me, especially if it makes it easier for you.
    Bozo

  26. #76
    Storage? I am Storage! Clocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,527
    The improvements from the new software sound great. I support whatever is easiest for you to manage, Doug, and appreciate all you do to maintain this community.

  27. #77
    I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,775
    I'm still not finding any quick way to get to the last post in a thread, i.e., Last Message just lists the poster name.
    To get to the last post, I am clicking on the thread, selecting the last page number, and then scrolling all the way to the bottom.
    Is that just the way it is? I see there is a "latest" in the higher level page for the whole forum, which is good.
    --Lunar

  28. #78
    Storage is cool sdbardwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    North San Diego County
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMist View Post
    I'm still not finding any quick way to get to the last post in a thread, i.e., Last Message just lists the poster name.
    To get to the last post, I am clicking on the thread, selecting the last page number, and then scrolling all the way to the bottom.
    Is that just the way it is? I see there is a "latest" in the higher level page for the whole forum, which is good.
    Clicking the date under the author of the last post takes me to the last post.

  29. #79
    I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,775
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbardwick View Post
    Clicking the date under the author of the last post takes me to the last post.
    The dates are in some pale grey color and not linked to anything. I'm using Win 7 if that makes any difference.
    --Lunar

  30. #80
    Storage is cool sdbardwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    North San Diego County
    Posts
    538
    Inside the fora the dates under "Last Message" are still grey, but linked. The ones at higher levels are grey and not linked.

    EDIT: "Last" not "Latest";

  31. #81
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    This is an item on my list of things to address. Going to the last page and most recent posts just be simple for us users and not require a ton of steps so I will work on making this more intuitive. I haven't had much time later this week to work on the new forum. I'm traveling this weekend so I may not have time until Sunday.

    My hope is to have most of the major concerns addressed and then make them available to demo before we switch over. I appreciate the feedback and I welcome the criticism. I'll be sure to post for more feedback once I've addressed the items in this thread. I'll try to make an updated list so we can keep track.

  32. #82
    I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,775
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbardwick View Post
    Inside the fora the dates under "Last Message" are still grey, but linked. The ones at higher levels are grey and not linked.

    EDIT: "Last" not "Latest";
    Apparently the links only exist when one is logged in. Very strange.
    --Lunar

  33. #83
    Storage? I am Storage! Tannin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Ballarat, Oz
    Posts
    4,372
    Up to you Doug. Happy with whatever you think best.
    It's only crap after it fails. Until then it is the performance deal of the moment. - Dave

  34. #84
    Storage is cool sdbardwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    North San Diego County
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Up to you Doug. Happy with whatever you think best.
    My opinion as well! I do love the light-on-dark theme in the new software.

  35. #85
    Hairy Aussie timwhit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,256
    Doug, any update on the upgrade? I've been deleting lots of spam lately.

  36. #86
    I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,775
    Thanks for deleting the spammers. Are they bots?
    --Lunar

  37. #87
    Hairy Aussie timwhit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,256
    Yes, all of them are bots.

  38. #88
    I can't believe I'm a Fixture LunarMist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,775
    Quote Originally Posted by timwhit View Post
    Yes, all of them are bots.
    Bummer. It is like there is an army of those bastards.

    Capture.PNG
    --Lunar

  39. #89
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    Quote Originally Posted by timwhit View Post
    Doug, any update on the upgrade? I've been deleting lots of spam lately.
    I haven't had time to work out the last of the items I need to get done. My apologies for the delay, I hope to have time soon to get us moved over. Thanks for helping out with the spam, I have also seen a larger amount coming in recently and have been actively deleting new accounts that are spammers.

  40. #90
    Wannabe Storage Freak
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    Being someone with a bit of OCD, and not liking change. Take your time Doug. LMAO.
    - 3770k, 212 EVO, Z77X-UD4H, 32GB, 660w, Titan, 840 Pro/256GB, 2TB & 1TB, Define R4, P4317Q & ZR24w, Unicomp/104, Win7 Pro x64.

    - Nikon D610 w/grip, 50mm/1.4G, 16-35mm/4G, 105mm/2.8G micro, 200-500mm/5.6E.

  41. #91
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    Small update: I'm still working on some back-end components and things are moving slow. I've built up some scripting that can be used to rebuild the entire server and all the components in the event of a disaster so that recreation is easier manage. To do this I need to be destructive to the dev environment in order to test and being that this is a cloud provider it is making things easier for me to demo. Once this scripting and documenting is done, I can share the scripts/code such that others can help with continuing the site's persistence in the event something happens to me. With that said, progress has been slow mostly because of personal events. Nothing bad or serious, just time-consuming stuff that has taken away my time from working on this.

  42. #92
    Storage? I am Storage! mubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in time.
    Posts
    4,908
    Thanks Handy for all the efforts, time and money you put in for the community! And no worries, nothing is going to happen to you, you'll be around taking care of this!

    Best,

    m

  43. #93
    Hairy Aussie timwhit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,256
    Let me know if you need any help, Doug. What kind of scripts are you using?

  44. #94
    NVIDIA> AMD Fixture Handruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,416
    Thanks, I'll let you know. Once I get things working a little better I may be asking for a review of it. I have a collection of bash scripts that I've written to configure new domains on the server and to manage nginx for things like adding the TLS certificates from Let's Encrypt and also for managing the certificate renewals every 90 days. I'm working to have a more automated way of installing all the Linux packages I want along with configuring them. I'm guessing this could be done with a container (which you've mentioned in the past) and Kubernetes or possibly something like Chef/Ansible.

  45. #95
    Hairy Aussie timwhit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,256
    I don't think I'd introduce chef for a single system based on my previous experience with it. Though it may have improved over the last two years.

    I'd probably try to use straight docker first before adding additional complexity.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •