Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cloud Backup

You can exceed the limit 2x per year without any overage charges. I took advantage of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
    You can exceed the limit 2x per year without any overage charges. I took advantage of this month.
    Ah interesting.

As the clock ticks down to the end of my Crashplan service I'm going to switch over to using Backblaze for my desktop for offsite backups. For onsite, I'm starting to build a PoC using Arq + minio. My plan is to run a Linux VM that hosts Minio as an object store which is Amazon S3 compatible. This way I can find and use any object store client on any machine to backup to this VM and I can independently add more NAS servers and/or Minio servers over time as-needed to grow.

I don't know how it will perform but if this overly-complicated setup sounds interesting I can share more results once I get this working.

I ended up switching over to Crashplan Small Business. One of my computers had 8TB in the archive, even though I unselected some things to get it under 5TB, when I converted the entire backup was lost. It's going to take like 2-3 months to get it backed up again. I am already 250GB over on my Comcast 1TB allotment. They give you two courtesy months to go over a year, so this shouldn't cost me anything.

That really stinks the backup was lost. I would have similar issues if I tried to convert mine over to the small business account. Crashplan thinks I have 16TB to move but I've reshuffled a lot of stuff and I'm down to 2.5TB. I've tried doing the compact but it didn't make a difference. Backblaze on the other hand seems to think it will take 209 days for me to backup 2.5TB to their service. I've configured their app to do the fastest backups it allows using 6 threads but the most it pushes is about 30Mb/sec.

I think that it's clear that Crashplan is garbage all around. Even after dumping so many customers, they're too big for their britches.

I'm waiting for the class action suit.
    It's not what you know, but who you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Handruin View Post
    As the clock ticks down to the end of my Crashplan service I'm going to switch over to using Backblaze for my desktop for offsite backups. For onsite, I'm starting to build a PoC using Arq + minio. My plan is to run a Linux VM that hosts Minio as an object store which is Amazon S3 compatible. This way I can find and use any object store client on any machine to backup to this VM and I can independently add more NAS servers and/or Minio servers over time as-needed to grow.

I don't know how it will perform but if this overly-complicated setup sounds interesting I can share more results once I get this working.
    Why go this route rather than just SFTP or even a network share?

What advantage does running a Minio VM bring over just using a straight-up file server?

I tried the network share option but could not get Arq to connect to my NAS via UNC paths which are CIFS shares provided by samba. I have several of these mapped as network drives to my various windows workstations but Arq can't seem to connect to them. I wasn't aware of the SFTP option so I'll take a look at that.

As things stand today I have two file servers. I can dump files to them however and whenever I want. The problem is how to manage backup sets for having proper ways to recover data over time if I just use them as a sync? I could simply just use rsync or some equivalent utility. The industry caters to Amazon and their S3 cloud storage in a lot of ways. With all that said, the ability to find a backup utility that works with an Amazon S3 interface may have a longer life span and variety over a propriety way of building a client/server relation.

I admit fully that I'm taking on extra complexity by doing this and this might not be the most practical approach. I'm not trying to convince anyone here that this is the best way to manage backups. I want to experiment and learn more about how this works. This could give me the ability to add any type of storage behind minio and the variations in backend storage will be invisible to whatever is using it on the front end of things. I can also host multiple share-nothing VMs to improve performance and availability.

I've yet to have any problems backing up to my NAS. Were you using the mapped drives or the UNCs in Arq?

I guess my theory is that backup should be simple and safe. Experimenting is fine, but not with data that one might need.

As local storage, I don't see what Minio brings to the table that one cannot get some other way. You can run a simple file server in a VM and abstract the physical storage and, with the right hypervisor, get failover.

I was not able to see any mapped drives through Arq and every different way I tried to map the share location using their UNC dialog, I got nothing but errors returned that Arq could not find the path. I know they work because I'm using them.

When you say a simple file server what components do you define as part of that? Is that a basic samba setup?

When I select "a folder on your harddrive or NAS," there's already a list of SMB shares there. Granted, all of them are both mapped to drive letters and already set-up for back-up to Google Drive. So, Arq already "knows" about them.

The hardware and whatever software is sufficient to run it. I'd say that Samba is basic enough.

I've switch over to using Duplicati as my desktop backup client. They support several different OSes and a wide range of options to send your backups to. The utility is free and is an open source project. Right now my primary backup set is going to my NAS and I'm still working on a new remote location for my backups.

G Suite has been doing okkay for me. I have run into their invisible transaction limits every once in a while, but I'm well away from the invisible data limit.

Thread Information